Wargame: AirLand Battle-inspired version of Brikwars

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Wargame: AirLand Battle-inspired version of Brikwars

Post by AZKAMAT » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Beforehand Note: I designed these rules for use in Brikwars after playing the RTS PC game Wargame: AirLand Battle. The game uses similar concepts as to what I describe below, particularly with the reinforcement system and victory conditions. So I suppose I owe them credit. The game is slow paced, and I expect not evrybody will enjoy as much as I have. If you are looking to spend just an hour or so on a game, this stuff is not for you. However, if you enjoy building large armies but can't seem to enjoy them all in battle, this mode may suit you better.

Game Concepts

The game plays like regular Brikwars except the way to win is to be the first army to get a pre-set number of Kill Points. You get Kill Points by destroying enemy units, with the amount of points awarded determined by how many points the enemy spent to deploy it. You cannot get kill points for destroying anything that you paid for (exceptions will be discussed later.)
At the beginning of the battle both Federalist and Nationalist armies will be allotted a fixed amount of CP to spend on their starting units which will be deployed in a large set starting zone, much like regular Brikwars. Any remainder goes into your Bank Account, to be spent later.

Earning and Spending CP In-Game

At the start of each of their respective turns, each faction will be awarded additional CP based upon the Command Zones they control. Different Command Zones provide different amounts of CP. Some are high, some are low, but most should give moderate income. In order to control a given Command Zone, a faction must keep any creature with the trait Leadership inside of it. Said leader must use an action to Take Charge of the zone, and on the following turn the newly acquired Command Zone will start providing income. The Take Charge action need not be redone every turn unless the leader exits the command zone. Players must agree before the commencement of battle how they will define a Command Zone’s limits. Computer paper, string, or distance radius limits around a strategic object could all effectively represent the boundaries of a Command Zone.

In order to spend CP and receive Reinforcements in-game, a faction MUST have access to a Command Zone that has an Approach Vector. An Approach Vector is an EXACT spot where all new troops bought after initial deployment enter the battlefield. So no; you cannot simply plop a squad of SS Guards into the middle of a group of Untermenschen. Approach Vectors should generally be on the edge of a battlefield but theoretically they could be anywhere, such as if you controlled a railway tunnel, or maybe even a spaceport.

Reinforcements can ONLY be purchased at the beginning of a faction’s turn after they have collected their CP income for that turn from their Command Zones. The reinforcements themselves may be brought onto the field from an Approach Vector at any time during their owner’s turn.
Update 11/4/2013: The purchasing phase is not considered a part of one's actual turn, so their opponents MAY NOT undertake field konstruction projects until the player whose turn about to start has finalized their purchases.
So basically, you get money at the start of each turn which you can spend on extra troops, trucks, droids, whatever, but you have to have them start on one of these Approach Vectors, so getting them into position can be tricky if your newest guys start right in the middle of the enemy’s field of fire with little cover.

Remember that this mode of the game isn’t about total destruction of the enemy force; it’s about accumulating Kill Points. You blow up a truck, that’s fine; you get an amount of KP equal to how much CP the enemy spent on said truck. It gets tricky in cases of Equipment-Swapping by infantry and Commandeering of opposite-side vehicles. I hereby rule that it works this here way: If you kill a man worth 4 CP and he’s carrying 8 CP worth of stuff, you get 12 KP regardless of whether that man started out with all of that gear or with none of it. It should go without saying that having your troops dump all their stuff if you fear death is likely IS OBSCENELY POOR FORM AND WILL BE LOOKED DOWN UPON. For vehicles, if you kill the entire crew of my APC but then load it up with your own personnel to pilot it, it comes under Your Control and No Longer Under Mine. Therefore, if I blow up my own APC that I paid for AFTER you’ve Commandeered it, then I will be the recipient of the vehicle’s KP value.
It would most likely be a good idea to keep scratch paper on hand to keep track of both sides’ CP Bank Account and KP Score.

UPDATE 8/4/13: I hereby instate new guidelines regarding loot in these new AirLand Battle style games. The basic concept is that troops in the field secure pre-existent valuables, either gold, jewels, or gems, for a one-time lump sum of additional CP. During original tests, troops had to find and then bring loot items back to their team’s original Command Zone, but said testing showed this to be too ponderous; getting loot back to base took far too much time and resources to be practical. Having two men jointly haul a treasure chest weakened the frontlines too much to be worth it. So now I rule that troops must merely get ahold of loot in order for their team to get the income bonus. The loot item is then removed from play permanently.

Thank you for reading this this bonus material I created; I hope that if you try to implement them that it enhances your fun, and if you post a report on battle inspired by what I've written down, some credit would be great. Comments and criticism welcome.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Re: Wargame: AirLand Battle-inspired version of Brikwars

Post by Maverick » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:24 am

Brikthulhu can not be killed. Maybe by piltogg. But not in a wargame inspired lesser brikwar.

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:03 pm

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:
Maverick wrote:Brikthulhu can not be killed. Maybe by piltogg. But not in a wargame inspired lesser brikwar.
I mean it half jokingly(that why it "20" command points, and killing a hero is "2" command points, because if you can kill brikthulhu, your a god). also i know a thing or two about eldritch horrors, my profile picture is of lovecraft, who created "the call of cthulhu", and all the other elder thingz.
:) Then you're right. If you kill Brikthulhu you're a god. PS why is H. P. Lovecraft so skinny?

