Plastik Armory: Better Guns, Awesome Abilites

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Thoughts?

All totally awesome, I'll be using these myself
59%
Pretty good ideas, some that I think could be better
31%
Hit and miss, lots of these don't make sense
4%
Mostly lame, some good ideas
No votes
Horrendous, confusing and unfun
6%

Total votes : 54

Re: Plastik Armory: Better Guns, Awesome Abilites

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Okay, well let's put an armor roll at six. If I roll a five, I only get to target something within one inch. That's fine. However if I roll a two, suddenly I've quadrupled my range and can choose from a slew of targets within 4".

Oh wait, hold on I think I see the miscommunication: here I'm thinking that you resolve a whole new attack against the next target, but you still use the original damage roll so that actually balances it back out (somewhat).

Still, I could see someone targeting a heavy tank or something and abusing that pretty har. Say something like 18 damage rolled vs. 31 armor: That leaves 17 damage to be dealt to any target within 13 inches, which is more than enough to slay a hero. I'd recommend adding another use roll in there if I didn't immediately forsee that as an extra step that slows the game down even further.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Gungnir » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

That was kind of the idea behind it. You bounce a shot off of something hard to hit a target around a corner. Once the shot punches through something's armor, it stops. And it was meant to be added to guns wielded by minifigs, so 18 damage would be kind of hard to pull off.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Voin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Would low-tek ranged weapons (crossbows, blowguns, thrown knives, javelins, slings, etc) be silenced by default?
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Yep! No penalty to range needed.
IVhorseman

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Another random idea that just came to mind. Might as well post it here.
Recoil isn't a thing in Brikwars, but what if there was a weapon that did nothing BUT recoil?
Instead of damaging a target, it could be used to push minifigs a number of inches. A minifig could fire behind them to propel themselves forward, or at the ground to launch themselves into the air. If it were fired at another minifig, both the user and the target would be blown back.
Alternatively, a minifig could spend their move to plant their feet on the ground and reduce their launch distance equal to their speed and transfer those inches to whatever they're aiming at.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby loafofcheese » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Gungnir wrote:Another random idea that just came to mind. Might as well post it here.
Recoil isn't a thing in Brikwars, but what if there was a weapon that did nothing BUT recoil?
Instead of damaging a target, it could be used to push minifigs a number of inches. A minifig could fire behind them to propel themselves forward, or at the ground to launch themselves into the air. If it were fired at another minifig, both the user and the target would be blown back.
Alternatively, a minifig could spend their move to plant their feet on the ground and reduce their launch distance equal to their speed and transfer those inches to whatever they're aiming at.

Stat it with SN movement dice for thrust, projected at a certain point.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Dimmy

Postby Voin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:57 am

Gungnir wrote:Another random idea that just came to mind. Might as well post it here.

Actually, Brikwars does have rules for recoil, off in a little sidebar in Chapter 8, but they're rarely used, since creations tend to have mostly proportional weapons.

2010 Rules, Chapter 8 wrote:Recoil
The recoil from firing a gun that's Too Big may cause an inch of KnockBack to the Creation for every two inches of Weapon Size (5.4: Charge!). Creations that start with guns that are Too Big are designed in such a way that the recoil will push them backwards without knocking them over, but a jury-rigged gun, or one that becomes Too Big due to Size Damage on the Creation, has the potential to upend it.

But yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of a "KnockBack Gun" for a while - something like the cool spinny sonic-shotgun from Minority Report.

I do, however, like your idea of using it as a personal thrust-based mode of transportation when you push off against inanimate objects.

loafofcheese wrote:Stat it with SN movement dice for thrust, projected at a certain point.

This is true, but SN Dice get expensive, even if you house-rule half-cost for having one specific purpose, rather than the usual broad-theme suite of potential applications.

So here's my quick-n-dirty rough draft:
KnockBack Gun (modified BlastGun stats)
Cost:(Size)x3CP
Use:(Size)+1
Range:((Size)x2)+2"
Effect:(Size)d8-distance Inches of Thrust
Notes: 1 Firing Arc, no Auto Penalty, 1" KnockBack to minifigs

So firing a 1" KnockBack Gun at a fig 3" away will result in 1d8-2" of KnockBack (taking into account the additional KnockBack inch against minifigs or smaller targets.). POPs may be used as normal to resist KnockBack, as can Steady Footing. Being thrown over 4" results in Collisions, with potential for damage, as normal.

