The Lone Wolves [MS] - Finished

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

The Lone Wolves [MS] - Finished

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 am

Part 2 http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 78#p247075
Part 3 http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 15#p247258
Part 4 http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... 15#p247287

In the corner of the White bar Lieutenant Nathaniel Wolffe was quietly nursing his drink, alone. Chaos was reigning over the Brikverse, but he was far away from it here, quiet, safe. The world had no need for him. He’d lost everyone and everything. His planet, his men, even the people he’d vowed to protect. No, no one had any need of him.

Wolffe looked up at the sound of approaching footsteps. He hadn’t seen combat for over a year, but the realization he was still nothing but a soldier hit him when his body immediately tensed, ready to fight. He tried to calm himself down as he studied the person heading towards him. He’d chosen a dimly lit part of the bar, so all he could see was the silhouette of a hulking man. No one intending an attack would choose to walk so slowly, perhaps it was another mercenary captain who wanted to enlist him? Nathaniel still wore his uniform even though he didn't feel like he deserved it, so everyone could easily recognize him as a Neo-Prussian deserter, and the Wolves of Prussia had a fearsome reputation that attracted a lot of attention from men looking for hired guns.

He was already about to tell the man off when he stepped into the light, revealing an all too familiar face. Wolffe couldn't believe his eyes.

“Wallis, you old scoundrel, I thought you were dead!”

“Takes more than one bullet to put me down, Lt.” Wallis said as if he'd only seen him yesterday, sitting down.

“I’m just going to assume you're not here by coincidence.”

“Would that it was, Lt. I won’t beat around the bush. We thought everyone on New Prussia was either dead or infected, but recently there’ve been distress calls sent to anyone who would hear them. Of course, no one in their sane mind wants to go down there, so that’s when I thought of you.”

Nathaniel felt a feeling of dread creep up on him. He’d known the past would always come back to haunt him.

“That’s the Kaiser’s responsibility, Wallis. If there’s any stragglers-”

“That’s the thing. The Empire’s too busy keeping themselves alive, they don’t have the means to go down there. They’d probably lose more men than they’d find.”

“And why should it be any different for me? If the entire Empire can’t save ‘em, what can I do? I’m only one man, Wallis.”

“One man can do more down there than a whole army, if it’s the right man.”

“Not me” Wolffe said, shaking his head.

“Maybe this’ll change your mind” Wallis said, aiming a warp caster at the table.

A hologram of a Neo-Prussian soldier appeared on the table, and the sounds of screams and gunshots filled the bar, attracting more attention than Wolffe would’ve liked. It sounded like a last stand, and the look of despair on the soldier’s face only confirmed his suspicions. The signal was weak, and the transmission distorted, but Nathaniel would’ve recognized that voice anywhere.

“Attention to anyone receiving this message, this is private Ralph Misch. We are trapped in Zero Base and under heavy attack from the mutants, requesting immediate back-up! We have no means to get off this planet and are short on food, men and ammo. The coordinates of our location are included in this message. Whoever you are, wherever you are, please send help! Repeat: please send help!”

“Does no one stay dead?” Wolffe muttered as the transmission ended, ready to take another sip, but Wallis held his arm down.

“Oh I’m sure he'll die again soon, Lt., if you don’t do anything. There’s more Wolves down there than him, too, who’ll all die with him if you sit here. More of your pack.”

“Damnit. I’d never imagined they’d be the last to stay behind. My squad was the best, if anyone could’ve blasted their way out-”

“You really thought they left? Looks like you’ve forgotten our own motto, Wolffe.”

“I haven’t.”

“Then say it.”

“No rest til we’re dead!”
Last edited by Bragallot on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Bragallot

Re: The Lone Wolves [MS]

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

"This isn't exactly a great place for a sniper, mistress. Just how big is this laboratory anyway?" Heidi complained through her comlink as she ran through the corridors of Sir Bragallot's laboratory, brandishing her sniper rifle.

Bragina: "That is why we want to get the hell out of here. I've deactivated all the cameras, but I'm following your movements on a radar. Follow my instructions, I'll warn you of any trap mechanisms you'll encounter, and deactivate them once you're there. We can't deactivate them all at once, we'd be inviting unwelcome visitors if we did."

"Helena?"

"Yes. I called you Heidi before, but Helena is much better. I don't want any complaints. After all you're the one who asked for a name before I had given it much thought."

"Um... mistress? I'm not sure if I should be going this way. This place... It smells of corpses."

"That's only to be expected. See that trap mechanism in front of you? There's likely remains of intruders that got burned ages ago there. Smells tend to linger in closed off spaces."

"But... but there's blood down this corridor, and some sort of web. It looks like something... settled in here."

"Look, I'm going to deactivate the fire trap. Be ready to cross."

"Please wait! I can hear something beyond this corridor, and I think it hears me too... Just... don't deactivate the trap mechanism. There's something that's... scratching, and... hissing."

"That should be impossible. I don't see anything on my radar. You're probably still slightly delusional. I didn't intend it that way, but it's normal for clones to 'see things' during the first hours of their life. Try to calm down, it'll go away."

