TIME TRAVEL

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: TIME TRAVEL

Post by aoffan23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:41 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:I have one small question.

How does this have any sort of purpose in-game?
Do you mean time travelling to another battle? Because that's just a plot point, and using five thousand dice to get them to the battle rather than just sending them there is... really dumb.
Do you mean travelling to another battle that's happening simultaneously IRL? That's a little more understandable, but why do you need 72 results?
Do you mean travelling to another turn in the same battle? There's no point in doing that, because you'd might as well just leave the unit inactive for however long.

I'm not just making a point, I'm seriously asking what kind of effect this is supposed to have on the game. The way you're talking about it makes it seem completely useless and... well, I'm terrible idea.
The idea of a time machine is to be a random ball of monstrosities. anything that can will go wrong with a few exceptions, and the 72 is to make it as random and unpredictable as possible. there are some 12 option time travel supplements, but this is supposed to take out any hints of certainty, and make all who hath faith un-easy.
Yeah, I got that from reading every word of this thread. What I didn't get, and what you still haven't answered, where/when they're travelling to. Arkbrik's explanation makes sense, but I still have no idea how you intended it to be.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:29 am

it all takes place on the same map.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:34 am

aoffan23 wrote:Yeah, I got that from reading every word of this thread. What I didn't get, and what you still haven't answered, where/when they're travelling to. Arkbrik's explanation makes sense, but I still have no idea how you intended it to be.
Where you go depends on what you're using to travel in. If you have the TARDIS, it's up to you. If you have the DeLorean, you'll probably be in the same spot but in a different time. When you go is your decision. It wouldn't be a very good time machine if it just decided for you. As for how you would use it, does it really matter? I mean, this is a scenario where you have the ability to travel through time. If you didn't take that oppurtunity, you wouldn't deserve to call yourself a BrikWarrior.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 am

sjosten wrote:the ability to travel through time
This still means absolutely nothing, gameplay-wise.

How can you expect to come up with a mechanic that you can't even explain? Arkbrik is the only one who's explained this with any clarity. Everything else is just as vague as the OP. "On the same map" doesn't clarify what you mean by time travel. Do they come back the same turn like Arkbrik said? Do they appear at another turn?

I've been reading the lists, and that's still not helping. For example:
21: Go back in time and get immediately stepped on by a dinosaur that says "I am a Stegosaurus." Does not matter if dinosaur is actually a stegosaurus.
What the fuck does that mean? This doesn't check out with the "on the same map" idea. Do they die? Does the stegosaurus appear on the battlefield?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but most of the things being said in this thread are extremely vague.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:13 am

43. The machine makes a lot of noise and lots of lights blink and cool particle effects happen, after 10 seconds a small slip of paper is ejected with the current time and date printed on it.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:31 am

aoffan23 wrote: but most of the things being said in this thread are extremely vague.
You are correct, the OP made no sense, the results make no sense.
Most people are not game designers and this is what happens when you ask random people for game design ideas.
They just say some random shit and think they are halping.

Since there was no real game mechanic in the OP, it would need to be on the dice roll descriptions and people don't know how to do that.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 am

The only way I can see this working is as an off-the-page mechanic rolled for at the start of the game with a few very limited random options. A unit or a squad has a time machine and they use it to gain unfair advantage in the battle. Maybe make it a "use 5" item?

1. Critical Fail - the time machine flings the users so far forward in time that they get to witness the death of the universe as they die horribly.
2. Nothing happens.
3. It tells the current time, and that is it.
4. It sends the users back in time 1d6 turns before the battle starts and in the heart of the enemy's camp. They have to play those turns in a scenario whereby they have to escape and get back to their side while causing extreme mayhem. If they do not manage it but are still alive at the end of the last turn, the players then set up as normal and continue the battle as planned, with that unit / squad still stuck in enemy territory.
5+. They succeed in transporting their unit to a particular point in time and to a particular location. If backwards in time, then they may set up ANYWHERE on the board in hiding before the game starts. If forwards in time, then they appear at a chosen location at the start of predetermined turn (written in secret by the controlling player but has to be revealed when triggered).
Critical Success. The unit also gets an Almighty Benny for doing so well. Or something else that's cool.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:58 pm

This is meant to be for an actual game? I thought we were just doing silly d100 lists like those for the Rod of Wonder etc
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:31 am

Keldoclock wrote:This is meant to be for an actual game? I thought we were just doing silly d100 lists like those for the Rod of Wonder etc
What he said. I mean, yeah you could use it in a game, but this is more silliness for silliness sake. However, I still maintain that if time travel it available, you absolutely need to use it.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 am

I should clarify. I guess you would just role a d6 to tell when you re-appear, (if you do) and you reappear on the same map, not some alternate dimension. a lot of the shit silva posted makes no sense, and a few other things like the stegosaurus thing obviously can't be used either. I hope that clears things up.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 am

Nope. It doesn't.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 am

You need to provide and example.
So from beginning to end, how each step happens.

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 am

Tzan wrote:You need to provide and example.
So from beginning to end, how each step happens.
Ok, here goes.
A random shock trooper finds a delorian, and is being chased by several savages. Unable to fend them off, he hops in and goes at 15" for 2 turns and he is suddenly whisked away. He rolls "Time travelers get older selves to fight along side them". then you roll a 1d6,(to determine how long it takes) and you re-appear in that location with a future self in the car with you. I hope that serves as a good example.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 am

So it's only forward time travel then?
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

Not necessarily. When you end up is determined by what you roll.