rules video

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

rules video

Postby NIS3R » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Short version: it would be cool if we had a few videos showing the rules on YouTube.

Long version: my "battle of hoth" Lego board game came in the mail the other day and when I went to bread the rules (only 2 pages of them) I found that the Lego site has video rules that show some examples and such to help you understand. I found that really cool as kids and some people I know doze off when I'm reading game rules to them. As a total noob to the world of brikwars the 70ish page rule book is quite a read when you have no base to think oh ya I see how that would be used! As a result I have a feeling when I go to play its going to seem like I didn't even bother to read them. Also im lucky (if everything pans out) I will get to go play with experienced people but I can see how so say a small group of friends in a small town might have some trouble with it. So what I'm suggesting is a person our couple of people film a kind of scripted game where the die roles are just told to you (kind of like the rules have now) and post that bad boy on youtube.
Last edited by NIS3R on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TROLOLO
NIS3R
Champion

Re: rules video

Postby Colette » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

NIS3R wrote:Short version: it would be cool if we had a few videos showing the rules on YouTube.

Long version: my "battle of both" Lego board game came in the mail the other day and when I went to bread the rules (only 2 pages of them) I found that the Lego site has video rules that show some examples and such to help you understand. I found that really cool as kids and some people I know doze off when I'm reading game rules to them. As a total noob to the world of brikwars the 70ish page rule book is quite a read when you have no base to think oh ya I see how that would be used! As a result I have a feeling when I go to play its going to seem like I didn't even bother to read them. Also im lucky (if everything pans out) I will get to go play with experienced people but I can see how so say a small group of friends in a small town might have some trouble with it. So what I'm suggesting is a person our couple of people film a kind of scripted game where the die roles are just told to you (kind of like the rules have now) and post that bad boy on youtube.

We discussed this in the brikwars meta topic a while back. The best person to talk to for this would be ForlornCreature, master of lego stopmotion and videos. Although anyone can do what you just described.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby NIS3R » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 am

Sru I did a search but didn't find anything
TROLOLO
NIS3R
Champion

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm

He makes stuff like this. And This.

Like Colette said, we've talked about it and then promptly decided to do absolutely nothing about it. I think we all still think it's a really good idea, but I forget if Forlorn had anything to say about it.

I think the absolute best thing to do would be to simply describe the minifig chapter: have a video that explains that each fig gets 5" of move, 1d6 skill, 4 armor and an action on their turn, along with a brief description of what all those things mean. Don't even talk about weapons, but plug the 2005 rulebook and put a link to it in the description. This is usually about as much as I explain to newbies, and it's usually enough for them to pick up some dice and at least have some idea of what the hell they're doing.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I thought about it, and I feel like it would be a good way to introduce newcomers and show things like Indiana scones vs the alien biker,but I would need some people to make some graphics and sfx. I can do the stop motions with forlourn.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I wanna wait until he's on board or at least gives us some input before we plow ahead - he's pretty damn talented and I don't wanna waste that. Instead, I think we should all be taking orders from him and getting in line to suck his dick.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 am

IVhorseman wrote:I wanna wait until he's on board or at least gives us some input before we plow ahead - he's pretty damn talented and I don't wanna waste that. Instead, I think we should all be taking orders from him and getting in line to suck his dick.

Yeah, pretty much...

I mean, I want to take a crack at making Lego and other assorted building toy stopmotion videos, but I'd much rather have the guy who knew what he was doing working on this.
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Natalya » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 am

▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Return to The Rulebook