The Last of Us

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

The Last of Us

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 am

Normally I wouldn't post about a game that won't come out for months, but here's a Lego trailer for it

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do more with the setting, I've always wanted to see this sort of setting done, the whole fungus-zombie, but it seems like they kind of took a conservative approach to it with the zombies being the more sort of typical video game gnarly people sort of deal. I really think it is a missed opportunity, imagine if they took the "urban jungle" concept a few steps further and had chosen a very sparse, almost monochromatic Naussica Valley of the wind toxic jungle thing, spores dancing through the air, pure white, fuzzy buildings, and all of it is full of vicious zombies and giant insects and shit. That would really be something.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Silverdream » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Saw the E3 trailer. It looks like the road but much less depressing.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am

The thing that's most promising about this game is the story. Naughty Dog has proven that they're more than capable of creating a fantastically cinematic game with the Uncharted series, and now they're breaking away from it to give another game the same treatment. The gameplay looks great, but the characters, voice acting, cutscenes, and story are what's going to make this a truly great game.

I haven't been following this game a whole lot, but I don't think you see exactly what the setting is about. You're forgetting about the other survivors. In a lot of games and movies, survivors seem to team up and fight the zombies together, so it just becomes a zombie shooting gallery. This is one of those games that uses them as main enemies, and makes you feel like nowhere - and no one - is safe.Like I said, I don't know all of the details, so I'm more than willing to be corrected, but I think they're going to focus more on the fighting between the groups of survivors. The zombies seem like more of a secondary threat that sets the stage for the apocalyptic setting.

Either way, I'm so looking forward to this game.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeah, it looks great. For some reason IVHorseman made a second thread, when we already had a thread for it.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 pm

That's because this thread is old. Either way I deleted it, so here's what I wrote:

Did anyone else pick this up? Because holy shit is it an awesome game. It's hard for me to get emotionally attached to video game characters but hot damn did this do a good job of that.

The online is even better than the single player too, which says a LOT. If anyone else plays I would love to join up and play some Survivors with you.

And now to answer some of your guys' burning questions:

*I don't even know if I'd honestly call the zombies zombies. It's a cordyceps fungus (like that stuff that affects ants), which means that the body chemistry isn't actually that altered. The infected aren't corpses shambling back to life after having died, but instead simply people who got infected by it lose their fucking minds and attack whatever they can. The whole time they're doing it, they're screaming and crying and shouting indistinctly. It's really creepy. As the fungus grows within them though it ends up taking over more of their body and THEN they become strange other creatures, who use echolocation to see you (which is fucking terrifying, actually).

*This is most certainly a game about people rather than zombies. It shows not only how brutal people are to one another, but characterizes the enemies so well that you understand that they really HAVE to ambush and kill you if they just want to survive. It's a little unsettling.

*It does NOT play like Uncharted. there's no rolling around or blindfiring, you're a 50-something year old man so the best you can do is sprint and climb, although the climbing is not as diverse as it was in Uncharted either. While a lot of the gameplay is certainly similar (3rd person cover shooter where you solve geographic puzzles and shit in between), it's firmly established as a different game entirely.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

It's funny that you mention it not playing like Uncharted. When I was watching the first gameplay trailer, they ended up in a hotel or something and had to look for a ladder to climb to the next level. All I could think was "Just climb the scaffolding! Grab a ledge or something!"

I really want to pick up this game, but I don't really have any money right now. I'll probably have to wait until my birthday in September, or something. This and Bioshock Infinite.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am

I honestly wasn't going to get it, because I'm tired of zombie stuff. But I've been hearing a lot of good things about it from pretty much everybody and I almost feel obligated to get it.

What, if there are any, are the cons to this game?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 am

The initial loading times are pretty obscene, and in the multiplayer, you sometimes get kicked out of matches for no good reason. This wouldn't be too bad, except that there's a whole metagame about collecting supplies in each match to feed your growing clan of survivors, and when you get kicked, it counts as a loss and a bunch of them get sick or die. I guess another con is that it's incredibly depressing. Just about every plot event is a huuuuge bummer, and the worst part about it is how damn plausible it all is. The decisions people make suck, and yet their motivations are clear and you KNOW they made the choice that you would have in their shoes. I've heard of a lot of people who can only play it in short bursts, because goddamn. For example,

Yeah, the ladder thing is definitely one of the differences. I picked up Uncharted 3 when I got it since it's pretty cheap by now, and the difference in the height of things Drake can climb vs. what Joel can climb is pretty damn staggering. You can still climb up to whatever you can reach, but you never even really jump unless you're hopping over a short gap.

Again, I would hardly call this a zombie game. The outbreak at the time the game picks up was 20 years ago, and while the infected still prowl around, regular-ass people are what cause the biggest problems.There's people at point A and people at point B, and while there are zombies in between, it's the scavengers and raiders that'll get you.

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Just finished this game. Fuck.

No other game has made me feel as desperate as that last level.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 pm

The wandering through the forest bit, right?

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:32 pm

IVhorseman wrote:The wandering through the forest bit, right?
Okay, the second last level.
Spoiler
Show
The hospital level.
I just call it the last level because it's the last level where anything happens. But seriously, there was a section earlier in the game where I got stuck for a while, and I would get irritated every time I died. But at that last section, all I could think was "I can't die, not now".
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:42 pm

I actually died there like... over and over and over again. Shit was intense. Wish the assault rifle came a little earlier though.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:45 am

IVhorseman wrote:The initial loading times are pretty obscene, and in the multiplayer, you sometimes get kicked out of matches for no good reason. This wouldn't be too bad, except that there's a whole metagame about collecting supplies in each match to feed your growing clan of survivors, and when you get kicked, it counts as a loss and a bunch of them get sick or die. I guess another con is that it's incredibly depressing. Just about every plot event is a huuuuge bummer, and the worst part about it is how damn plausible it all is. The decisions people make suck, and yet their motivations are clear and you KNOW they made the choice that you would have in their shoes. I've heard of a lot of people who can only play it in short bursts, because goddamn. For example,
Lies. I play about half a season a burst.
Also, has anyone noticed how many of Joels "friends" are douches?
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick