Old Lego / new Lego

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Old Lego / new Lego

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 pm

aoffan23 wrote:I feel the same way about the new Chima theme. I thought they were all just individual tribes duking it out for the CHI, but then I saw the centrefold in one of the instruction booklets. It shows the eagles and lions on ones page (the blue/"good" side), and the crocs, ravens, and wolves on the other (red/"evil" side). Maybe they did that just to help market it to the kiddies, but I was really happy they were shying away from the good vs. evil template. Either way, I'm just glad they're balancing the amount of sets they each get.
Wait, what? Lego razgrizzlies?
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Tzan wrote:That
What is this I don't even.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Swordsalmon
Nice TRIPS

Post by Swordsalmon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:I actually prefer the old smiley simple smiley heads over the newer more detailed faces.
I agree. I don't like the amount of "personality" in modern mifigure faces; it's a lot harder to utilize those faces than a generic smily face, at least for me.
Keldoclock wrote:Swordsalmon: Argues about the price of bits of plastic, yet happily forks over $1 for a quarter-sized bit of plastic that does nothing but look cool.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:35 pm

I like the one that are 'in between' when it comes to detail (Rock Raiders fe had some great faces), regular smileys are ok as well though and I hope they won't disappear completely. The only heads I dislike are the over-detailed ugly peach heads from Clone Wars, I'm not sure about the Lotr ones because I haven't paid close attention to them, but they looked alright to me at first glance.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Bragallot wrote:I like the one that are 'in between' when it comes to detail (Rock Raiders fe had some great faces), regular smileys are ok as well though and I hope they won't disappear completely. The only heads I dislike are the over-detailed ugly peach heads from Clone Wars, I'm not sure about the Lotr ones because I haven't paid close attention to them, but they looked alright to me at first glance.
I think the Tolken heads are alright.
Urah-kai might be stuck with "facepaint or not", but the others usually just settle for good old fasion dot eyes and line mouths with some detailing.
The facial crease lines are a bit off-putting, but I think they're only really used to imply age in the character in this line.

Nitewatchman
Dimmy

Post by Nitewatchman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Tzan wrote:I watched the first 2 episodes of Chima.
Its really bad. Of course maybe an 8 year old feels differently because they don't know any of the dialog cliches.

The Ninjago show wasn't too bad, I didn't feel I needed to watch them all.
I'll never watch another Chima.
Agreed. The voice acting was also terrible, and the setting is so just...weird and mismashed that it doesn't make any sense. I can't watch it because it is full of crazy animals that should be just eating each other.

....I feel like either Mike is a razgrizzly and this is his fault, or someone else in LEGO is a razgrizzly and has been scheming to make LEGO razgrizzlies for a long time.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Chima is a fucking huge missed opportunity so far. Good ideas, good concept, great scenes and themes BUT its put together in a slapdash and stupid manner. Also the main reason of conflict is stupid and fucking pointless. This shit could have been good, but it feels like somebody hacked the story apart and rearranged it in a totally random manner, and added unneeded parts to it.

Argh
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Well you had anthropomorphic animal barbarians racing around on mono-cycles...

As a toy theme that's pretty awesome, but I had a feeling something would go awry when they called the Macguffinite "Chi"...

Let me guess, the show is preachy and the plots two-dimensional?
Probably not helped by bastardized Eastern Philosophy ham-fistedly shoehorned into wooden Western Morality tales who's outcomes can be seen a mile away?

...If it is, I'm glad I've never even seen the show outside of promos...

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm

I wasn't even aware that the show had started..

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 am

Nitewatchman wrote:....I feel like either Mike is a razgrizzly and this is his fault, or someone else in LEGO is a razgrizzly and has been scheming to make LEGO razgrizzlies for a long time.
:commonsense:

Or Mike is trolling.

There's going to be a new castle theme in 2013 though, and more Lotr sets, so I'm not too worried. I'm most likely not going to buy them myself, actually looking forward to see what people are going to do with the new parts, particularly the eagles.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 am

Swordsalmon wrote:
*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:I actually prefer the old smiley simple smiley heads over the newer more detailed faces.
I agree. I don't like the amount of "personality" in modern mifigure faces; it's a lot harder to utilize those faces than a generic smily face, at least for me.
I love the generic smiley face. Stylistically, the different art styles used on faces over the past 20 years going from generic smile to very basic face art to slightly detailed face art to the modern expressive faces with complex eyes means that I end up trying to use a random assortment of faces for any squads I make. That way the inconsistencies between the art styles becomes unimportant as all the heads start to look different from each-other. For a recent example of this, check out my Space Canadians in The Armoury.

Oh, I almost forgot, Peaches must die.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 am

Natalya wrote:Oh, I almost forgot, Peaches must die.
I was just about to give you a "Carthago delenda est" forum rank, but the Latin word for peaches ("persica") is the same as for Persians and then it just seemed weird.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

The best thing about the old generic smiley faces might be that they're incredibly cheap on Bricklink.

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:40 pm

The wider variety of faces and facial expressions have their uses, but I prefer the older heads. The uniform smiles were a defining feature of minifigs. I miss the simplicity of 90's Lego often.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.