Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Re: Military LEGO Theme(s)?

Post by Insert_blank » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 am

Ben-Jammin wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:
Kirillyos wrote: For example, people typically refer to "government" (I'll pick on the gov't, since prettty much everyone resents some aspect of it, and as a Libertarian, I get to make fun of both Dems and Reps)
:dog: Please tell me more about your libertarian views and your strange ability to make fun of both dems and reps?
Ooooh, sarcasm and memes! Someone's johnny-on-the-spot with picking up the new trends! Better tell all your myspace buddies about it, it'll be rad!
:tiger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w
You got me fair and square. But I still think your statement was a little bit silly. :cry:
Just Monika

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 am

Insert_blank wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:
Kirillyos wrote:
Insert_blank wrote:
Kirillyos wrote: For example, people typically refer to "government" (I'll pick on the gov't, since prettty much everyone resents some aspect of it, and as a Libertarian, I get to make fun of both Dems and Reps)
:dog: Please tell me more about your libertarian views and your strange ability to make fun of both dems and reps?
Ooooh, sarcasm and memes! Someone's johnny-on-the-spot with picking up the new trends! Better tell all your myspace buddies about it, it'll be rad!
:tiger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZq3An7Tf_w
You got me fair and square. But I still think your statement was a little bit silly. :cry:
To be fair, my first thought was "a Libertarian is feeling superior because HE can make fun of OTHER political views?" but I tend to try and stay out of this kind of thing, no matter how rich in irony.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

I usually do as well but I view this forum as a big playground to mess around in. i just wanna play.
Just Monika

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm

LEGO shouldn't do it because it would glorify war for kids, and is especially insensitive to children in war-torn countries. Also, what nations' militaries would be represented? Besides, AFOLS for whom war-themes are age-appropriate typically have the skill to build their own military LEGO.
This is BS. I grew up playing with green army men (some black / purplish and orange ones too) and was constantly interested in anything that had to do with vor sveet vor, doesn't make me glorify war. It's not like my Lego guys didn't have massive wars and weren't being eviscerated, blown up or having their heads chopped off because they weren't army men. In fact, by actually learning what war was, I came to realize war is bad, m'kay?
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Bragallot wrote:
LEGO shouldn't do it because it would glorify war for kids, and is especially insensitive to children in war-torn countries. Also, what nations' militaries would be represented? Besides, AFOLS for whom war-themes are age-appropriate typically have the skill to build their own military LEGO.
This is BS. I grew up playing with green army men (some black / purplish and orange ones too) and was constantly interested in anything that had to do with vor sveet vor, doesn't make me glorify war. It's not like my Lego guys didn't have massive wars and weren't being eviscerated, blown up or having their heads chopped off because they weren't army men. In fact, by actually learning what war was, I came to realize war is bad, m'kay?
qft I'm totally the same.
Just Monika

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:00 pm

We already had this discussion with regards to LEGO Fiends, but honestly I'd prefer if LEGO was *less* violent than it is today. I don't have any problem with kids playing war, but outside of the Fiends sets most of the LEGO product lines revolve around conflict, and kids could do with a broader imagination than that.
IVhorseman wrote:Clearly we don't need permission from LEGO to build these things ourselves - for fuck's sake we play brikwars. I think all the people who are demanding military sets are just not creative enough to make them on their own. There's nobody stopping you from doing it, so go ahead and build your tanks. LEGO won't have to promote violence and you still get your tanks - it's a win/win for both of us.

The biggest reason LEGO doesn't make tanks is because they don't need to. We'll keep buying bricks to make em ourselves and they know that.
This. And might I add, LEGO-built weapons kind of suck. Compare flick-fire missiles, spring loaded launchers, and Star Wars POOP laser cannons to the sorts of guns we can build using generic bricks and our own ingenuity. I don't really understand why we'd even care what themes LEGO releases; it doesn't take much effort or practice to build better stuff on your own.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Either go all out and make an actual military theme, or re-introduce some peaceful themes classic-space style.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Post by CADmonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm

I think that was my second Lego set. And just a few years later my friends and I all thought that Lego was for "little kids". Christ we were dumb.

mercury19
different
Location: The dark corners of my brooding, angst filled mind.

Post by mercury19 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 pm

This thread reminds me of the whole violent video games thing. Do they really make you violent? Honestly, I don't think so. I play violent video games, and I would crap my pants if someone gave me an assault rifle and said "go fight!" I love playing the games and imagining, but I couldn't imagine actually killing someone.

However, I agree that lego should stay away from military. It is very generic, and if you want to take the time, just browse the webs, and copy other peoples creations. There is plenty of military stuff out there for it.
Ask now what I'm doing, even for me :mystery:

Tzan wrote:
"The frontiers of space are a giant sausage fest." ~ Admiral Ackbar

http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... han_Empire the Avokhan article

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:15 pm

mercury19 wrote:This thread reminds me of the whole violent video games thing. Do they really make you violent? Honestly, I don't think so. I play violent video games, and I would crap my pants if someone gave me an assault rifle and said "go fight!" I love playing the games and imagining, but I couldn't imagine actually killing someone.
On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.
http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school

As for Lego making military sets, I'm totally against it. I already have too much green and brown. I want some more red and blue and pink, etc. in my parts bin.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 pm

i find it a little hypocritical , that the same ppl will say that exposing young children to sexual situations or teachings , have no impact on a childs experimenting with sexuality. We have the 2 mommy books in school sex classes or proper use of condoms & the televisions sliding scale of morality & permisiveness & then people say , no correlation tween any of this and the degredation of moral standards. We teach children they are no more than monkeys with a little evolution & then stand back in shock when they in fact act like an animal.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Gungnir wrote:On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school
A prime example of the daily happenings in the fucked-up land of California.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:On the subject of playing war, I couldn't remove my palm from my face for a whole six hours after reading this.http://now.msn.com/toy-gun-exchange-hel ... ary-school
Is concurring still a bannable offense?

mercury19
different
Location: The dark corners of my brooding, angst filled mind.

Post by mercury19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Colette wrote:
Ben-Jammin wrote:
Is concurring still a bannable offense?
What is meant by concurring in this instance? can I not agree with someone?
Ask now what I'm doing, even for me :mystery:

Tzan wrote:
"The frontiers of space are a giant sausage fest." ~ Admiral Ackbar

http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... han_Empire the Avokhan article

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 pm

No concurring! It's the forums' earliest rule, right before "No Trying to Make the Thread About Yourself."
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?