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Anything can be killed with a big enough gun. Even things we can't comprehend.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 am

Silverdream wrote:Anything can be killed with a big enough gun. Even things we can't comprehend.
So i can kill shortened words? Yay!
EDIT: I just realized what a brilliant idea that is. I am going to build a giant Gun to destroy shortened words.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:i mean, there "shortened", meaning"hard to hit"
:fist:
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Post by Brikguy0410 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm

AZKAMAT wrote:Beforehand Note: I designed these rules for use in Brikwars after playing the RTS PC game Wargame: AirLand Battle. The game uses similar concepts as to what I describe below, particularly with the reinforcement system and victory conditions. So I suppose I owe them credit. The game is slow paced, and I expect not evrybody will enjoy as much as I have. If you are looking to spend just an hour or so on a game, this stuff is not for you. However, if you enjoy building large armies but can't seem to enjoy them all in battle, this mode may suit you better.

Game Concepts

The game plays like regular Brikwars except the way to win is to be the first army to get a pre-set number of Kill Points. You get Kill Points by destroying enemy units, with the amount of points awarded determined by how many points the enemy spent to deploy it. You cannot get kill points for destroying anything that you paid for (exceptions will be discussed later.)
At the beginning of the battle both Federalist and Nationalist armies will be allotted a fixed amount of CP to spend on their starting units which will be deployed in a large set starting zone, much like regular Brikwars. Any remainder goes into your Bank Account, to be spent later.

Earning and Spending CP In-Game

At the start of each of their respective turns, each faction will be awarded additional CP based upon the Command Zones they control. Different Command Zones provide different amounts of CP. Some are high, some are low, but most should give moderate income. In order to control a given Command Zone, a faction must keep any creature with the trait Leadership inside of it. Said leader must use an action to Take Charge of the zone, and on the following turn the newly acquired Command Zone will start providing income. The Take Charge action need not be redone every turn unless the leader exits the command zone. Players must agree before the commencement of battle how they will define a Command Zone’s limits. Computer paper, string, or distance radius limits around a strategic object could all effectively represent the boundaries of a Command Zone.

In order to spend CP and receive Reinforcements in-game, a faction MUST have access to a Command Zone that has an Approach Vector. An Approach Vector is an EXACT spot where all new troops bought after initial deployment enter the battlefield. So no; you cannot simply plop a squad of SS Guards into the middle of a group of Untermenschen. Approach Vectors should generally be on the edge of a battlefield but theoretically they could be anywhere, such as if you controlled a railway tunnel, or maybe even a spaceport.

Reinforcements can ONLY be purchased at the beginning of a faction’s turn after they have collected their CP income for that turn from their Command Zones. The reinforcements themselves may be brought onto the field from an Approach Vector at any time during their owner’s turn.
Update 11/4/2013: The purchasing phase is not considered a part of one's actual turn, so their opponents MAY NOT undertake field konstruction projects until the player whose turn about to start has finalized their purchases.
So basically, you get money at the start of each turn which you can spend on extra troops, trucks, droids, whatever, but you have to have them start on one of these Approach Vectors, so getting them into position can be tricky if your newest guys start right in the middle of the enemy’s field of fire with little cover.

Remember that this mode of the game isn’t about total destruction of the enemy force; it’s about accumulating Kill Points. You blow up a truck, that’s fine; you get an amount of KP equal to how much CP the enemy spent on said truck. It gets tricky in cases of Equipment-Swapping by infantry and Commandeering of opposite-side vehicles. I hereby rule that it works this here way: If you kill a man worth 4 CP and he’s carrying 8 CP worth of stuff, you get 12 KP regardless of whether that man started out with all of that gear or with none of it. It should go without saying that having your troops dump all their stuff if you fear death is likely IS OBSCENELY POOR FORM AND WILL BE LOOKED DOWN UPON. For vehicles, if you kill the entire crew of my APC but then load it up with your own personnel to pilot it, it comes under Your Control and No Longer Under Mine. Therefore, if I blow up my own APC that I paid for AFTER you’ve Commandeered it, then I will be the recipient of the vehicle’s KP value.
It would most likely be a good idea to keep scratch paper on hand to keep track of both sides’ CP Bank Account and KP Score.

UPDATE 8/4/13: I hereby instate new guidelines regarding loot in these new AirLand Battle style games. The basic concept is that troops in the field secure pre-existent valuables, either gold, jewels, or gems, for a one-time lump sum of additional CP. During original tests, troops had to find and then bring loot items back to their team’s original Command Zone, but said testing showed this to be too ponderous; getting loot back to base took far too much time and resources to be practical. Having two men jointly haul a treasure chest weakened the frontlines too much to be worth it. So now I rule that troops must merely get ahold of loot in order for their team to get the income bonus. The loot item is then removed from play permanently.

Thank you for reading this this bonus material I created; I hope that if you try to implement them that it enhances your fun, and if you post a report on battle inspired by what I've written down, some credit would be great. Comments and criticism welcome.
:tiger: