The Greater Anschluss of Image, GIF, and Youtube Republics

All mods enter, no mods leave.
Attn: Mods and Admins
- Move topics that were locked for being shit to Thunderdumb
- Thunderdumb shall serve as the trash pit for the forum
Also: Trololo

Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Butthurt, Killer Karetsu, Zupponn, Moronstudios, Tuefish, IVhorseman, Pwnerade, warman45, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Dr. X, ikensall, Arkbrik, Timedude, Tzan, Maverick, Warhead, Zahru II, Natalya, BFenix, Colette, Apollyon, piltogg, Thesson, BrickSyd, Silverdream, Keldoclock, Ross_Varn, Elmagnifico, Magic Soap, OneEye589, 501stCadians

Re: YOUTUBE MEGATHREAD PART DEUX

Postby Vami IV » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Spoiler: show
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Re: The randomly post stupid images thread!

Postby Zupponn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 am

Hey, look! It's Silva!
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Pwnerade » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:23 am

Zahru II wrote:were not for the HBO show,
nobody would give 2 shits about the books except nerds.
It's as simple as that.

tl;dr - I personally don't like the books and think the hype is only there because
everybody is jumping on the bandwagon just like in the case of my small horse.

The show certainly did
make it popular.
In my case, I saw the show, and thought,
"I like this show. The book is always better than the screen adaptation, so I'd better check this out."
And I find the trolling of bronises amusing.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby Bragallot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 am

Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:03 am

Zupponn wrote:Hey, look! It's Silva!

Dang...
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Bragallot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Zahru II wrote:Nah, I seriously don't enjoy GoT, and I've tried. Martin's work is so
gritty and edgy and THE MIDDLE AGES WERE TUFF TIMES YO that you would think they were written in the nineties by a 16-year-old.
Also his shtick of
'THIS IS A BLACK AND GREY MORALITY WORLD WHERE EVERYONE CAN DIE BECAUSE REALISM'
gets old hat real fast; you cannot relate to anyone because
that's the flag for dude is gonna die lol.
ALSO were not for the HBO show,
nobody would give 2 shits about the books except nerds.
It's as simple as that.

tl;dr - I personally don't like the books and think the hype is only there because
everybody is jumping on the bandwagon just like in the case of my small horse.

That's total BS dude. Martin actually did a lot of historical research a 16-year old wouldn't have had the time for, that's where the gritty realismcomes from. That
anyone can die
is actually a nice change from
the never-ending, endless 'good guys beating bad guys following a certain exhausted scheme' stories
and probably part of the reason for the success of ASOIAF / GOT - yeah it can be tough
losing your favourite character,
but that makes the books exciting, and you'll sometimes find yourself rooting for someone you consider to be among the bad guys too, depending on the situation, so there's always something to look out for. The books are the reason for the show's success, not the other way around. You can tell by how viewers like the same elements of the show that the readers like from the book. Martin had millions of readers before the show, if 'no one had cared about the books', they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making the show.

You compared ASOIAF to MLP, how dare you! :evil: :wink:

For once, there's this thing that
doesn't follow mainstream rules and conventions and still manages to have a lot of success,
and you scold it :???:

I'm a fan from long before the show even started, btw. I can understand if anyone doesn't like it (there's various reasons I could understand, like it being too huge to keep track of or understand what's going on) but the reasons you gave for not liking it are simply invalid.
Last edited by Bragallot on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Zahru II » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 pm

That's total BS dude.

Nah,
it's my opinion.

Martin actually did a lot of historical research a 16-year old wouldn't have had the time for, that's where
the gritty realism comes from.

Believe it or not, I get that he's not pulling this out of his arse like the average adolescent self-claimed writer on fanfiction.org. I also know that Medieval times were tough and sucked for everyone lower than nobility; you were either
born into the right place
or you were
fucked from the get go.
Also succession and the intrigue and power play to manipulate that was inevitable due to the feudal system. I guess GRRM is
basing his ideas on this.
HOWEVER, because of basing his characters on the 'realistic' source material, that being dickish people screwing with each other (both literally and figuratively), all he does is
delivering a ton of dicks to the scene.
NOW, this would not be an issue for me if I weren't
surrounded by a lot of dicks IRL as well.
I get that some people like this, but I cannot really like anyone from the bunch because everyone is
a selfish misguided dick.

