Concert talk

Since the dawn of time, one genre of music has dominated and ruled with an iron fist

Moderators: BFenix, Apollyon

Re: Concert talk

Postby BFenix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Guys, have any of you been to a Tankard gig?
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Apollyon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

BFenix wrote:Guys, have any of you been to a Tankard gig?

Why yes, yes of course! They are great fun. Just make sure you do not drink too much beer so you can still enjoy the show. :-)

http://youtu.be/NgCRPriksBk
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby BFenix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Apollyon wrote:

Why yes, yes of course! They are great fun. Just make sure you do not drink too much beer so you can still enjoy the show. :-)

Awesome. I know the band but never went to a concert. They're coming over on my birthday, ahah!
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Apollyon wrote:

Going by their lyrics, I'd assume that's exactly what they're expecting you to do.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Bragallot » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Gonna leave for PPM Fest from Friday to Sunday. Looking forward to seeing Avantasia, FireForce, Stratovarius, Alestorm, Queensryche and of course GAMMA RAY, and maybe discover a few new bands as well.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Bragallot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Back. Myrath, Shadowside, Seven Kingdoms, FireForce, Stratovarius, Orphaned Land, Gamma Ray and Solisia kicked ass.

Most other bands were okay, too.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby BFenix » Sun May 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Fuck yeah, two days from today we're having Maiden over here to set off the european tour! First Maiden concert for me, gonna be epic!

How did the tour go over seas, US/Canada folks?
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 am

I've just been to Graspop, it was awesome. I saw:

Friday

- Generation Kill - Thrash band with the frontman of Exodus, sadly I was a little too late and they stopped too early so I didn't really catch much of it.
- Heathen - pretty good thrash opener on the mainstage. 7/10
- Grave Digger - awesome classic heavy metal as always on the mainstage, 9.5/10
- Helloween - third time seeing these power metal gods, first time in open air, this might have been the best performance of them I've seen yet. 'Waiting for the thunder' was an absolute high point, 8.5/10
- Korpiklaani - nicely varied folk metal, though they played a few slower, almost doom-y songs too, it made a great combination. Vodka! 7/10
- Prong - Three-piece band with a real rock'n'roll attitude to their metal, sublime guitarist that manages to surprise you with his voice and his endless arsenal of nifty hooks and unpredictable melodies. I'm definitely going to buy the album, 9/10
- Coal Chamber - These guys had to fill in for Soulfly because of a traffic jam, the music wasn't great, but they kept me entertained for the better part of an hour and also kept two moshpits going for most of the show, they were entertaining in a weird, absurd kind of way. 6.5/10
- Katatonia - Very dark, emotional, doomy gothic-y band, I thought they were a lot of fun, and provided a welcome moment to catch my breath. 8/10
- Soulfly - This is one of my favourite bands, but it's the worst Soulfly performance I've ever seen. It was lazy and sloppy, and they didn't play anything from the masterpieces that are Conquer and The Dark Ages. Maybe that's a good thing, because they didn't do any justice to the excellent album material. Max Cavalera should do something about his voice, bring some energy back to the stage, clean up his setlist and put Joe Nunez back on drums, because his son just can't replace him. 4/10
- Twisted Sister - After last year's unexpectedly glorious performance I feared expectations would be too high and people would be disappointed, but Twisted Sister confirmed with a to me, even better set... It's a testimony to their performance that even though the rain was pouring down all the show most people stayed to watch, 9.5/10

Saturday

- Brainstorm - Like Heathen before them, this heavy / power metal band did a pretty solid job at warming up the audience as the first band on the mainstage, 7/10
- Amaranthe - Amaranthe's mix of metal and dance is shocking to say the least, but they really know how to put up a good show, they perform their songs really well and though you can barely believe it when you're bouncing to their dancy tunes at the Graspop Metal Festival, the music is actually not all *that* bad, I wouldn't buy an album but they're highly entertaining live, 8/10
- Rockstar - Cover band with Tim Ripper Owens, they played classics such as Rainbow in the Dark, Heaven and Hell, Ace of Spades, and Ripper did a very good job imitating Dio's voice, too. 7.5/10
- Tankard - missed out on part of this show so I can't really give it a score, but generally it's quite entertaining Thrash, not the best, but certainly entertaining.
- Dunderbeist - These guys kinda surprised me, I had very low expectations but I stayed all the show in the front row. Not all of their songs were great, but these guys know how to have fun, and near the end, when they started singing in their native Norwegian, it became really good: 6.5/10
- Aura Noir - This is a thrash band that will really kick your ass, and kicked many people's ass at Graspop. I was at the front row and just couldn't stop banging my head, the music made me do it. Also, Apollyon is a member of this band: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Moe , 8.5/10
- U.D.O. - U.D.O. laid down one of the two best performances of the festival. His setlist was amazing, including somewhat (to me) unexpected favourites like Vendetta and 24/7, and of course when he played Accept classics Metal Heart and Balls To The Wall at the end of the set it leads to one of the most awesome crowd moments of the entire festival. His voice was as powerful as ever, there's no stopping this Metal Machine, 10/10
- Within Temptation - Within Temptation was very solid, the set was about what you'd expect and not much different from when I saw them on Werchter the year before, lots of new material with some older singles, the only mistake they made is playing that damned Lana Del Rey cover Summertime Sadness, it wasn't *that* bad, but goddamnit, their own songs are much better. Sharon's voice soared above everything and they had clearly made their sound a bit heavier for the occasion. 8.5/10
- Down - Fortunately I didn't see everything, but what I did see was uninteresting, forced, and downright terrible. Further proof that Dimebag and not Phil was the driving force behind Pantera, I would say...
- Saxon - Didn't see everything here either, it was too old-school for me...
- Iced Earth - I'm just getting into Iced Earth and damn, they rock. The crowd went pretty much insane, only to sing along the emotional (parts of) songs next, very strong set, 8.5/10

Sunday

- Voodoo Six - Neither terrible nor remarkably good hard rock performance, it served to warm up the audience, 6.5/10
- Winterfylleth - I can't help it, I'm not all that into Black Metal. The singing and guitar work really needs some work for the most part, the drummer kicked ass though, 5/10
- Moonspell - Some songs of this doom band were quite good, others weren't, 6/10
- God Seed - Sorry if you like this band, but to me this was absolutely worthless, 0/10
- Karma to Burn - Instrumental rock, this was very good, with a very talented guitarist, even though it became somewhat same-y towards the end, 7/10
- Ghost - Ghost have grown a lot as a band since I saw them as the opener for Paradise Lost, very, very good performance, original, entertaining style, sometimes groovy, sometimes haunting, this band was one of the best I've seen, 9/10
- Epica - Pretty powerful performance with a pregnant Simone Simons/ I wasn't expecting it to be like this heavy, but it kept me entertained, 8/10
- Iron Maiden - Not Maiden's best performance, the sound and Bruce's voice were slightly off, the Trooper was played faaaar too fast, of course it wasn't bad, but Maiden can do better. They didn't even fill up their time, they still had enough time to return to play Hallowed Be Thy Name, but everyone was rushing to the Marquee to see King Diamond, 7/10
- King Diamond - Stunning, stunning, stunning. This man is a genius. Heavy as fuck, yet crystal clear-sounding, and King Diamond still hits the high notes perfectly. Very good setlist that covered a lot of his albums, he was the best together with U.D.O. He really knows how to create the atmosphere of his music on the stage... Go see him if you can. 10/10

I saw bits and pieces of other bands too but I don't really wanna say too much about bands I didn't really 'commit' to seeing.
Last edited by Bragallot on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Apollyon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:52 pm

That's quite a bunch of bands you saw there! How's the festival all around? Apart from the performing bands i mean. I recon it is one of the largest in Europe and i always loved the Dynamo and think of the Graspop as its inofficial successor.
Regarding Winterfylleth... guitars and vocals are supposed to sound like that in black metal. :-) Great band.
Maiden were quite good two weeks ago when they were in Berlin.
Thumbs up for King Diamond. I saw him at the RocK Hard which took place during pentecost and the gig was just as great.

Also, i do not play in Aura Noir. Nor in Immortal. ;-)
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Bragallot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 am

Your real name is not Ole Moe? Damnit I was so close.

