The Democratic Kakistocracy of Buncombe

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Coriolanus
Hero

The Democratic Kakistocracy of Buncombe

Post by Coriolanus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:49 pm

The Democratic Kakistocracy of Buncombe. (D.K.B.)
[The definitions of the words are important. Democratic: of or pertaining to democracy, rule of the many, Kakistocracy: rule of the worst members of a society, Buncombe: originally a county in North Carolina, became origin of the words bunk, bunkum, etc. (nonsense) because of the bunk spewed out by their politicians.]
The planet of Buncombe, located in a middle-outer solar system of the Brikverse, (although the Buncombians like to think of themselves as outer-middle) has for the past few centuries been united under the three-fold principles of Liberty, Fraternity, and Equality embodied in the Democratic Kakistocracy. Because of the incentive structure created by the democratic process, the very worst persons (although the best politicians) always rise to power. Buncombe is governed by a parliament, currently with 837 members, and a separately elected executive, the Chief Citizen.
The current Chief Citizen is Arnold Kirkson, a hard-blank-area-between-the-eyes-and-above-the-mouth politician famous for his rousing speeches and hopes of inter-galactic fame and glory.
The most important members of his cabinet: on the left, Hiram O'Angus, the Minister of Defense, and the Sullivan Buckborne, the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Lasting power however, lies with the various special-interest groups who are in the advantageous position of having the politicians curry their favor behind the scenes in exchange for campaign donations. These special-interest groups are led by a shadowy group of businessmen and union bosses. Few are aware of who they are, although their names occasionally appear on foreign spies’ reports and tax returns. As far as foreign politics are concerned, the two most important groups are the Armament Deterrent Manufacturing Conglomerate (ADMC) headed (nominally at least, until he falls into disfavor with either the public or “the committee”) by Thyssen Krupp:
Shown here with the director of R&D at ADMC, Adolfstein VonRindindorff
And also the Forceful Disincentive Systems Operators Union (FDSOU) [i.e. the soldiers union] headed (also nominally, until she falls into disfavor with either the public or “the other committee” which some suspect to be the same as “the committee,” although they are mere rumors and have never been confirmed) by Helen Nestor.
To distract attention from domestic issues and to increase the prestige of the government (and also to prop up the armaments industry and provide employment for the “forceful disincentive systems operators”), the DKB has recently began an aggressive program of colonization and expansion beyond their own star system, having previously established colonies on several planets within their system. To support these new colonies and enable further territorial expansion, the Buncombian military has been enlarged and has undergone several phases of reorganization. The result of these actions is the Buncombian military as it stands today.

The Buncombian Star Fleet (B.S.F.)
Led by Admiral Hitchcroft, I haven't finished any ships yet, but they will be coming.

Buncombian Marine Corps (B.M.C.)
Commanded by Colonel Roger VanReindlersma, who lost his left hand to a enemy chainsaw and replaced it with a gold-plated buzzsaw. If at this point you are wondering what those feet belong too...
...they belong to this, the Marine At no time Yielding Heavy Enemy Massacreer (M.A.Y.H.E.M.)
Closer view of the 10" gatling gun.
Closer view of the shoulders and flame-thrower turret. I'm not extremely happy with how the turret turned out (with the exception of the flamer itself) so I'm open to suggestions of how to improve it.

Kakistocratic Buncombian Army (K.B.A.)

The High Command
In the center is Grand Marshal George Rothfield, commander of all Buncombian armed forces, on the left is General Patrick Eastman, and on the right is Marshal Rudolf Brugger.

Infantry
Absolutely Normal Ordinance DElivery Soldiers (ANODES) [a.k.a. line infantry]

Completely Autonomous Though not very Helpful Ordinance DElivery Systems. CATHODES
When these were originally introduced, there was immense resistance from the FDSOU who were worried that if the production of dead enemies was automated, they would become unemployed. After much political wrangling, (read: the ADMC and the FDSOU both giving loads of money to politicians)
A compromise was reached where the ADMC would make the robots unintelligent and destructible enough that the soldier’s jobs would not be in danger. This had the added benefit for the ADMC that the military would need more of an easily destroyed robot than a sturdy one.

Buncombian Commandos
When a trooper is hard-working and exceeds his quota of enemy kills, he is disciplined by the union for his selfish action. If he persists with his work ethic despite increasing severity of corrective measures, he is sent to the commando school where he receives extra training, armor, and a snazzy OT laser rifle. The rigorous selection process results in only the best becoming commandos, however, because they are despised by the other regular troops for being un-egalitarian, they always wear an opaque silver mask to hide their identities. In blue is the commando commander, Lieutenant Bill Worthsman, who does not hide his identity because of his massive ego and confidence in his ability to defend himself at all times.

Aquatic special forces

Heavy flame-thrower troopers

Light recon infantry. They have 7" move, 5" ropes, and can climb with no penalty.

Medikal Korpse, with Chief Surgeon Dr. Jean DePaule

Heavy armored machine gun troopers.

Although not technically part of the army, the assassins occasionally show up on the battlefield. Aside from the Master Assassin Nikola Kyrgitsky, all the assassins are little girls due to their small size, flexibility, lack of susceptibility, and general love of killing people.

Group picture. I did not add pictures of the vehicles because they are already on separate threads.

Another Overwatch.

Liberty! Fraternity! Equality! Long Live the Kaksitocracy!
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Re: The Democratic Kakistocracy of Buncombe

Post by Silent-sigfig » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:37 pm

I normally complain about armies that aren't very "coordinated".

Not this one.

The only thing that would make it more brikwarsy is joking about the master assassin being a pedophile,
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:16 am

That mech is ridiculously cool.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:56 am

My favorite are definitely the Heavy Flamethrower troops. They look pretty metal.

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks. The lack of uniformity was kind of by necessity, most of my figs are medieval or modern, but I tried to get them as standard as possible. (i.e. dark grey for marines, blue/red/black dominate colors for just about everyone else)

I think the Heavy Flamethrowers are my favorite too. When I saw the welder figs in one of the recent minifig series, I knew it was time for some rampaging pyromaniacal action.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 pm

I like the uniform-within-thier-own-squad theme you have going on, it looks nice. The mix of leg elements and 3rd party customs is also nice, a lot of people (myself included) have trouble resisting the urge to go overboard with custom stuff.

Am I the only one who thinks Buckborne left a promising 70 era pr0n career behind to pursue politics?

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Post by motorhead fan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:46 pm

i like these guys, they are very cool.

P.S. i find this recent flurry of massive mechs very annoying cos i don't have the bricks to make a Dalek version

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:01 pm

This looks very Brikwars to me.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

R4m3N
Hero

Post by R4m3N » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 am

The B.M.C soldiers look really cool :P

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:22 am

Dat mech! :666:

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Sorry for the :necro: but this is gonna happen a bit whilst I get caught up on the Armory.

Just wanted to say, first impression of Mech was, "Eh a bit dull" but then realized that if I saw that fucker walking down the street, even just not attacking, I'd be scared out of my shit. It's creepy and cool mate.