Suggestions?

Since the dawn of time, one genre of music has dominated and ruled with an iron fist

Moderators: BFenix, Apollyon

Suggestions?

Postby Kalvinator » Sat May 11, 2013 10:56 am

I haven't really listened to Metal, but everyone here seems to like it so I'll give it a shot. What are your best examples so I don't stumble upon something not as good and end up not liking it.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Re: Suggestions?

Postby Tzan » Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 am

Since you have been giving me seizures with that sig, you might like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIGuLXCziU
Lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dethklok ... opter.html
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby samuelzz10 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:16 pm

just listen to dio, kiss, and vinnie vincent
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Silverdream » Sat May 11, 2013 2:13 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:kiss

:troll:

Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Sabaton will lubricate your mind for the heavier metal.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Postby samuelzz10 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Silverdream wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:kiss

:troll:

Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Sabaton will lubricate your mind for the heavier metal.

I do own caught somewhere in time, but I think he needs to listen to some harder rock before he moves into metal.
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Zupponn » Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 pm

My suggestion is to go on Youtube and start clicking on a ton of random metal songs.

Metal is so diverse that it's hard to know where to start. I think the biggest thing that people differentiate on are whether they like growling or not, so start with something with clean vocals:

Dream Theater
Dragonforce
Rammstein
Blind Guardian

Then try out something with the growling vocals:
Amon Amarth
Cannibal Corpse
Deathklok

There are also bands that do both:
In Flames
Trivium
Mastodon
The Ocean

Also, trying some of the most popular/ most influential bands is a pretty good idea too:
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

Hope this helps. :)
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby samuelzz10 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Another good band to consider is Twisted sister and Aerosmith
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby BFenix » Sat May 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Starting to listen to Metal depends from person to person. Sometimes people are drawn by the rush of adrenaline and natural headbanging the fast, shocking and violent music gives them, so they start off with stuff that's a bit more heavy. Others escalate, from rock or punk to the glorious Metal and beyond. So I'll try to keep options available to your taste.

Try listening to The Best of Dio (Diamonds Album), along with Iron Maiden (The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Brave New World, Killers, Maiden is freakin' great so you wont find alot of not-so-epic albums there), Manowar, definitely (Warriors of The World United, Gods of War, Kings of Metal, Fighting the World). I would suggest Black Sabbath but they require a bit more Metal maturity first IMO, but the reference remains (Paranoid, Master of Reality). Judas Priest (the band that fucks up all sorts of genres and derivations. Simply pure, raw, awesome, Heavy Metal). Perhaps some Disturbed (I recall being really fund of them when I started listening to heavier music. Ten Thousand Fists, Indestructible). System of a Down (For some reason, most people I know including myself started listening to Metal with SOAD. Their music is sometimes so, different from everything else that even folks that aren't into Metal at all like them). Overall, if it is a band from the NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) time period, like Saxon and others, you'll be good.

I would also recommend some Power Metal (something along the lines of Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, etc... Then venture off to YouTube and discover countless other bands in the "related" column. Seriously, it works).

If you feel ready for something more violent and aggressive, try the big names of thrash, and no, not just the "Big Four". Metallica (Ride The Lightning, the Black Album, Master of Puppets, Kill 'Em All), Megadeth (Countdown to Extinction, Rust In Peace, Youthanasia), Anthrax (Among The Living, Spreading The Disease, State of Euphoria), Slayer (God Hates Us All, Reign In Blood), Kreator (Pleasure To Kill, Coma of Souls), Exodus (Bonded By Blood, Shovel Headed Killing Machine), Sodom (M-16, Code Orange, In The Sign of Evil), Testament (Souls of Black, The Ritual, The Legacy), Destruction (Cracked Brain, Metal Discharge), among countless others you might discover (the world of Metal is experiencing a New Wave of Thrash Metal lately so there's alot of stuff out there, but I would strongly suggest you listen to old-school stuff first).

From here, taste for other sorts of Metal is completely up to you to develop. If you go down the road of the Metalhead you'll end up enjoying nearly all styles of Metal, I speak for myself at least. Because that's a characteristic of Metal. It takes inspiration and musicality from other music genres, themes, topics and makes them better in an electrifying mix. Hell, 5 years from now I'd never thought I would one day enjoy stuff like Death and Black Metal, only to find out now they're the among the brütalest, Metalest things ever.

Hope this helped. Stay :666:
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Sun May 12, 2013 11:41 am

BFenix wrote:Perhaps some Disturbed (I recall being really fund of them when I started listening to heavier music. Ten Thousand Fists, Indestructible). System of a Down (For some reason, most people I know including myself started listening to Metal with SOAD.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people get into metal through bands like these. Breaking Benjamin is another one of those. I personally got into metal through a combination of all 3 of those and Rammstein. Now I don't really listen to any of those 4. :lol:
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Kalvinator » Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Alright, I'll try out these suggestions. Thanks guys.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby samuelzz10 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am

Kalvinator wrote:Alright, I'll try out these suggestions. Thanks guys.
remember, most of the stuff I posted is gateway metal. If you find it hard,(to get into metal) listen to this playlist:
Detroit rock city
Love gun
Love in an elevator
Toys in the attic
You can't stop rock and roll
I wanna rock
Under the knife
Boyz are gonna rock
Holy diver
my old sig

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Wed May 15, 2013 2:11 pm

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

Just dig around on this thing and find out what you like. You don't have to start with hard rock to appreciate Heavy Metal (although it certainly helps), so just pick things that sound cool and wait until you pop a boner.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Bragallot » Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm

The main thing is that it takes time to get into the heavier stuff, heck it doesn't even have to be super heavy to take time getting into, I used to think Grave Digger choruses were really weird on Excalibur, but gradually grew used to them. Start out by listening to Sepultura: Chaos AD and everything The-rapy (without the '-')? (especially Troublegum and Infernal Love)

Just remember that the one genre of Metal sounds so much different from the other it can hardly be called the same kind of music. Compare Death and Power, for example... and there is a metric shit ton of bands and more being launched every day. What this means is that if you don't like 99 percent of stuff, even then there's potentially a lot to find you will like...
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Return to The Metal