The future of Brikwars RPG's

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

The future of Brikwars RPG's

Post by alphafalcon541 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm

This should probably go in discussion but whatever. So, as an idea to get more people into Brikwars those of us who have rules for Brikwars RPG's, and those who host battles using those rules should start thinking about writing up an actual supplement for brikwars. As I think Colette mentioned Eurobricks has already got and RPG section with Heroica and Mafia RPG's, so we could introduce it there. So if anyone is willing to start working on this with me I think that would be awesome. And yes I know there are already written up rules but most of them are skeletal and need some work to get them to be really awesome.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: The future of Brikwars RPG's

Post by cleanupcrew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 pm

http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=10008

That version, along with Zup's, is completely functional. It includes leveling up, skill, move, armor, and special abilities/SD thereby combining the best ideas from Zup's and Silva's. It is the most comprehensive one on the forum.

It is also impractical, as leveling up takes a shitton amount of time (aka multiple games) although since I reduced the number of levels it may have gotten a bit better. If we wanted to introduce this on Eurobricks we would want it to be different from the Heroica thing- maybe the distinguishing feature could be a focus on the combat instead of role play? You would also have to contact Dragonator before doing anything, and the battefield should be decently constructed and the violence handled in a professional manner.

EDIT: I'm going to go back and rethink my brikwaRPG system. I want to account for unit cp somehow and have an XP system to make the leveling up mechanic better, but that might turn off actual brikwarriors due to the math involved.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes I know and yes defining it by combat would probably be best because brikwars focuses on combat to the max. Keep the math simplish but let me see it after you finish it. I can start writing up a larger version with all the stuff included pictures and examples. I'm hoping for this to be a community project not just 2 or 3 people.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

My rules were created based on two principles:

6 - Keeping it as simple as possible.
7 - Keeping it as close to the Brikwars rules as possible.

The first one is the more important of the two IMO.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 am

Well I would like to keep it simple but making it into something more might be fun. Yes you are right we need to keep it simple.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Anyone willing to start helping me to compile all the brikwars rpg rules combine em and write up a small supplement rulebook. I would love to see this written up and posted and maybe even get its own subforum in forum battles. It could also lead to other supplements being written and possible help from rayhawk on that. Hope some want to do this if so tell me.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 pm

My greatest dream is to build a decent sized city out of Lego that looks reasonably realistic, and then use it for like a continuous roleplay. The 3rd part of the Head Separator battle had about the size I'm hoping for, but with better buildings and stuff. People would have houses or apartments and could live there and then like there would be NPC quests and stuff or something awesome like that.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Natalya wrote:My greatest dream is to build a decent sized city out of Lego that looks reasonably realistic, and then use it for like a continuous roleplay. The 3rd part of the Head Separator battle had about the size I'm hoping for, but with better buildings and stuff. People would have houses or apartments and could live there and then like there would be NPC quests and stuff or something awesome like that.
I made something similar to this once, but it was a city block and a hitman instead. Basically, there was a dungeon master and the hitman (or hitmen) and the hitman had to kill a minifig with no clear identification (IE: He's wearing a green shirt is all you have to go off of) and other hitmen had to try and kill you. Also, killing the wrong guy attracted the cops. It was pretty awesome.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:
Natalya wrote:My greatest dream is to build a decent sized city out of Lego that looks reasonably realistic, and then use it for like a continuous roleplay. The 3rd part of the Head Separator battle had about the size I'm hoping for, but with better buildings and stuff. People would have houses or apartments and could live there and then like there would be NPC quests and stuff or something awesome like that.
I made something similar to this once, but it was a city block and a hitman instead. Basically, there was a dungeon master and the hitman (or hitmen) and the hitman had to kill a minifig with no clear identification (IE: He's wearing a green shirt is all you have to go off of) and other hitmen had to try and kill you. Also, killing the wrong guy attracted the cops. It was pretty awesome.
Damn, now I'm wishing you recorded that.

Natalya's thing sounds cool, but it also sounds like <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of work. Then again, that's what Rayhawk said about forum battles.
Image lol j/k

BrickSyd
Cannon Fodder

Post by BrickSyd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 am

I've always been interested in the RPG style and will be willing to help if there's anything I can do.

In fact I'm currently working on my own rule set and plan to host a forum battle to try it. The battlefield is almost done but I still need to work on the presentation and maybe tune the rules a bit more.

I guess the first thing I should do is post my rules in Colette's thread and discuss it there. I think I have something that could work and would really like to be told why it wouldn't.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

If you want use this topic to post it in and we'll review it and say what's wrong. I'll change the title so people know to come here and check rules out. Then we can work from there

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:39 pm

It would be tons of work, but I want to build a city, and then this would be the perfect way to play with it. I'm like 24 but I still just like to straight-up play with Lego, though this would be a little more sophisticated.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 pm

who cares what age you are you can always play with lego's. As long as there is a lot of violence :studgod:

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I might be stealing that idea if I ever get a lot of spare time and space.

BrickSyd
Cannon Fodder

Post by BrickSyd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm

alphafalcon541 wrote:If you want use this topic to post it in and we'll review it and say what's wrong.
What I wanted was to include a leveling system, experience points, money, inventory, special abilities and customized stats so I came up with this system where everything is tracked on a brikbuild character sheet.

Character Sheet:

Levelling:
*Characters can (technically) starts at any level.
*The maximum level a character can reaches is 25.

There are two possible ways of levelling: QuickwaRPG and Campaign.

QuickwaRPG:
When the Adventurer kills an opponent with a Skill rating, make one final roll of the Adventurer's Skill against the opponent's Skill. If the Adventurer's roll is lower, then he "levels up".

Campaign:
You gain experience by killing things but also by performing other actions (such as reviving). The experience is calculated from the cp cost of the stuff involved (killing or reviving a 4 cp minifig grants 4 xp) or from the result of a dice roll, whatever seems more appropriate.
*Killing a defenseless target (a rock, an unmanned vehicule, a crippled ship,...) does not grant XP.
*Only the value of the destroyed component counts (engines, dakka, HP...).

*If more than one unit contribute to the kill/destruction then the XP is distributed equally among the contributors.

Experience Bar: (campaign only)
The XP bar is on the left side of the character sheet. Each gold tile represent 1 XP. To level up, stack an amount of experience point equal to your current level on every stud of the experience bar.
*Set the length of the XP bar to a number of studs that will fit your campaign needs.
*You can reduce the number of xp tiles needed by using a second type that is worth a number of experience points equal to your character's current level. This will also makes the character sheet more manageable especially at higher level.
Spoiler
Show
The XP bar can (technically) be set to any number of studs making levelling time flexible.
Every level require more XP than the previous to complete:

Code: Select all

Required XP to go from level 1 (Minifig) to level 10 (Hero) with different XP bar:
1 stud: 55xp 
2 studs: 110xp
3 studs: 165xp
4 studs: 220xp
5 studs: 275xp
Required XP to get to level 10 (Hero) from different starting levels using an 8 studs XP bar:
From level 9: 72xp
From level 8: 136xp
From level 7: 192xp
From level 6: 240xp
From level 5: 280xp
Inventory:
Any object that would reasonnably fit on a belt, inside a pocket or around your neck can be carried in the character belt (6 slots). In the above example, the character is carrying some food, a sword, a grenade and a gun.

Money Pouch:
The crate is used to carry your CP (money).

Special Ability:
Your character is allowed two special abilities. The flying goggles indicates that this character has the piloting skill (bought at the regular brikwars cost of 1cp).

Status Bar:
The right side of the character sheet is the status bar. Conditions (e.g. poisonned) are tracked here.
In this case, the golden cup indicates that this character has reached level 10 and is allowed to perform heroic feat.

Stats:
Every time you level up, you can increase one of your stats by one level except at level 10 where you get access to Heroic Feats instead.
Each stat is color coded: Blue = Skill, White = Move, Green = Armor, Brown = HP, Red = +DMG. The sixth row is for supernatural power.
Spoiler
Show
Skill:
stubby wrote: If Skill rolls work in BWRPG anything like they do in regular BW, then skill ratings with +1s and +2s on them fuck everything up.
Level 0 - Skill = 1d4 (Incompetent)
Level 1 - Skill = 1d6 (Trained)
Level 2 - Skill = 1d8 (Expert)
Level 3 - Skill = 1d10 (Heroic
Level 4 - Skill = 1d12 (Supernatural)

Movement:
Level 0 - Move = 5''
Level 1 - Move = 6''
Level 2 - Move = 7''
Level 3 - Move = 8''
Level 4 - Move = 9''

Armor:
Level 0 - Armor = 1d6
Level 1 - Armor = 1d8
Level 2 - Armor = 1d10
Level 3 - Armor = 1d12
Level 4 - Armor = 2d6

Hit Point:
Level 0 - 0 hp
Level 1 - 1 hp
Level 2 - 2 hp
Level 3 - 3 hp
Level 4 - 4 hp
*When your character receives one point of damage, add one rounded 1x1 red transparent tile (blood) on a HP of your character sheet. If there's no more HP to be marked, your character dies. Spill blood around his body.

+Damage:
Level 0 - Normal damage
Level 1 - Damage +1
Level 2 - Damage +2
Level 3 - Damage +3
Level 4 - Damage +1d6

Supernatural Power:
Use faces to build the dices of your choice (up to a maximum of four dices).
(1d6 = 6 faces, 1d8 = 8 faces, and so on)
Level 0 - No supernatural power
Level 1 - 10 faces (ex: 1d6+1d4)
Level 2 - 20 faces (ex: 2d10)
Level 3 - 30 faces (ex: 3d8+1d6)
Level 4 - 40 faces (ex: 2d12+1d10+1d6)

Using these six attributes, you get that the average Minifig is level 1:
Skill: 1d6 (1 point)
Move: 5'' (0 point)
Armor: 1d6 (0 point)

And the Hero is level 10:
Skill: 1d10 (3 points)
Move: 7'' (2 points)
Armor: 2d6 (4 points)
Heroic feat (1 point - level 10)

The pictured character sheet is level 12.
As you go along, you loot treasures and are able to buy new gear that also affect your stats (wearing body protection or a helmet can increases your armor).

What do you think?

*Added as edits
Last edited by BrickSyd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.