Pwny stats?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Pwny stats?

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I completely disagree. I think that Samuel is better at Brikwars than us because he is obviously having more fun, and since we're constrained by the rules, we refuse to throw in boneriffic made up OP broken shit of our own. Thus, when we fight his minifigs who have boneriffic 3d6 weapons, our minifigs all die because they only have 4 armor. Our deathtanks will crumble because "fuck it, i guess i'll throw all these supernatural d6s into damage or something." Sam may not be playing Brikwars right, but he's totally better at Brikwars than we are.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Let me teach you a game. It's called "I win"...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Can I play?

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Before I say anything else, I want to say that if a group of friends is having a good time playing with their toys, I couldn't be happier. Do your thing.

But having seen this same thing in a number of gaming communities over the years, let me assure you- they aren't playing BrikWars from the rulebook. They're in a midway stage between free imaginative play ("Pew pew! I shot you!" "Nuh uh, you missed!") and the more structured mayhem that your... more fully... umm...

I'm trying really hard not to use any language that can be construed as pejorative, because again, no judgement, but the correct term is mature. They're just starting to grasp that freeform imaginative play is less satisfying in some way than it used to be, and they see others having more structured fun that looks a lot like the fun they used to have. They know they want in on that but just kind of skim the rulebooks, adopt what seems fun, and make up a bunch of other shit.

And again, I don't think that's wrong or bad. I still hate slogging through a rulebook for the first time. It's my single biggest impediment to getting into ANY game.

The group will fracture as some morph completely into gamers, whereas others don't have the temperament or interest and move on to other hobbies.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I would like to clarify, if I ever played with other brikwarriors outside of my inner circle I would use the proper rules. I feel like if everyone has broken weapons, it's ok.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

lorbaat wrote: But having seen this same thing in a number of gaming communities over the years, let me assure you- they aren't playing BrikWars from the rulebook. They're in a midway stage between free imaginative play ("Pew pew! I shot you!" "Nuh uh, you missed!") and the more structured mayhem that your... more fully... umm...
I remember when an RPG group of mine went through this process trying to learn West End Games rules for D6 Star Wars. Non of us REALLY read the rulebook, so we started making up our own sorts of advancement, how we thought it was supposed to work. Only when my Jedi character started become more effective by reverting his stats did we realize that to keep playing one of us really needed to fully understand the rules. But for a good 8 sessions, it was a pretty awesome game of F*ck All!
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote: for a good 8 sessions, it was a pretty awesome game of F*ck All!
Oh hell yeah, it can be a really heady time. My early D&D days were filled with talking about the elaborate quests our characters were supposed to have already done in order to justify the artifacts we gifted unto them (many involved defeating the Terrasque). I played the Marvel Super Heroes RPG with a "team" I justified being together by... umm... thinking they were all really cool. Nick Fury led Wolverine, Dr Strange, and the Silver Surfer.

Actually, 25ish years of continuity later, I suppose that team isn't that farfetched anymore. Yet another example of why this kind of thing can be fucking amazing.