That anyone can die
is actually a nice change from the
never-ending, endless 'good guys beating bad guys following a certain exhausted scheme' stories
and probably part of the reason for
the success of ASOIAF / GOT - yeah it can be tough losing your favourite character, but that makes the books exciting, and you'll sometimes find yourself rooting for someone you consider to be among the bad guys too

That doesn't lessen the fact that he's a one trick penis
when it comes to plot and character development. ZING! - he/she/it dead, joke's on you.
While this may be exciting for some (which is perfectly fine of course),
it gets kind of aggravating and rubs me the wrong way.
First, I've established that
more or less everyone is a dick (there goes the good guy/bad guy bias, since you might as well call them dick A and dick B).
Now if we add the fact that
anybody can die at any time (which I guess is 'realistic'), then the question arises: why root for anyone in the first place?
I mean it might work the other way round better - that you despise a certain dick so much that you actually anticipate that
he/she/it will die and then revel in masturbatory glee, which again, might be cool for some, but doesn't do it for me.

Now if you're still with me then
have my virtual pat on the back for vigilantly reading.

I have highlighted the world 'realistic' with italics, because I believe that is the root of my problems with AGOT: it wants to
be a historical novel but doesn't have the consistency/balls/whatever to go in full force and embrace the genre.
Sure, we have some token fantasy elements like
babby dragons, white walkers and BLOOD MAGIK,
but I felt them to be more of token inclusions, which are outweighed by
'realistic' things.
Now my problem with realism is that for me,
fantasy is a gateway to escapism, not necessarily high philosophical stuff but simple archetypical heroic things: quest narratives and whatnot.
Is that simple storytelling?
You bet your ass it is
! Is it realistic?
Fuck no it isn't, it's dumb and predictable more often than not!
Do I find it entertaining?
Yes.
I like it because it allows me to break away from the everyday dread of being surrounded by idiotic human beings who are unreliable, incompetent, selfish, arrogant, backstabbing, opportunistic, vain and so on and so forth. I wonder if there's a good group name for all of these people... oh yeah there is:

Dicks.

TL;DR - I have enough dicks in my life, I don't want any more in my leisure time, hence AGOT couldn't capture my attention. It might be double rainbow awesome crazy weed-smoking t-rex cool in the later books, but I cannot be bothered to plow through. This may or may not mean that I am narrow-minded and I have low standards, whatevs.

For once, there's this thing that doesn't follow mainstream rules and conventions and still manages to have a lot of success, and you scold it

I don't scold it; I just don't like it, hence the read above. I may have not expressed myself properly before, but hey, it's thunderdumb what to expect? Don't fanboy aggro on people for not sharing your views. Also try not to consider this as a personal call out,
even though I know you have a knack for doing that.

I can understand if anyone doesn't like it (there's various reasons I could understand, like
it being too huge to keep track of or understand what's going on)
but the reasons you gave for not liking it are simply invalid.

It's an opinion cocks, it cannot be valid or invalid.

Note - the frequency of the word 'dicks' is deliberate.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Silverdream » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 pm

My Little Pwny isn't better or worse than GoT, they're two very different shows with very different appeal.

What GoT is better at:
-More Sex
-More violence
-An overarching story that keeps one guessing

What MLP is better at:
-It's happy
-Better Fandom
-Better music
-Better Action

MLP is something I watch to unwind or to cheer myself up, whereas Game of Thrones I watch because of the story.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Vami IV » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 pm

For the first time, I call agreement with Silva.
Cheers, Silva.
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Bragallot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Opinions can be invalid,
when you're claiming they're facts by for instance saying 'no one would care about these books if it weren't for the show' - that's simply incorrect, as I pointed out. Opinions can also be BS. It's possible to have an opinion that is BS (cfr Scientology). Too often do people mistake 'right to an opinion' to 'right to the opinion that I'm always right because it's my opinion.' If that were true, it would erase all need for discussion, and thus progress. 'Coincidentally', this argument is often made by people who can't hold their own in a discussion.

