Brickfair 2013 Display

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Brickfair 2013 Display

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 am

Hi folks. Lord Mercat and I are currently camped out at the above named convention. Lord Mercat assembled a killer battle set up complete with dynamic rivers, swirling magic, and floating platforms. Today and tomorrow we will be getting some battles in. I took some preliminary shots of the display set up: Dragon Guard vs Mythic Order at the ruins of Thairm.

Here are two shots of the "display" depicting a staged battle. Lot's of neat poses and arrangements, though this is, in and of itself, not reflective of an actual brickwar. The set up was produced merely for the joy of the public.

The centerpieces to Lord Mercat's medieval faction - which I am told was more hastily completed JUST for the convention and the sake of our coming battles - are three murderbeasts. The Murderbeasts are rancor figures for which Lord Mercat has produced custom armor. Their awesomeness cannot be overstated:

Some shots depicting various action sequences: a mage tackling the guardian of a magic sword, a ballista being blown to smithereens, a warg drowning a Dragon Guard archer...

Image.

One of the more interesting facets of our games is this particular character whose function you should easily ascertain.

A few more action shots:

And these next few take some explaining. So Lord Mercat has - quite inexpensively I might add - been able to acquire a pretty full faction of Black Falcons while at Brickfair. Almost 50 at less than $3 for a fully equipped figure. Thus we decided that the display ought to have some roving Black Falcons jumping into the fray. The ironic thing was that the MOC castle to the left of our table space was in fact garrisoned by someone elses Black Falcons! Made determining "where" the Falcons came from pretty easy, lol!

Hope you enjoy these teasers. We'll have better battlefield shots, some dramatic vignettes, and two battle reports headed your way soon!

~Rev.
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Re: Brickfair 2013 Display

Post by alphafalcon541 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:26 pm

sweet can we have more picture of the rest of the battlefield please. I would like to see a bit more before it is destroyed completly
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Dat waterfall...

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 am

And as per request, here I'm going to post some "blank" photos of the battlefield without any combatants on it. The field is depictive of a legendary and magical ruin in the region of Thairm where the might Sword of Aurora is protected.The area teems with magika and energy, enough to defy the laws of physiks and cause even the most hearty mage to reconsider his travels to such a queer place. Ancient guardians protect the blade, and few can fathom what might happen should the blade fall into the hands of the unworthy...

Here is a basic Overwatch of the field. There are some Black Falcons marching across; it is true. Don't worry about them just yet. Their purpose will be made clear soon enough.

Thairm is the resting place of the Sword of Aurora. The blade is immensely powerful. Magic forcefields protect it on its scenic perch atop an iridescent waterfall.

The Sword of Aurora is protected by the Guardian, an ancient and worthy adversary whose sole purpose is to maintain a vigil over the blade. Eating, sleeping, breathing, life, death are all immaterial to this esoteric figure. Merely seeking the blade is for it an act of treason against which retaliation and swift justice are the only answers.

Thairm contains your quintessential crumbling walls.

The magiks of the sword are so immense that they power giant chunks of levitating stone and iron. This particularly platform is also a teleporter with the potential to reach other extreme portions of the field.

The central waterfall feeds into a mighty river. An equally mighty - yet completely destructible - bridge spans the waters.

The waterfall resembles a cave-like, archway structure that cuts the battlefield in half.

To the nether edge of the field is a mighty archway. Who can say to whence this great gate once led or into which planes it currently grants access. Perhaps to nowhere? Perhaps to the most epic reaches of the Brikverse.

Beyond the Great Gate is a field of stone pillars. One could easily get lost in their maze-like appearance.

Finally, there is but one clear way to gain access to the Sword of Aurora. One must use the teleport pad leading up to the suspension bridge. Of course, the guardian has waited patiently for eons, hoping that somefig might be foolish enough to step on the the swaying ropes and boards, all too eager for death and glory.

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 am

This looks epic! I wish we had conventions like this in Germany as well. Ok, we do have Lego conventions but you cannot do Brikwars there due to the rampant pacifism in piltogg land. :-(
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

What an awesome field thanks for showing it of.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Holy shit this is awesome.

I want to make one now.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Beautiful stuff. Makes me wish I'd gone.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Benjammin, the armored rancors were intimidating as all get out. And there were THREE.

The battlefield Lord Mercat put together was pretty great, but the best parts were meeting LM, battling LM, seeing LM's custom figs in person, making some new friends, running into old ones, and generally being surrounded by LEGO all weekend, in no particular order... :-)

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah, brickfair was totally awesome! Battling Rev was even more awesome, and many, many pictures were taken, and even more blood was shed. We had two battles, one skirmish at 30 figs each, and then a massive battle with each side fielding around 80-100 units, we didn't count the exact number, but needless to say, some seriously sweet battle reports are headed this way.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.
Marriages Saved: 1

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:58 pm

sci-fi or medivo. Also how long until we see battle reports

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 am

Patience, friend. I've got over 200 photos in soap opera backstory, terrain setup, new unit showcasing, and two actual battles to sort through. You won't be disappointed. The battles are Medivo; my Dragon Guard versus Mercat's Mythic Order. As Lord Mercat said, there is a 30-man skirmish, and a massive battle where the whole Dragon Guard hit the field for the first time.

alphafalcon541
Dimmy

Post by alphafalcon541 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am

Nice, sounds great