Hand to Hand Combat Variants

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Hand to Hand Combat Variants

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am

BrikWars 2010 wrote:Minifigs lack the ability to clench their clawlike hands into fists, and the limited range of minifig leg motion means that the groins of their enemies will never be exposed to their nonexistent knees. As a result, unarmed combat between minifigs is an almost complete waste of time. The only really worthwhile use for Bare Hands is in grabbing someone else's dropped weapon.

Bare Hands cannot be used to Attack or Parry. If a minifig has one hand free, he can use it to Grab his opponent, for the sake of hitting him with the weapon in his other hand. If both hands are empty, then he can use both of them to Shove his opponent 2" away, in an attempt to get away from the real warriors who remembered to come armed (5.2: Close Combat).
I like the joke, of course, and I try to remain true to the spirit of it when describing physical things in the BrikVerse, whether in fiction, on the Wiki, or to friends. Just the other day I made a joke about minifig physicality to Silver when I told him that his women were just as thick as his men. But, cute as the joke is, my brain has always balked at it. There are plenty of real world fighting styles were a clawed hand can do a shitload of damage. Granted, not many (if any) martial arts are particularly suited to War but not all BrikWars battles have to be undertaken on such a scale or theme. I can also imagine two fisted heroes going back a long way in the LEGO themes but there are several, more recent, reasons why its become more difficult for me to not consider the idea.

First, there are the Traveler's Tales Lego games. Hard to watch Batman or Indiana Jones in action and not see how clawlike fists can be clenched to do some ridiculous damage.

Following that are the Marvel and DC lineups. Superheroes are always bashing one another in the faces.

Completing that minifig concept, there is the Collectible Minifigure Series. Boxer, Martial Artist, Sumo Wrestler. I think there's a Luchador. And so on.

Then, we have stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnWd0hHE-E
And, even though his more modern stuff is way better, I'm pretty much sold on the idea.

My thoughts turn to Star Wars and Trek regular and expanded universes. Star Wars had all kinds of kickass species specific martial arts styles, suited to the particular physiologies of the alien races, like the Wookie martial art form. Trek had things like the efficient, faction specific Starfleet Martial Art. Anyway, I can see minifigs adopting a fighting style (or styles) that would suit their blocky form and clawed hands.

For those interested, what are some thoughts on how to proceed?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Hand to Hand Combat Variants

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 am

Treat them as Hand weapons.

GET IT?!?!?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

I just strapped on my lollerskates and lollered over to my roflcopter for a quick trip over to lollapalooza.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am

But i'm also being totally serious. Treat them as Hand Weapons, UR:2 and 1d6 damage. Done.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

I think this kinda thing would be more appropriate for Heroes - you can go all wire-fu and stuff with them.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am

And of course, supernatural kung-fu dice.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Of course, you don't have to be a hero to use sn dice. Both are good ideas. But both also cost CP.

So let's say I want to do dojo versus dojo.

Hand weapons are a good idea. This was my initial thought.

I wanted to expand the options some for fights that feature MA predominantly. I thought about using Skill Vs. Armor. Same as a hand weapon for basic minifigs. Then maybe including half hand weapons (gauntlet, boxing glove, brass knuckles) as bastard weapons so multiples could gang up on an armored foe (karate style). But I'm not sure that scales well. Only two CP to get to the point where average damage wastes a minifig every time. Which is a little less than SN Dice.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Granted, not many (if any) martial arts are particularly suited to War
I find this hilarious as 'martial art' basically means war like arts. But you are right though most MA aren't suitable for war but there are some MA that where originally specifically designed for the battlefield.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm

It is a funny little thing, yeah.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Technically, regular minifigs can attempt to punch, with a use rating of 1 and a damage of zero. If the minifig rolls a critical however, they're totally allowed to use that bonus d6 for damage.

Giving each fighter just one or two SN dice (and maybe giving sensei one more) in a dojo seems like it should work out well. The effects may only be extra dice toward damage and armor, but the stories you make up to describe the kung fu should fit just fine.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 am

Actually, now that I take a second look at it, I see that you're right. SN Dice don't cost that much more (what, 1CP) than a regular hand weapon and represent a much greater array of versatility. The sys has its own built in scale, as well. And they're more interesting thanks to the fumble/sabotage stuff. SuperNatural rules may just be the best damn thing Mike has come up with.

I was already using them for mundane stuff with my Spy battle report anyway.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 am

FOOLS!

There is only one Martial Art awesome enough for Brikwars... JUDO!

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's obvious that lego men have a hard time forming their hands into a fist but the anatomy of their hand is ideal for grappling.
So IMO grappling martial arts fit minifigs better then striking martial arts.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Anyway, I can see minifigs adopting a fighting style (or styles) that would suit their blocky form and clawed hands.