Time Travel

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Captain Nomouth
Officer

Time Travel

Post by Captain Nomouth » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm

If I had certain "police public call box" which could travel through time, could I have that "box" suddenly appear anywhere on the battlefield from the future? Could I send that "box" back in time with my bomb sqaud in order to disarm a bomb which just exploded?
Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I think it could only move through time and not space so you would need to put the time booth exactly where you wanted to be in the future.

mostly because otherwise it is realy realy unfair

Commander Evil
Hero

Post by Commander Evil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 pm

I have only one thing to say to this.

Also, what about sending them forward in time, and having them reappear as reserves later in the game?

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Sending to the future sounds great, however sending them back needs to complicated rules, plus the unit sent back in time needs to survive till WHEN it is is sent back.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Muskotti
Battlefield General

Post by Muskotti » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Sending people to future is quite simple and sounds possible. But the enemy troops might get some advantages on the field while they are traveling. Gives the enemy also time to prepare his troops for their arrival (a mine field arround the arrival zone)

Traveling backwards in time seems to me impossible and would give the more victorious fellow too much advantage - the same trooper fighting along himself...
And the trooper that you would want to send back in time should also survive in his attempt.

If traveling back in time could be possible, there could be two of the same guy on the field. If the traveled trooper dies, it might awake original-him to realize the dangers of timetraveling. The continuity would snap.
If the original-him dies before he enters in to the vortex of traveling and bla bla bla, the continuity would be really badly messed up.

Just if we could respect the timeline and just keep fudging laws of physics.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 pm

i remember that i had a variant for the deathgun in brikwars. it was a weapon that did 1d20 damage, and i ruled that on a 20, the target takes no damage, and is flung 1d6 turns into the future. by 1d6 turns, i mean that every turn you roll a d6, and once a 6 is rolled, he comes back. that way it kept players guessing.

travel to the past though? i mean i suppose in some brik battles it would be feasable, but you'd have to have the minifig show up before time traveling, blahbity blah blah. don't do it around anoraks.

this DOES remind me though of my newest dating ploy: i got myself a glow-in-the-dark badge, go up to women, and say "quick! i am from the future! it is of vital importance that we make love right now or the robots will rule the world!"

__Nero__
Nice
Location: In a dank dark cave plotting ways to kill peach colored figs and dimmies

Post by __Nero__ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Haha! thats a good one!
THIS! IS! BRIKWARS!

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 pm

IVhorseman wrote:i remember that i had a variant for the deathgun in brikwars. it was a weapon that did 1d20 damage, and i ruled that on a 20, the target takes no damage, and is flung 1d6 turns into the future. by 1d6 turns, i mean that every turn you roll a d6, and once a 6 is rolled, he comes back. that way it kept players guessing.

travel to the past though? i mean i suppose in some brik battles it would be feasable, but you'd have to have the minifig show up before time traveling, blahbity blah blah. don't do it around anoraks.

this DOES remind me though of my newest dating ploy: i got myself a glow-in-the-dark badge, go up to women, and say "quick! i am from the future! it is of vital importance that we make love right now or the robots will rule the world!"
Good idea. But, this brings to mind something I've been kicking around. Suppose I had, say, an Alpha or Beta suit (Alpha is better because there aren't any safeguards to keep you from changing history, and there isn't a little kid AI in it that makes you feel like a pedophile), and can slow time, freeze time, and reverse small amounts of time (TimeShift rules) How would you handle that? Freezing time and slowing time I'm not sure about yet, but reversing time would allow you to undo a certain number of events (that nuke that just went off? Yeah, some dude went back in time and diffused it just before it went off)
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Commander Evil, you missed the reference. While back to the future could wok, he was referring to Doctor Who. I so want a Doctor Who minifig! That'd be tight!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Olothontor wrote:Commander Evil, you missed the reference. While back to the future could wok, he was referring to Doctor Who. I so want a Doctor Who minifig! That'd be tight!
Ah, but which Doctor Who? The original or the new guy? I must know this before I spend the next week trying to find a head that works.
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:22 pm

mm, I like David Tennant, but that's me... really that's up to you which head to use.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Ok, so something that gets sent back through time would actually just appear in a parallel universe in which time travel has always been and always will be possible. Just think about it, if people will ever have the ability to travel back in time in our universe, then that means that there have always been people from the future coming and going as they please. This is why the Nazis still haven't won WW2. If a unit chooses to enter a time machine, then they can only reappear in other battles.

Now that I think about it, if you just declare that time travel is an element of your current game, then there is nothing stopping you from having any minifig, weapon, or vehicle suddenly appear at any moment and for no other reason than that there is a slim chance it will at some point be sent back in time. This of course will lead to pirate ships, star cruisers, and irradiated zombies suddenly appearing out of nowhere at random points in the game. I can already smell the Ker-Random tables which will be in existence at some point in the future.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Commander Evil
Hero

Post by Commander Evil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 am

OOP!

picklesniffer
Champion
Champion

Post by picklesniffer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I say you have to steal some plutonium from some libyan terrorists in order to power the box, or else it doesn't work.
Destruction is bliss.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Now that would all depend on whether you can build a Flux Capacitor out of LEGOs...
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...