Navel combat

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Navel combat

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm not talking about space battles, I'm referring to a good old battle on the high seas, brikwars is lacking rules for navel combat and ships, I'm trying to think up some rules for things like boarding and what not, as well as things like ships rolling over and sinking, ideas?

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: Navel combat

Post by Tzan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

My army is ready.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't know if this will work well, my belly button cannot fit much Lego.

Edit: Fucking Tzan beat me to it.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

DeltaV
Officer

Post by DeltaV » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 pm

It should work like microspace. Just add microwater.
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm

There totally are rules for naval combat. I'll break em down:

First of all, the thrust mechanic is a really cool way to determine wind direction for sailing ships, or current direction if you decide one exists. See the rulebook for details.

Second, Boarding is as easy as just parking next to another ship and laying down a gangplank. Swinging over Errol-Flynn style with a grappling hook is pretty much just a ranged attack vs. a mast or something. See the rulebook for details.

Third, rolling ships over is actually covered under the charge rules. If a ship is forcibly moved sideways (from ramming, a strong current, etc.) further than it is wide (or frontways than it is long), then it's disrupted and tilts to it's side. if knocked twice this distance, then it capsizes entirely. See the rulebook for details.

As for actual sinking, that's about all that's not covered. I would say it's safe to assume take a number of turns to sink equal to their size in inches, or you could say that half of the remaining ship goes under in any given turn. A ship tilted on it's side would have minifigs risk being thrown overboard without necessarily sinking, but a capsized ship would sink assuredly. Knocking a hole in the hull with component damage would also initiate sinking.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Tzan wrote:My army is ready.

Silverdream wrote:I don't know if this will work well, my belly button cannot fit much Lego.

Edit: Fucking Tzan beat me to it.
DeltaV wrote:It should work like microspace. Just add microwater.
All of my reactions, all perfectly posted before I got here. I love you guys.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 am

Colette wrote:Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.
Exactly. Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything. Stmpnk also had the wargamer problem. He wanted rules for everything. And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk. And i'm pretty sure you won't use naval with your insanely huge army.

DeltaV
Officer

Post by DeltaV » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 am

Maverick wrote:
Colette wrote:Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.
Exactly. Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything. Stmpnk also had the wargamer problem. He wanted rules for everything. And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk. And i'm pretty sure you won't use naval with your insanely huge army.
This, pretty much. If you need to board, maneuver your ship in range and slap a plank between the two. Don't bother with residual thrust speed and inertia, as it is generally accepted that if Physics and Awesome are two possible outcomes of an action, Physics can go and get bent. If you want to flip the boat over, then do so after the boat has taken an amount of damage that makes it seem likely it would turn over. If you want the boat to sink, then take the boat away, put the mast down, and make silly bubbling noises.

The only mandatory rule for naval battles, in my opinion, would have to be that all metal music normally played during Brikwars is replaced with pirate metal.
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 am

Maverick wrote:And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk.
I like this! I've used Anorak to describe the same thing, but this is still pretty different from anoraking, and stmpnk fits so much better thematically.

Maverick
OLIOLIOOOOO
OLIOLIOOOOO

Post by Maverick » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Maverick wrote:And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk.
I like this! I've used Anorak to describe the same thing, but this is still pretty different from anoraking, and stmpnk fits so much better thematically.
Thanks! If we'll keep on saying it, it might get into a rulebook. Just like anorak.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 pm

It's just like regular combat, but with boats.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Maverick wrote:Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything.
BrikWars already had the version with rules for almost everything. http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-brikwars.pdf
DeltaV wrote:This, pretty much. If you need to board, maneuver your ship in range and slap a plank between the two. Don't bother with residual thrust speed and inertia, as it is generally accepted that if Physics and Awesome are two possible outcomes of an action, Physics can go and get bent. If you want to flip the boat over, then do so after the boat has taken an amount of damage that makes it seem likely it would turn over. If you want the boat to sink, then take the boat away, put the mast down, and make silly bubbling noises.
Different people have different ideas of what is awesome, so it's nice that you can adjust this on the fly. Personally, I think slapping a plank between the two ships and only finding out a turn later that the ships are going to smash into each other and squish anyone in between is pretty awesome by itself.
DeltaV wrote:The only mandatory rule for naval battles, in my opinion, would have to be that all metal music normally played during Brikwars is replaced with pirate metal.
I think we can all agree on this (and keelhaul anyone who doesn't).
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Ahoy mateys, let us contemplate our navels.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

Phred
Nice Dubs

Post by Phred » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

IVhorseman wrote:There totally are rules for naval combat. I'll break em down:
Thank you for the break down IVhorseman. They're very helpful.
IVhorseman wrote:First of all, the thrust mechanic is a really cool way to determine wind direction for sailing ships, or current direction if you decide one exists. See the rulebook for details.
Is the 2001 or 2005 rulebook being utilized for this break down?
IVhorseman wrote: As for actual sinking, that's about all that's not covered. I would say it's safe to assume take a number of turns to sink equal to their size in inches, or you could say that half of the remaining ship goes under in any given turn. A ship tilted on it's side would have minifigs risk being thrown overboard without necessarily sinking, but a capsized ship would sink assuredly. Knocking a hole in the hull with component damage would also initiate sinking.
If it's a small leak, then on-board vessel pumps would be able to keep the vessel from sinking. I would say the hole should be larger before the vessel starts to sink, and ship sinks faster as the hole gets larger. In the Age of Sail, vessels very rarely sank during a battle. Cannon rounds typically skipped the top of the water and strike a vessel typically above the waterline or sometimes at the waterline. If they were damaged beyond repair, or sinking too rapidly, then they were emptied of their booty, crew, and guns to be sunk. Sinking of other ships didn't occur often until right before WWI or during WWI with the beginning of the dreadnought era.

I am pretty ignorant of the Brikwar rules, so this may already be implemented.
A thing to consider is that most hand weapons don't do any damage to a large dreadnought or ship-of-the-line. You could spend all day spaying a hull with rounds, and the ship itself won't be affected.
Pirates don't hunt for treasure. They bury it- I mean we bury it. - Captain Kirk