August 4 Brikwar @ Brickfair: Round 2 [Complete]

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

August 4 Brikwar @ Brickfair: Round 2 [Complete]

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Note: Life at the office has been pretty hectic. I've just returned from a full vacation, we are training a new hire, and I've got three out-of-town training events upcoming. Nevertheless, I do not want to keep the brikwars peeps hanging.

The battlefield of Thairm is a mystical, chaotic plane. Few know from whence the ruins came; few know the ruins' true destiny. Adventurers far and wide know this place as the dwelling of Aurora, one of the four mystically imbued swords. Aurora sits at the crest of a celestial waterfall whose streams appear to bring arcane life to the barren surroundings.

Warlords across the eons, across the reaches of Medivo, across the Astral, ABS, and negaverses have vainly sought to possess these swords. Aurora, it seems, has stood the test of time, witnessing the coming and going of great armies at the foot of her falls. Aurora's custodian is the humble Guardian, an esoteric figure who keeps his eternal vigil over the sacred blade. His one great desire is to seek Aurora and her magic free from anyone's grasp.

G.R. 2013 is a time of great upheaval in the regions around Thairm. At least one bloody battle vied for supremacy over the blade. Unfortunately, the Dragon Guard's expeditionary force was massacred by a Mythic Order scouting party. For some reason, Arycelle's forces did not seek immediate possession of the blade, instead taking word of the Dragon Guard's presence to the heroes of the Mythic Order. Since the skirmish, both forces had ample time to array themselves in battle lines for a truly epic clash. Great murderbeasts were to be unleashed upon the hapless Dragon Guard. For their own part, Darius--newly appointed grand marshal of the Dragon Guard--forged swift alliances with a Leoncor detachment and a cadre of wood elves in hopes of evening the odds (not to mention the mustering of his own war machines).

Turn 0/Battlefield Array

For the first time ever, the entire Dragon Guard force hits the table together. You can procure pictures of the battlefield in the other brickfair threads; I won't reproduce them here. The left flank of the Dragon Guard is dominated by flying and galloping steeds, a squad of archers and of elves, a spear shieldwall, a ballista, and the wyrmfire cannon. The heavy doses of cavalry are a result of this side of the board possessing the most open terrain. Granted, one could only assume Lord Mercat will also go cavalry heavy on this flank...

The right flank is more problematic for the side of the board I've chosen. A swift flowing river severely hampers movement, and my previous battle demonstrates just how precarious it can be to march across a bridge! Nevertheless, I swarm my infantry to this side: spears, fireblades, dual-wielders, a squad of archers, the griffon, and a ballista. I'm not pleased that so many feet are going to have to make due with the river, but I could not have rightly put my cavalry over here either...We'll see how this pans out.

Mythic Order forces on my left flank are faced with an interesting dilemma too. That side has a river that cuts off a full 1/4 of the deployment zone without any bridge way. The floating platform in the back left corner is actually a teleporter that will send any unit that touches is a random (1d20) set of inches forward. Lord Mercat assembles various infantry near the teleporter, sets up his uber-lance cavalry on the proper riverbank, and backs it all up with a champion murderbeast :shock: .

On the right flank, the Mythic Order assembles various degrees of infantry: rangers, crossbowmen, werewolf berserkers, paladins, swordsmen, halberdiers, you name it. Heavy hitters on this side include a large ballista and another murderbeast :shock:. This side of the field contains another floating platform that leads to the sword of Aurora. There is also a large boulder field that makes non-minifig maneuverability quite a challenge.

Turn 1

Mythic Order

The Mythic Order begins its turn with a spirited charge across the field. I should note that I'm a pretty poor judge of estimate distances; In both games, Lord Mercat was able to jump his horses into a sprint and secure first blood. In this case, two archers and one spearman are greeted by lance-tips.

Here you can begin to see the effects of Lord Mercat using the teleporter to reposition his infantry on the left flank. Many simply plop themselves in the river. A goodly amount of others zoom right up nearly into the Dragon Guard's face. Also note that the Mythic Order is STAUNCHLY anti-peach. Two elves are slain by ranger fire.

Left flank Overwatch where you can see the remainder of Mythic Order movements and teleportations.