Why root for anyone in the first place... because you're given the choice, you're not told who to like or dislike, and there's many reasons you could like or dislike character a or b. I have an easier time rooting for someone I can relate to and whose motivations I can understand (STANNIS!) than some 'Omg He's The Sooper Amazing Chosen One Who Is Destined To Kick Everyone's Ass And There's No Way Anyone Can Stop Him bladieblah' (read: Eragon). Hardly everyone dies, so 'one trick poni' doesn't really apply either. I could understand if this is a personal opinion of yours, but since you're aiming it directly at George by basically calling him a bad writer on several occasions, it sounds more like you're trying to say why anyone else shouldn't like ASOIAF.

That said, I like many forms of Fantasy, including (some) simpler stories. For me there has to be some kind of catch though, something that keeps me interested.

Sure, we have some token fantasy elements like babby dragons, white walkers and BLOOD MAGIK, but I felt them to be more of token inclusions, which are outweighed by 'realistic' things

It's called Low Fantasy and it's a genre. Heck, in all the novels I've read (quite a few by this point) there's not one series that actually goes balls to the wall with their magic. In almost every novel, even in High Fantasy, the magic always 'used to be' much larger and grander in the past then it does at the time the story begins, like the writers are too lazy to write about it or something. In ASOIAF however, magic gradually becomes more important through the story, because with the awakening of the dragons, magic came back into the world. The seasons themselves seem to be influenced by magic, so there may be more going on than you know right now.

Saying things like 'overrated crap', 'no one would care about it but nerds', 'written by a 16 year old' is definitely scolding, dude.

Don't fanboy aggro on people for not sharing your views. Also try not to consider this as a personal call out, even though I know you have a knack for doing that.

This is funny, because the second part is definitely a personal call out. As for 'fanboy aggro', I think I was pretty civil in my pointing out of the inconsistencies of what you were saying. Opinions I can handle, invented facts and blatant lies / insults, not so much. I'm not even upset or anything, but when I see something that's simply not true, I have to act.

I have no problem with your reasons for not liking ASOIAF, at least, those from the second post, but then those weren't what I was replying to. Based on the points you made though it seems rather than saying it's 'overrated crap' and that 'people are simply jumping the bandwagon' (thus saying they shouldn't have a reason for liking it), you should be saying it just isn't for you because of personal problems you have, because that's basically what you're already saying.
Last edited by Bragallot on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Zupponn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Guys, you keep forgetting post images, so go wave your GoaT and MOP dicks somewhere else.

EDIT:
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Bragallot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Infidel, I've posted more stupid images here than you ever could. And if I were to wave my dick here, you'd be dead.

Good trolling attempt Silva, not falling for it.
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot

Postby Silverdream » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Bragallot wrote:Good trolling attempt Silva, not falling for it.

You're right. It's totally fair to compare vastly different things from different mediums made for different audiences to each other.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby Tzan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Whenever someone buys an apple the commodity price of oranges drops.
Don't fool yourself, THEY'RE CONNECTED PEOPLE!
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby Apollyon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:36 am

I have read all the ASOIAF books and also saw some episodes from the show.
The books are an ok read but not much more than that. I certainly won't read them again. From what i saw the story works better as a tv show i think.
Now for some random comments:

Zahru II wrote:ZING! - he/she/it dead, joke's on you.

You wish! It's pretty annoying that half of the ppl that die return as Zombies. I was especially pissed off when that happened to the Stark mother since i did not like that character at all.

Zahru II wrote:you despise a certain dick so much that you actually anticipate that he/she/it will die and then revel in masturbatory glee

Sigh... if only. Geoffrey dies in a lame way while Theon gets a rather cruel treatment but does not die. Come on GRRM! Couldnt you have thought of something better for goold ol' Geoff?

Bragallot wrote:'Omg He's The Sooper Amazing Chosen One Who Is Destined To Kick Everyone's Ass And There's No Way Anyone Can Stop Him bladieblah'

May i point you towards theTargaryen princeling that popped out of nowhere?

Bragallot wrote:calling him a bad writer

He is. His characters are shallow and _all_ of the female characters are horrible. Arya does not count because she is portrayed as a boy. The only really believeable character is the Onion Knight but he does not get enough screentime.
Also, GRRM has by now almost hopelessly entangled himself in the various plot strands and his multitude of characters. Will be hard to untie this knot in the two books remaining/his lifetime.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
constantly striving to using proper grammar

PreviousNext

Return to Thunderdumb