Firing at a fixed object (typically a wall or the ground), will result in the wielder getting thrust the resultant inches in the opposite direction. Again, firing a 1" KnockBack Gun at a fixed target 3" away will result in 1d8-3" of opposing Thrust.

Bastard KnockBack Gun (modified BlastGun stats)
Cost: 4CP
Use: 3
Range: 6"
Effect:(Size)d8-distance Inches of Thrust
Notes: Two-Handed
1 Firing Arc, no Auto Penalty
1" KnockBack to minifigs or smaller

I'll let you know how playtesting turns out.

Steady Footing (+1CP)
-1" movement, but resists 1" of KnockBack. Appropriate for dwarves, heavy legionaries and other "stout" units.
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Wow, that is far more complicated than I would have statted it.

The way I see it, just treat it like any ranged weapon, except instead of doing damage it just does that many dice in knockback. If the weilder is stationary or using a weapon equal or less than their current size, they don't get knocked back half of the distance the target was.
IVhorseman

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:36 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Wow, that is far more complicated than I would have statted it.

The way I see it, just treat it like any ranged weapon, except instead of doing damage it just does that many dice in knockback. If the weilder is stationary or using a weapon equal or less than their current size, they don't get knocked back half of the distance the target was.

This. I want it to be as simple as possible.
It was originally based on the Stuntman's gun from No Time To Explain, but with the added benefit of knocking other minifigs from high places or into field hazards.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:49 am

IVhorseman wrote:Wow, that is far more complicated than I would have statted it.

Well, like I said, it is just a rough draft - there may be more streamlining after playtesting.

IVhorseman wrote:The way I see it, just treat it like any ranged weapon, except instead of doing damage it just does that many dice in knockback.

That's pretty much what I did. I took the BlastGun Stats, and in place of damage had it do that many inches of Thrust instead. The bit between the scalable version and the Bastard version is just clarification.

I suppose if you wanted to apply it to a regular gun and use a d6 instead, that could be fine too. It's just to me, using a BlastGun as the base seemed thematically appropriate (see sonic shotgun from Minority Report, above).

Gungnir wrote:knocking other minifigs from high places or into field hazards.

Like this?
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:02 am

Voin wrote:I suppose if you wanted to apply it to a regular gun and use a d6 instead, that could be fine too. It's just to me, using a BlastGun as the base seemed thematically appropriate (see sonic shotgun from Minority Report, above).

I don't like the blastgun base because of the d8 for damage. Not only are you reducing knockback the further away you're standing from the target (which is silly IMO since the goal is to just push instead of do damage), but you also get weird interactions between multiple targets within the firing cone of a d8 and a bunch of other stuff that would slow the game down too much in actual practice. If you still want to use the shotgun base then just use a shotgun base - just replace all damage with knockback inches and you're good to go. Instead of pigeonholing the weapon to fit a certain archetype, I'd much prefer to keep it as open-ended as possible to allow for stupid things like thrust-only explosives.

Koincidentially, converting damage to knockback inches probably doesn't need an associated CP cost, since you're directly trading a positive attribute (push when needed) for a negative one (no more damage).
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:09 am

"Set Phasers to blow them across the room"?

But yeah, you've got a good point - any and all damage could be freely traded in for inches of KnockBack. Heck, you could even have a KnockBack hazard field that represents trampolines or a gravitic repulsor field.

The reason I put the distance thing in is because I figured the further away you are from the surface you want to blast off of, the less reactionary force you're going to get.
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 am

Voin wrote:The reason I put the distance thing in is because I figured the further away you are from the surface you want to blast off of, the less reactionary force you're going to get.

You're not being pushed back by the ground. You're being pushed back by the projectile. The ground doesn't move because it's the feckin' ground.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Voin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:10 am

Gungnir wrote:You're not being pushed back by the ground. You're being pushed back by the projectile. The ground doesn't move because it's the feckin' ground.

It just seemed to make more sense to me to have more distance if you're right up next to a wall, than if you're 5" away from it.
Voin
Cannon Fodder

Postby loafofcheese » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:42 am

IVhorseman wrote: I'd much prefer to keep it as open-ended as possible to allow for stupid things like thrust-only explosives.

Shit, they'd be bloody useful too!
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material