On the right flank, Dragon Guard officer Volkaire decided to lead the charge, accompanied by two of his very own Grimfang Guard. I mean, heroic leaders always urge their lessers on from the front lines right? Or had Darius order Volkaire to the front lines after their squabble? At any rate, Mythic Order rangers place Volkaire in their sights and shoot him DOWN!

A cadre of Mythic Order crossbowmen (and a ranger) utilize the hovering platform to gain range advantage.

Gestalt - a roguey Mythic Order hero known for his multiplicity of knives and blades - sneaks up on one of his own men and steals a sword, which he deftly intends to launch at some shmuck of a target on Dragon Guard lines (A grimfang? I don't remember...). The sword, however, is destined only for the river...

Dragon Guard

"Enough of this Insolence!" Seeing his men so wastefully dispatched by the brazen charges of Mythic Order knights, Darius dismounts and swings his mighty warhammer at a nearby stone pillar. The shockwave either incapacitates or slays a barded steed and disrupts the rider.

Nearby, two dragon knights dispatch the other MO knight.

Darius remounts, and his soldiers begin their own bouts of carnage. A Dragon Rider burninates several Rangers on a ledge, a dragon knights charges into a warg outrider, and a spearman and swordsman mutually slay each other.

Another angle of the dual charge.

Along the far left edge where the Dragon Riders had initially deployed, one rider foolishly charges three set-pikemen. The Dragon Mount is no more.

On the right flank, the Dragon Guard have learned from their previous mistakes! The squad of dual wielders easily sprint the bridge, while spearmen and fireblades choose to swim to the other side. Frescka and the griffon fly forward, and archers begin to line the riverbank.

Volkaire's death weighs heavily on the minds of his remaining guard. They sprint forward in attempts to be the first to clash on this side of the field. Dragon Guard arches have eliminated to rangers on this side as well.

The Dragon Guard balllista also sends an explosive canister into the magic pillar onto which four Mythic Order ranged units had ascended on Lord Mercat's turn. Sadly, the damage is pitiful and the platform does not collapse...yet...

Turn 2

Mythic Order

Gestalt begins humping another one of his swordsmen, either in an attempt to steal another sword or to get some height to launch a dagger and snap the chains of the nearby Dragon Guard ballista. Sadly, another feat failed...

To their shame, the Mythic Order ranged units on the floating platform are only to make one kill this turn :shock: . The magisters will not be pleased by such numbers...

As a result, Ragnel, the hero on the murderbeast, gives a grim nod to the Mythic Order ballista crew. They load up a massive bolt and launch it into the floating platform!

All four of the MO units on top, as well as four Dragon Guard soldiers, are crushed under the colossal weight. Two more Dragon Guard are trapped underneath drowning (I believe one will eventually swim out).

Another shot of the carnage.

While dragon guard dual-wielders look on in disbelief, feeling quite lucky that they had hopped the bridge instead of swimming!

A grimfang soldier is bolted.

And the halberdier makes short work of the other grimfang. Somewhere across the battlefield, Darius smirks under his golden helm.

Another archer or two are taken out by Mythic Order Rangers.

Back on the left flank, more carnage is ensuing. Shots from bows and crossbows are being fired left and right.

In the upperleft corner, the dismounted dragon rider is successfully wasted. Another dragon rider finds himself in the middle of an assault, and a lone swordsman crosses blades with a peachy elf.

The dismounted Mythic Order knight smacks a spearman with his hammer.

Carnage overviews at the bottom of Turn 2.

Which is also the time when...

Trollface appears!

Trollface, singing his iconic song, dunks a couple of fire blades in the water and crushes one into ABS bits.

Dragon Guard

"If I cannot have a hammer, then I will have the sword!" Frescka wings her griffon into the skies in an attempt to barrel down the sword's guardian. I think the charge damage was ok, but the Guardian's defense roll (including some supernatural input) was unreal!

"Get those monstrosities!" With a warcry, the dual-wielders leap into the fray, dodging through the stone field in order to put the pain to the werewolf berserkers.

A well-placed ballista shot takes care of a few Mythic Order infantry.

Meanwhile, attacks are being flubbed on the left. Archers so ineffectually shoot at an outrider that he catches one of the arrows in his hand.

Two Dragon Knights charge in only to whiff their attacks and damage.

A peachy elf, however, slices a swordsman in half.

And the second ballista takes out another Warg Outrider.

