Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 am

"At your service," I reply, executing a brief salute. "I assume you are the one called 'Mat'?"

I look around the room for Eadmund and to count the other squires I know should be there.

Are they all accounted for? If so, I will greet him warmly and tell him of my plan.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I'm not really sure what actions I can do at this point to move the story forward, but let's just assume I keep practicing until I rendezvous with Kurgen.
It's not always about moving the story forward. Roleplay can be fun even without purpose. And I thought, maybe by giving you this little riddle you have something to do while we wait for the story to reach the point where you can participate actively again.

Nebul: The spell is so easy, after some further minutes you think you could do it in your sleep. There has to be more to this if Grimbold is so focused on it. After a few more minutes you get so bored that you try to put some variation to the task. You try make the coin move in patterns, make it slow down and accelerate again. It gets a bit harder but, but it's still fairly easy. The dwarf notices and smiles approvingly.

Kurgen: The squires are all accounted for. After a warm welcome you tell them you plan to bring them to the ambassy through the lower levels and at the same time help Thorin with his task.
"That's insane. Noone goes to the lower levels. Yes, the city guard will not look for us there. But with good reason. To go there means death. And you not only want us to run through there as fast as possible, No, you want us to stay down there for days and even actively look for trouble. Count me out. I have better chances to survive if I go straight to the palace and surrender myself. There has to be another way." Mat looks at the squires for support.
The boys are intimidated and seem obviously lost.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:32 pm

"I agree, Mat, it is not an ideal situation. But I have been topside for some while now, in contact with Nebul, the embassy, and wandering all the streets between. As far as I can determine, not attempting this action is tantamount to turning yourself in." I pause to let that sink in. Mat looks a little worried but I can tell he's never going to go for it without some major convincing. But just looking at him isn't giving me the information I need to manipulate him. I just don't know him well enough to gauge his motives. I decide, in ages old Dwarven fashion, to go for the direct approach instead. "Here's the thing, Mat. I don't know you. I know some of them," I jerk a thumb back at the boys, "and some of them know me but you are new to this situation. We appreciate your help in keeping these boys safe from harm and I can personally assure you that you will be handsomely compensated for your troubles."

I turn to look at Eadmund. "You know the Dwarves, Eadmund. Thorin will be leading us." I can see realization dawn in the young squire's eyes. Thorin is renowned for his unfailing toughness and his undying loyalty. He's gruff and hard to get along with but if anyone can make sure we survive down there, it's that grizzled old bastard. And his delvers take after their leader. The boy begins to nod. The other boys still look scared and confused but they do take note of their compatriot's nearly instantaneous change of mood.

"Now," I say turning back to Mat, "you can either take your chances with us or you can rot in the King's dungeons. Either way, these boys are under my protection and not yours."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 am

Kurgen: Mat recognizes that he is loosing this debate. "Ok, fine. Tell me this plan of yours. What preparations have you made? Maybe there actually is a chance that we survive this. But don't ask me to risk my life for yours when it gets ugly."
The boys are ready to go. At least as ready as they will ever be. Are there any preparations you want to get before you meet with Thorin and descend to the city below?

Somehow I have the odd feeling we wander from the subject and loose ourselves in a sidequest. That wasn't planned.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:26 am

"I won't." In an odd way, I feel more comfortable about the newcomer now. At least I know how he'll react and I can plan accordingly. I'll leave him to the beasties if he puts us in danger though, and no mistake. But I don't tell him that. Instead, I relate the plan to the others and we set out post-haste, now that debate is out of the way. I just hope this works.

No, I already made preparations.
Quantumsurfer wrote:I ask one of the delvers about the equipment we'll need and hurry about gathering it, leaving it in my room before heading back out into the city.

knolli wrote:Somehow I have the odd feeling we wander from the subject and loose ourselves in a sidequest. That wasn't planned.
That's up to you, man. If I were DMing and this were a IRL game, I would absolutely run the city depths as a session or two. But this is a forum game and there are no "sessions." Maybe it would be best to simply describe the experience narratively, keep the options extremely limited (like, maybe allow one or two choices down there instead of the freeform roleplay we've been doing topside), and really show how harrowing the experience is. We've already made the decision to go below so now we have to deal with the consequences. Allowing one or two story forks down there can still allow us to have a hand in how we deal with it and how the story plays out without the game getting overrun with the sidequest for the next two months. Your choice.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

^ I second the motion ^

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 am

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, I know and I'm sorry. RL had me occupied and now I'm just not in the mood. And to tell the truth I'm kind of out of ideas. What terrors will you meet down in the catacombs? Zombies, skaven, goblins? That's all so ordinary. But to make you meet a faceless danger is just as bland.
What do you as players expect (or rather hope/wish) to find?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:32 am

It's alright. I understand.

I'm sorry to hear you're out of ideas. I've been enjoying this. If it might help, you could skip over the deep dark part and pick up the original story however you like.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:29 pm

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 am

Kurgen: You meet one of Thorin's delvers in the backyard of a seemingly normal building only a few steets away from where you met the squires. You got there without any trouble, but you feel the anxiety disappear as the last young man stept inside.
"Ah, right on time. Good to see you. Call me Gerbrax. Come help me unload this stuff."
He grabs a big backpack and a barrel from a cart next to the backdoor and moves inside. The cart is full of supplies. lamps and petrol, torches, blankets, crossbow bolts, rations and beer, rope and small but heavy barrels with the rune of the mechanic's guild painted of the side.
"Be carefull with that. These things are expensive." Gerbrax motions you to follow him down to the basement and through a trapdoor into the sewers. He lightens his lantern and waits until all are present.
"Here's the plan: We bring the supplies to the outpost. There we meet Thorin. Maybe he will send you back right away. The road should be clear, but stay alert nevertheless. And stay together. I will not go searching for anyone stupid enough to go roaming on his own."
You follow him through the moist darkness. The stonefloor is slick and small streams of sewage cross your path. The stench of human filth threatens to make you gag. Three times he motions you to stop and wait in silence before you move on again. Only one time you hear the faint noises of other people echo down the tunnel.
When he stops for the fourth time he grabs a big stone in the wall to your right and pulls it free as if it weighted nothing. On second glance it is no real stone at all but a clever fake to mask the entrance.
"Wellcome to the second level"

To be continued...