Yup, lots of bands, and I would've seen Kreator and Testament too, but since Soulfly was delayed they played together with Kreator, and Testament played at the same time as King Diamond, so sadly I missed out on those. I would've seen Overkill too but they were cancelled for some obscure reason, so I bought my ticket thinking I was gonna see Testament, Kreator and Overkill, and ended up seeing none of them :lol: Kreator will be back later this summer though on a gig where VENOM and Powerwolf (among others) will also play.

Maiden wasn't really bad or anything, they were much better when I saw them 2-3 years before at Pukkelpop though.

I may be biased, but I'd say it's definitely the best festival in Belgium by far... Last year a lot of bands on the mainstage (Sabaton and Megadeth especially) had terrible sound problems, this year the sound in the marquees and metal dome was perfect and the mainstage was pretty good too. The organization is solid, there's a lot of different food, generally enough space (although the last day was pretty crowded because so many people came to see Iron Maiden). The people are really nice, I talked to a lot of strangers (sorry Dio) of different nationalities and in all my time there haven't had any trouble with anyone...

There was this one guy who was kinda irritating during Iced Earth, but eh, so what.

Some of the bands on the mainstage aren't really what I wanna see (Papa Roach, Korn, Slipknot, last year we had Limp Bizkit) and generally I think there's usually a bit of a lack of power metal, there's more the traditional kind of bands that are sometimes (mistakenly, imo) called Power Metal like Grave Digger or U.D.O. but few that are very clearly power metal like for instance Gamma Ray. Sometimes I also think there's a bit too much 'filler' of metalcore and hardcore bands, but usually there's at least one decent band playing at the same time. If they could replace a few of those bands with Belgian bands like Iron Mask, FireForce, Dyscordia, Manic Movement, the Seventh, Warbeast and so on (yeah, we do actually have a bunch of good, if not that well-known bands), that would make an improvement.

I've tried listening to Black Metal, but I can't really tell the difference between most songs. I suppose the closest I've gotten to liking some of it is liking some CoF songs, the Seventh (live) and now Aura Noir (who I thought were more thrashy than they were black, but who am I to argue).
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby BFenix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 am

Some pretty :666: days uh? Man, I wished there were festivals with that amount and variety of bands on this side of the world. We have one or two great events per year but that's it.

I already made a pact with a friend of mine. Next year, I'll already have my license so we're road trippin' to a big show. Either Wacken or BOA or Techfest if they do it again next year.
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Bragallot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah, we definitely get some good festivals here, and a lot of them, too.

I suppose it's even better in Germany though, when I look at pretty much every metal band's tour dates... Also bands like Gamma Ray, Guano Apes and Rage only drop by in Belgium very sporadically. But I really can't complain since German people probably have to drive much bigger distances to get everywhere.

Master@Rock has Therap y? on the first day, and VENOM, Kreator, the Guano Apes and Powerwolf on the next.

Lokerse Feesten has a yearly metal day, this year it's Ugly Kid Joe, Anvil, Trivium, Motörhead (until they cancelled), Fear Factory and Sabaton. I'm going the day Deep Purple, Alice Cooper and Monster Magnet are playing though (can't go everywhere).

There's also countless smaller festivals you can go to to see bands like Sodom and such and during the year the Biebob and Trix host many metal bands; so if you really want to, have a wide taste (and have the money) you can spend all summer / year going from the one gig to the next, lol.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Apollyon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm

BFenix wrote:Some pretty :666: days uh? Man, I wished there were festivals with that amount and variety of bands on this side of the world. We have one or two great events per year but that's it.

I already made a pact with a friend of mine. Next year, I'll already have my license so we're road trippin' to a big show. Either Wacken or BOA or Techfest if they do it again next year.

Well i guess of the big festivals the Hellfest in France is the nearest to you.
It has two major drawbacks though:
1. It's fucking expensive.
2. Even though _every_ band that is touring the european festival summer plays, there are way too many overlaps.
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Bragallot » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:59 am

Just saw Volbeat and Rammstein. Rammstein rolled up this huge penis cannon to shoot foam at their audience. Good times.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Ham701 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:40 am

Classic Rammstein.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

PreviousNext

Return to The Metal