Picture size should be...

640x480
33%
1200x1600
67%

Total votes: 6

lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Re: The Siege of Reichingrad (Round 2) Send your orders!

Post by lawmaster » Mon May 13, 2013 4:47 pm

:fudge:
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Very nice. Can't wait for more. I have a feeling this is gonna be a big battle. :D

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

it took several look troughs of each of the three threads for this battle before I really understood what was happening and where it was happening in relation to the other happenings. This is acually a fairly complicated battlefield, which is uncommon, so nice job on building it! Might have to look here for some inspiration on my next brikwars battles.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

What's really impressive is how much action you managed to fit into a small space. I was worried that everything would be way too close together and our entire army would be in hand to hand range by turn 1, but it works.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks a lot, making a good battlefield is always a challenge, though limited space can be turned to your advantage (who wants a battle where you have to spend more time trying to reach each other than anything else anyway). I've noticed in my past battles it was very easy to have a battlefield where everything kind of just meets in the middle or you get 2 big lines of shooters facing off (especially in the fantasy battles) and 99 percent of the field doesn't get used, which is a shame. I think the trick is probably to have things on different levels and buildings that can be accessed. Also, looking at Zombie Zulu can really help.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am

yeah.. in most of the "real life" battles I've ever hosted, I spent huge ass amounts of time working on building nice buildings, and then nobody ever goes inside of them because it's too hard to access them and you can kill people just as well from outside of the buildings anyway. So theyend up just being scenery and not really adding to the game at all because people just walk around them.

Having one really big fortification that sort of encompasses most of the battlefield seems to be a pretty good solution though, although it also gives a huge advantage to "defenders" . It's also interesting in this battle how some of the attacking forces seem to start "inside" the fortifications, or at least some of them.

Also, the walls are pretty hard to break down, so they have the effect of herding infantry to certain places, so with enough foresight, traps and secret doors could be incorporated to advantage players who are paying more attention and thus making the game more fun.

Another aspect in a "defending" sort of scenario, part of the defending army is often completely out of range of the attacking army for the first half of the game, which is rather unfortunate, but seems to have been avoided here, as I haven't seen any figs just standing around doing nothing.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 am

piltogg wrote:yeah.. in most of the "real life" battles I've ever hosted, I spent huge ass amounts of time working on building nice buildings, and then nobody ever goes inside of them because it's too hard to access them and you can kill people just as well from outside of the buildings anyway. So they end up just being scenery and not really adding to the game at all because people just walk around them.
I find that there's a trick to designing buildings that will be useful enough in battle that units will want to either get into them or blow holes in them to change their tactical situation. The most important thing seems to be making them open and accessible enough that units inside them don't feel constrained, movement-wise. Second most important is giving them lots of cover points with firing angles at important thoroughfares, and third is placing them so that they either block or facilitate maneuvering in an important way (buildings used as barriers or bridges, respectively).
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?