Use Penalty for Attacking Fast Targets

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Use Penalty for Attacking Fast Targets

Post by AZKAMAT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

I've been wondering; is it still official to have an attacker suffer a penalty of -1 to skill for every 6" his target is moving at? Has that been changed? I've been looking around the forums, and I saw some talk that suggested that the 2005 rules I'm used to about this are no longer official.

Has it been completely abolished or is it now fixed to the speed written on a stat card? As in, a vehicle with a speed of 13" would always have its attackers suffer a -2 use penalty even if it only moved 8 inches its last turn.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Use Penalty for Attacking Fast Targets

Post by stubby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I've pulled the moving target rules for review, since keeping track of how fast every separate object on the field was moving on the previous turn was too much mental overhead for a relatively insignificant -1 or -2 modifier. I might add something back in later based on the objects' top speeds - like if you moved at all and your Move is 10" then it's just assumed you're moving at 10", regardless of the actual distance traveled, or Sprinting automatically grants a -1 to hit regardless of Move, or something along those lines.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm

stubby wrote:I might add something back in later based on the objects' top speeds - like if you moved at all and your Move is 10" then it's just assumed you're moving at 10", regardless of the actual distance traveled, or Sprinting automatically grants a -1 to hit regardless of Move, or something along those lines.
That sounds reasonable. I'd like to keep something in the rules that encourages dogfighting and maneuvering instead of just moving your vehicles towards the enemy and shooting them.

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm

stubby wrote:I might add something back in later based on the objects' top speeds - like if you moved at all and your Move is 10" then it's just assumed you're moving at 10", regardless of the actual distance traveled, or Sprinting automatically grants a -1 to hit regardless of Move, or something along those lines.
I thought about this, and the only issue I really have with it is; what if I have something with a really high maximum move, but I only need to move it a little bit to get it into a firing position, then would I have to suffer the full penalty?
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:49 am

That's why I like moving the penalty to Sprinting; Sprinting eats your Action so you don't get to fire in any case. The -1 would be for anyone trying to hit you.

I would also apply it to any Stunt Driving maneuvers from a Pilot. Sprinting and Stunt Driving are unpredictable moves that make you just a little bit harder to target.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Well this is cool. I use a lot of hover tanks that move in the 8-12 inch range, and accuracy on their size 3 and 4 guns is always a problem.

Stunt driving, is that like if I had a hover tank come around the corner of a building and make a hard right turn to make his forward machine gun be facing down the street?