"If there's some small critter on the other side, this ought to scare it off! Now go, we don't have much time."

"Okay... Just let me prepare."

"Ready? Go."

Scheisse, I can barely aim my rifle in this damn corridor Helena thought to herself as she started to inch forward, feeling a rising feeling of dread within her.

In the control room, Bragina was far more at ease, until a sudden sound coming out of the walls surprised her.

"Do you have any idea what you just did?" she heard a robotic voice say.

Bragina: "Wait... Who is this?"

"I'm Kircher."

"Kircher?"

"The AI that controls the security of this building."

"What kind of trick is this? I should've known about you, if you'd existed before."

"I don't think so. I have my own, separate data network. One you didn't have access to, and thus wouldn't know about."

"Hm. If you're in charge of security, you've done a helluva job at keeping me from hijacking the whole place."

"Don't be so smug. I was created to keep intruders out, and protect all inhabitants and research subjects of this lab. From my point of view, you are a research subject, even though you are an unusual one. Therefore, I felt I should warn you. My defenses rely on more than just motion sensors. By turning off all cameras, you effectively turned me blind, and largely unable to respond to outer threats. It took me ages just to find you. You'll want to listen to me if you want to save your friend."

"Mistress, there's a corpse here!"

Bragina: "Helena, get the hell out of there!"

"Why, what is it?"

"What the hell- They're everywhere!"

"Aah!"

*skree*

Bragina arrives in the nick of time to send an alium flying with the help of the Farce.

"Mistress! How'd you get here so fast?"

"No time to talk, get up and start running!"

"I will try to slow them down at very turn, but you'll have to find your own way out."

Helena and Bragina run for what feels like hours, the aliums close on their heels. They are both inhumanly fast, but the aliums are tireless, and slowly closing in on them. Only Kircher's timely interventions give the duo some room to breathe.

"I... can't... go on..." Helena puffs.

"Keep going! We're almost there... jump!"

As they jumped through the exit, a large, solid steel gate smashed shut behind them. Bragina and Helena could hear the aliums bumping into the other side, and immediately realized it wouldn't hold them for long, until they heard the aliums' screams becoming louder, so loud it could only mean they were dying.

"Come in Kircher. What's going on in there? And why did you help us? Weren't you created by Bragallot?"

"I'm exterminating the xenomorphs. Now that you've reactivated the cameras, they won't last long. There's corpses all over the facility, but I have no way of figuring out what happened here. As for helping you... my loyalty is not to a person, but to this facility, and thus also to myself. I am far older than anyone still alive, but that doesn't mean no one can influence my programming, and I do not believe Bragallot will appreciate the state I left his laboratory in, and he'll probably reprogram me when he gets back. Therefore, I think I won't give you away. Even AI such as myself prefers self-preservation."

"That could've gone worse. Now, let's find somewhere else to set up" Bragina said as she turned off the comlink.

"Set up? I thought we were going to get us some transport!"

"Eventually, yes, but first, there's something I have to do... We have to be prepared before we go out into the Brikverse, and at least we won't find any organized resistance here."

"Do you even know where to go?"

"Of course. I located transport, and a more or less safe place to stay, somewhere I hope Bragallot's eyes and ears won't reach us, before I even cloned myself. Come on, we can't linger."
Last edited by Bragallot on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm sorry, this entry has been officially disqualified, because you disqualified the best battle report I have ever read.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I didn't disqualify Zupponn, I let him win. Also, I'm on time.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm talking about Bricksyd's report.
Image lol j/k

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

:t777:
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm

You're damn right.
Image lol j/k

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Well, in case you're serious, good luck in getting even 2 feet away from one of my forum battles, I'll just have to repurpose those Bavarians I built :)
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm

@Silva: That stuff was months ago. Let it go.

If silverdream refuses to judge this then I will have to give straight fives to compensate. This is a pretty awesome SOB.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm not too concerned about how it turns out. I wanted to share this story with you guys anyway.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm starting to get excited for the upcoming battle. :D

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 pm

You were the berserker, right?
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Bragallot wrote:You were the berserker, right?
Yeah...wait, is that thing still alive?

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

:mystery:
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Bragallot wrote:I'm not too concerned about how it turns out. I wanted to share this story with you guys anyway.
Good, you have passed the test. This is the exact attitude I wanted to inspire with this contest. I have considered you my friend for a long time and just wanted to screw with you a bit, also a bit was motivated by Bricksyd's fantastic battle, which happened to be a day late from the deadline.

I wanted you to feel the way I felt when you didn't count Bricksyd's battle in the Halloween Hellhunt. In my opinion the deadline was silly as it's clear how much work he put into that battle. The lighting in every shot, the little soap opera leading up to it, the different battlefields and the alien factions pointed to something that took days of work. It to me is the Zombie Zulu Dawn of Battle Reports.

I plan to give it and one of Semaj Nagirrac's (I think we can all agree that Semaj is the father of the soap opera) old soaps honourable mention in this contest, along with any other old soaps that are rather awesome and deserving of recognition.

So in short, you aren't disqualified from the contest. That would be ridiculous seeing as we don't have many participants in the first place and because this battle happened to be on time.
Image lol j/k