Stop Motion

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:59 pm

Hey, I want 5 free animation programs! What are the good ones nowadays?

Leonardo812
Nice Dubs

Post by Leonardo812 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 am

Here you go.

Anasazi Stop Motion Animator - A lot of brickfilmers use this.
Animator DV Simple + - I used to use this. Very nice program.
If you're using a Cannon Powershot, then CSMC is for you.
Monkeyjam is also a popular program. Unfortunately, their site has been having problems lately.
Motionmage has a free version up for download. Or you can purchase the upgraded version. I believe that this program is also Mac compatible.
Virtualdub and Videomach are both good for assembling your images to an AVI without a capture program. I use Virtualdub and would recommend it if you can't use a capture program. (I believe that Videomach is for non-commercial use only.) Also, both are quite good at video effects.
Framethief is a Mac program for animation. I know some people who use it.

Red Clay
Champion
Champion

Post by Red Clay » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey guys just hought i would tell you i'll be posting anew stop motion(much better then the last two) today at http://www.freewebs.com/red-clay-studios/ It'sw much better and has full sound so check it out.

P.S thanks for the advice Leonardo812 :)

Leonardo812
Nice Dubs

Post by Leonardo812 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I just watched your next one - when skeletons attack.

You certainly improved on a lot of things. The framerate was higher, and the animation was smoother. Try to get your framerate all the way to 15 fps - that's standard for Lego animation.

There were still some shots where we could see your room - try to work on that, maybe by filming indoor scenes. I would recommend not using white paper in the background - it looks almost as fake as your room. Print out a picture of the sky to use. Also, scoot your camera closer towards your minifigs for some close-ups. Then you can still shoot with only a single sheet of paper as your background.

I'm not a big fan of clay blood, that's just my preference. Do whatever you want.

Congrats. You're improving rapidly. Good job. You look like you're getting the hang of animating.

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I just watched Revenge of the Swordman, It was very nice.
You know if you need free sound effects try here: http://www.stonewashed.net/sfx.html
I will now watch the other one.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Leonardo812
Nice Dubs

Post by Leonardo812 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Even better, try Findsounds.com. It lets you search the web for sound effects. Very useful.

Oh, and the site Moronstudios linked to is very nice. Definitely check it out. It has good stuff.

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm

All three of your animations are great, i have subscribed to your videos.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Red Clay
Champion
Champion

Post by Red Clay » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:04 pm

LOL thanks guys it helps I'll try to put a new one together soon but I could use some suggestions. Got any ideas :?:

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Try http://www.flashkit.com for lot's of sounds. Also, Leonardo812, how could you not like the red clay blood? It's great, and they use it so effectively.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:49 pm

i also agree that the clay blood is done very well, although it's not my personal style. i'd end up using briks.

on to suggestions, the biggest thing i can say is that you should get as close to the minifigs as possible. You know that short series of frames between where your camera zoomed up and when it rotated? for that short period of time between that, you had your best framing. by framing, i mean your subjects, terrain etc. filled the frame without being too incredibly big. shots taken from a mile away are boring: it's the close-ups that get your attention.

Leonardo812
Nice Dubs

Post by Leonardo812 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Bonn-o-Tron wrote:Try http://www.flashkit.com for lot's of sounds. Also, Leonardo812, how could you not like the red clay blood? It's great, and they use it so effectively.
Well, the amount that spills out is greater than the volume of the minifig's body, which looks totally unrealistic. Also, it looks quite thick. Like, well, clay. If I add blood, I do it digitally. It looks more realistic. (And I'm into realism)

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Dude, these are a bunch of plastic miniatures killing each other. And how would you get a realistic type of blood without resorting to the computer? I would hate to have to go through each frame to add blood myself.

EDIT: Especially on rotating shots.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, Minifigs duking it out is supposed as horribly violent as humanly possible, and I doubt that the last thing he was aiming for was acute realism.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Actually, we were trying to incorporate as much of our nae as possible. And who said anything about minifigs having blood content in proportion to their body? Also, Dim-Jaw slaughtering is even more pleasant. Blood doesn't spray out: It tsunamis out. We'll actually make a video of a Dim-Jaw getting killed.
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 pm

King of Brix wrote:Actually, we were trying to incorporate as much of our nae as possible. And who said anything about minifigs having blood content in proportion to their body? Also, Dim-Jaw slaughtering is even more pleasant. Blood doesn't spray out: It tsunamis out. We'll actually make a video of a Dim-Jaw getting killed.
That, my good sir, is a BRILLIANT idea!