"Victory will not escape our grasp!" Darius can sense the trouble his troops are having beyond the stone wall on the left flank. He hefts his glistening lance and throws in an attempt to pierce the wall and pin an adversary on the other side. His aim goes awry, however, and the only thing now pinned to the wall is a Dragon Guard spearman. Darius simply shrugs...

The Guardian

In the skies, the Guardian retaliates and puts a wound on the griffon.
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Re: August 4 Brikwar @ Brickfair: Guard vs Order, Round 2

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 am

Turn 3

Mythic Order

"Confound these inaccurate daggers!" Gestalt leaps onto a pillar and lets loose with another flurry of blades.

These blades hit true, however, and the harness straps keeping Frescka on the griffon are undone. She careens into the waterfall.

I don't remember if it was the Mythic Order ballista or combined fire from rangers, but something does massive damage to the Dragon Guard Ballista.

Werewolves engage the dual-wielders, and their are more casualties on both sides.

Shifting back to the left flank (with the lights in the convention center finally coming back on...), a MO halberd slices a dragon rider.

A Mythic Order spearman also plays peek-a-boo around the wall corner with the Dragon Guard spear champion (demon helm). The Dragon Guard actually slays the other one (which you cannot really tell from this angle).

Nevertheless, another MO Halberdier shuffles over and dispatches the spearman.

A surviving skeletonized Paladin from the previous battle makes short work of another spearman.

The warg outrider takes down another archer.

While cavalry begin to play a zig-zaggy chess game of charge, counter charge against each other.

"DARIUS!!!!" A Mythic Order knight, knowing the prowess of the Dragon Guard leader, issues a vocal challenge, clears a lane, and gallops forward...

:shock:

:cry: ...Two iconic heroes in one trip... :cry:

Trollface

:troll:

Dragon Guard

Frescka submerges herself into the river, seeking some underwater passage that might bring her closer to the enemy. But the Guardian will have none of that!

She is whisked to the top of the waterfall for a duel!

On the right flank, spearmen have finally made it across the river and things are going poorly for the werewolf berserkers!

Fireblades are also making it across, and two dragon knights have galloped this far to offer heavy support.

The Guardian

Ploop. There goes a duel. Frescka is kicked into a swirling vortex of magic! The ambient energies zap her into some unknown dimension.

Turn 4 (actually, I'm not sure what turn it is...I could have sworn both Lord Mercat and I had finished 4 turns before this point...maybe I lost some photos...)

Mythic Order

GRAAAAGHHH!

This is what you've wanted to see all game, anyway, isn't it? Isn't it?

Carnage overviews.

Trollface

After dispatching the Mythic Order ballista, Trollface seems to have a new target, now that his adversaries are whittling each other down.

Oh, that looks pretty shiny!

A trinket most befitting of a nuisance demigod.

Cue bright lights and celestial music: as Trollface uses the power of the sword of Aurora to ascend...

As Trollface does the unthinkable, the unguessable, soldiers of the Mythic Order and Dragon Guard stand in stunned silence. The prize for which so many of them had spilt their bricks was gone. Taken by the lowliest-yet most powerful-of internet denizens. What point was there now to continue this nonsense? Shields and swords began to clatter on the battlefield as each felt a wave of futility wash over him. Save the snorts of murderbeasts and horses, the field was silent for several minutes as everything came to an extreme halt. And then someone said it...

"So, Five Guys?"

"Yeah...sure..."

THE END

The real reason we had to call the battle quits was because the hour was getting late, and I still had a 4 hour car drive back home after picking everything up. Because Mercat and I are picture snobs, this battle took longer than we both expected, and we didn't get started exactly when we wanted too (my fault :D ). We've still plans to meet up again next year with a better sense of how much time will be required for the battle.

Field assessment: For those who need tactical closure, the battle was called a draw. My left flank was sorely hurting. The loss of Hero Darius (whose redshirt needed but ONE MORE INCH) saw a general crumbling of my defense there. I still had the force of two war machines on that side, but they likely would have been overwhelmed. The right flank seemed relatively secure for the Dragon Guard. Gestalt was still alive, but I held an infantry numbers advantage there after overpowering the werewolves. So who knows which way the battle may have swung after a few turns. Granted, there were still the murderbeasts to contend with.

