something massive this way comes.

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

something massive this way comes.

Post by tahthing » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Some of you might remember my tiny tanks and mech armies (uploaded and posted under the alt muffinman42, sorry for the confusion).
Well i've made another thing!

It's the same scale, but massive.

Those are tanks, not small tanks, just tanks. Think Challenger 2 size.

Open wide!

Let it all out. one skiff at a time.

Not completely happy, feel it needs to look more solid on the joint between the tracks and the body. Thinking of extending the skirt up to the body.

I plan to make some rules for this scale, but i'm not sure where to start or even the scaling factor as it's a bit free-form and not all the models seem the right size. Two rules i'm sure on is that carriers must carry vehicles actually in or on the model, and be valid targets when such, and vehicles will have very limited HP, typically one but larger vehicles might be able to absorb two or three, though armour rolls will be a bit beefer than in BW leading to more shots bouncing.

I'm thinking weapons should have massive ranges but accuracy and power should scale with range. So a small nible skiff with a terrible gun can still knock out a tank if allowed to get close enough.
Also considering turns being more free form, so you can shoot OR move rather than having different phrases and to have movement speed increased till vehicles are closer together.

So in this encounter the tanks would close in to be able to penetrate the thickly armoured crawler, but also have the option to shoot out its tracks. The small skiffs it can deploy would also have to close in on the tanks themselves to penetrate there armour.

I really like the idea of a micro-war rule set that instead of allowing BW to be fought in a smaller area, instead just allows the battle field to be effectively larger, with a focus on movement and distances so that battles will be decided based on positioning rather than just dice.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: something massive this way comes.

Post by Silverdream » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 pm

This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 pm

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm not a fan of how ArmorWars works, HP is never my cup of tea for vehicles, plus it's designed for a larger scale.

Microspace seems to be what i'm thinking, given how it's movement is for ground units anyway!(fixed distance movement rather than velocity changes).
Just modifying range and accuracy to more the sort of battle i'm thinking.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 am

I have plans to build an Armored Core at this scale:

lorbaat
Minifig

Post by lorbaat » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Lego should sell a shirt with that image. Dark blue with white ink. In adult sizes.

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Post by halo 3000 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 pm

tahthing wrote:I'm not a fan of how ArmorWars works, HP is never my cup of tea for vehicles, plus it's designed for a larger scale.
I agree, Armor Wars is designed for a much larger scale and wouldn't work well for the scale you're working with here. The thing is, if you don't have HP, then you need to have a very large quantity of tanks, or else they will die off too quickly. Again, HP doesn't work well for this scale, it would be very hard to keep track of that.

If you did make a game out of this, I think it would be awesome if it was based around the crawlers.

I tell you what man, I've been wanting to make a game at this scale also. We could work together if you wanted.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza