Faction preview: Frangerian Protectorate

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Faction preview: Frangerian Protectorate

Post by Battlegrinder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I’ve been talking about the army I’m building for a little while, and I’d like present the bits of it I’ve already assembled (and I hope you like them a lot, because they’re going to be all I’ve got until I manage to get another job, which is proving to be a challenge in this economy. Thanks a lot, Obama/Bush/Jews/Illuminati/Space Lizards). Faction backstory is still under construction, but I’ve at least got a name. Behold, the military might of the Frangerian Protectorate (what meager bits of it I’m able to present, anyways).

This is my squad of Orc CC troops, who I’ve equipped with a hand weapon in place of a shield, since that seemed the more orcish path (I think they’d technically be closer to hobgoblins then orcs, given their training, discipline, ect, but it’s my army, and I say they’re orcs). They’re the strongest CC unit in my army, and I’m working on giving them some custom stats to buff up their combat power a little bit.

Next we have these five troopers, who are going to be some kind of special ops unit. Somebody recently came up with a rule for this kind of A-team style squad, and as soon as I remember where the hell it is, I’ll probably end up using some version of that rule with these guys.

These two guys are buffed up officers (you may have seen them before). I’m not sure exactly what I’ll end up doing with them, but I’ll figure it out. Right now, I’m thinking they’ll get attached to whatever squad is getting tossed into the meat grinder to add a little more punch to the assault.

And finally, we have the current version of my cavalry, the motor knight. I’m still working on the lances, since the standard Lego ones are a little plain and a little short. I’ll probably end up building some kind of custom model like Lord Mercat did. I’ve also been tinkering with the idea of building some timed explosive charges to attach to the ends of the lances, so the knights have some extra anti-armor capability.

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Re: Faction preview: Frangerian Protectorate

Post by loafofcheese » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Nice, I like the armoured soldiers and the 5 man squad the most.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Minifigs can use up to a 2" long weapon as a lance, which conveniently places them exactly outside of the range of a 1d10 explosion... Nice!

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:16 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Minifigs can use up to a 2" long weapon as a lance, which conveniently places them exactly outside of the range of a 1d10 explosion... Nice!
What I was thinking of having the explosives be attachable timed charges, so they knights would charge in, hit the target with the lances (and attach the bombs in the process), then next round they bug out and the charges go off. But now that you bring it up, your idea might be better, provided the bomb doesn't break the lances and the bikes are out of range of the bombs.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:21 am

Those orcs look awesome. I see BrickWarriors in there I think... good call, I love that stuff.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:Minifigs can use up to a 2" long weapon as a lance, which conveniently places them exactly outside of the range of a 1d10 explosion... Nice!
What I was thinking of having the explosives be attachable timed charges, so they knights would charge in, hit the target with the lances (and attach the bombs in the process), then next round they bug out and the charges go off. But now that you bring it up, your idea might be better, provided the bomb doesn't break the lances and the bikes are out of range of the bombs.
Oh the lances will definitely break and the bomb will hit the bike, but that's why you have the riders jump off anyways and whip out the shortswords.

I mean I guess attaching remotely detonated explosives works too, but that's definitely how I'd handle it.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
Oh the lances will definitely break and the bomb will hit the bike, but that's why you have the riders jump off anyways and whip out the shortswords.

I mean I guess attaching remotely detonated explosives works too, but that's definitely how I'd handle it.

I don't want to try a build a weapon that has a good chance of taking out the bikes/lances, since using my expensive and hard hitting cavalry as suicide units would be a huge waste of points (and I believe Rev. Sylvanus and Zahru II have both demonstrated exactly how vulnerable dismounted knights are). Maybe I could work up some rules for shaped charges.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Dismounted armored knights maybe. Dismounted light-cavalry should already be used for bum-rushing, so anyone that survives the initial wave long enough to start hacking away at wheels, leg joints, and treads is already worth their weight in CP. Seeing as yours is armored however, you probably want to emphasize survivability of the bike.

We already had a couple threads about shaped charges, and I think the general consensus was that it wasn't worth the hassle. You'd want a d8 pointing a cone of damage in the right direction - from a successful charge attack, you're pumping out at least 3d6 + 1d8 damage in this case from combined lance/shaped charge damage.

A remote explosive, on the other hand, will see the 3d6 go off on the turn of impact, followed by Xd10 on the turn you detonate the size X explosive that got attached.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:10 pm

I'll try to look into the math and see how much benefit the extra damage would really get me, but even if its not the most efficient weapon ever made, it's still cool enough to be worth building. I'm currently leaning more towards the shaped charges, since I'd really only need to use the explosive lances against heavily armored targets, and against something like that it would probably be best to take it out as fast as possible, and their might be too much armor for the timed charges to do any damage anyway.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Remember that shielding negates one damage die of each type, so whichever choice involves multiples of the same kinds of dice will do best.