All the best,
Rev.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: August 4 Brikwar @ Brickfair: Round 2 [Complete]

Post by Zupponn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Bravo! :tiger:

Scratch
Reihawk

Post by Scratch » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Is it too late to say I totally called Trollface getting the sword?
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.
All you have to do is flatten his head.
Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.
Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Scratch wrote:Is it too late to say I totally called Trollface getting the sword?
:troll:

It was the only way it could have ended, really. Just like Nixon (or at least the head in a jar variant), the troll always wins.

Anyway awesome batrep rev, it came out really well!

Also on an issue of morality, I find it important to note that, while it is not shown here, all of the peachy elves were brutally murdered. There were three remaining on my final turn, and I had all available units abandon their weapons for nearby pikes and skewered them in the subsequent spear charges. As a result, the mythic order ensured that no mini figure of peach disposition left that battlefield among the ranks of the living.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.
Marriages Saved: 1

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 am

A little off topic but I assume these brikfests and conventions are where a lot of you enthusiasts get a good number of your parts

I live in Canada and it's the bumfuck nowhere side of Canada, those kinds of things were just a pipe dream to me as a kid, and I still can't go to them because I can't afford to travel, and the parts are probably expensive too

I don't like going through american customs either.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

For all of my custom needs, I usually go through brickarms, brickforge, or bricklink stores. All of those should be accessible to you? I thought brickarms and brickgforge had canadian resellers?

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 am

Kastrenzo wrote:A little off topic but I assume these brikfests and conventions are where a lot of you enthusiasts get a good number of your parts
Dead wrong. I get the vast majority of the parts I use off of internet sites- primarily bricklink, but also via custom parts vendors like brickwarriors, brickforge, brickarms, etc, and on occasion, ebay. The prices for specific parts and such that you want are cheaper via online shopping than pretty much anywhere else. In fact- more than half of the parts being sold at these conventions are overpriced, and would be advisably avoided. That is not to say that there are not good deals and the like there however, you just have to spend time looking for them. The best deals tend to come from vendors who are quite frankly, too lazy to sort through and discover exactly what they have for sale. It takes a lot of time sorting through massive bins of lego, but you can get some really good deals doing that. Actually, the reason we didn't finish this battle was because Rev was doing exactly that in order to get the pieces to fully armor his griffin- and I was diving through bins hitting up falcons, (black falcons) so we got started later than we had originally wanted.
I live in Canada and it's the bumfuck nowhere side of Canada, those kinds of things were just a pipe dream to me as a kid, and I still can't go to them because I can't afford to travel, and the parts are probably expensive too

I don't like going through american customs either.
Can't really help you there. I believe there is a Lego convention of sorts in Ontario, but if you live in the nowhere side of Canada, there isn't much you can do, and you are right to not like going through customs, it sucks. I am lucky enough to live very close to Brickfair, so I've been able to attend for a few years without having to worry about travel costs.
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Is the nowhere side of Canada north or West?
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Silverdream wrote:Is the nowhere side of Canada north or West?
Yes

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:Is the nowhere side of Canada north or West?
Yes
And South and East.

Kastrenzo

Post by Kastrenzo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:10 pm

there's not much in the east coast where I live,

even less up north, obviously.

Travelling within Canada is just as bad, I get harrassed by CBSA All the time, but at least I don't have guns pointed at me like TSA did in Newark a few years ago.
I have a very deep hatred of New Jersey now because of how incredibly rude the airport staff is, The security, the attendants, the everything.

I was only interested in the brickarms stuff because I don't have the means of getting large quantities of parts I want, I'm using PickABrick right now but their selection is limited for minifig parts. I'm resorting to taping over the chests of the bodies I ordered with black tape to cover the police man decals on them.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:35 am

Tape? What about custom decals?

I used custom decals 'cos actual black falcons are way too steep. I also like the extra detail.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm

I feel like anything would be better than a piece of tape...

Speaking of the expense of Black Falcons, Lord Mercat picked up over forty at Brickfair for $2.5 or less a piece. It was silly!

Lord Mercat
Minifig

Post by Lord Mercat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote: Speaking of the expense of Black Falcons, Lord Mercat picked up over forty at Brickfair for $2.5 or less a piece. It was silly!
Yeah that was absurd- essentially I relieved the entire event of their precious falcons. I ended up with 47 black falcons averaging $2 to $2.50 each- fully equipped w/weapons, helmets etc. It took five+ hours of digging through fig bins though, they weren't just lying around in the open. Still, it was really awesome, I've always wanted an army of black falcons.