Revolt of the Lingoni

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Re: Revolt of the Lingoni

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote: Im actually more Athenian than spartan, im a mix , also im polish and french, im spartan on my dads side, athenian on my moms also they still had temples, but they really only prayed to ares, the god of war,
Yeah I agree I get all my zeus-like traits from my dad but my third eye and alien language skills are definitely more from the FBI.

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Well the whole argument is really moot because I have a max of 5 hoplites, 3 of whom have gold armor and shields, and thus, considering that the Spartans did not even use gold for currency until near the end of the Peloponnesian War, are in all probability not Spartans.

I'll just call them Boeotians so that we can avoid silly, little to un-informed debates of Athens vs. Sparta.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 am

stubby wrote:Athenians and Minoans were better than Spartans in just about every way possible
Except war.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 am

Zupponn wrote:
stubby wrote:Athenians and Minoans were better than Spartans in just about every way possible
Except war.
But the context was culture, not war.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Zupponn wrote:
Except war.
Excepting sea warfare, which was strategically more important, and arguably excepting generalship, then yes.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Post by Brikguy0410 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Coriolanus wrote:
Zupponn wrote:
Except war.
Excepting sea warfare, which was strategically more important, and arguably excepting generalship, then yes.
Sea was where Athens came in to play at the battle thermopile (300) without Athens, a massive Persian fleet would of flanked the Spartans, all Greek city states except Sparta were usually at least decently versed in sea warfare, the Spartans always focused on land, on land, the Spartans were unmatched,also, they were not to some extent, the crazed berserkers the movie 300 made them out to be, the real Spartans wore far more armor than the ones in the movies, and instead of blind charges, they were a disciplined fighting force, but were brutal at the same time, they were one of the few fighting forces that managed to find the perfect balance between the two

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I can say one good thing about greek infantry, every two soldiers was a battle couple.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Thebes' Sacred Band was better at homeschooling. You should have d a p p e r soldiers that love each other, not ones that are the result of indoctrination.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:
Coriolanus wrote:
Zupponn wrote:
Except war.
Sea was where Athens came in to play at the battle thermopile (300) without Athens, a massive Persian fleet would of flanked the Spartans, all Greek city states except Sparta were usually at least decently versed in sea warfare, the Spartans always focused on land, on land, the Spartans were unmatched,also, they were not to some extent, the crazed berserkers the movie 300 made them out to be, the real Spartans wore far more armor than the ones in the movies, and instead of blind charges, they were a disciplined fighting force, but were brutal at the same time, they were one of the few fighting forces that managed to find the perfect balance between the two

This is correct on all accounts. In fact, during the early stages of the Peloponnesian the Athenian strategy was to surrender their land to Sparta and destroy the Spartans and their allies with their navy. This strategy would've worked too, if not for Athens getting wrecked by a Plague and a series of incompetent leaders after the death of Pericles.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Silent-sigfig wrote: This is correct on all accounts. In fact, during the early stages of the Peloponnesian the Athenian strategy was to surrender their land to Sparta and destroy the Spartans and their allies with their navy. This strategy would've worked too, if not for Athens getting wrecked by a Plague and a series of incompetent leaders after the death of Pericles.
The plague was bad, but Athens survived that still in good shape and I'm not sure incompetent leaders was any greater problem with the Athenians than with the Spartans.

I would lay the chief cause at Athens decision to both undertake the Sicilian expedition and to try Alcibiades for a capital crime (which caused him to defect to Sparta). Had they undertaken the Sicilian expedition but left Alcibiades in command it would at least not have failed so disastrously and perhaps even have succeeded. Had they gotten rid of Alcibiades and not gone on the Sicilian expedition, they would have lost their best commander, but they would at least have retained the militarily dominant position they had achieved with the Peace of Nicias.
By doing both, they ensured the failure of the Sicilian expedition (which was slaughtered almost to a man and destroyed their superior position) and gave the Spartans an excellent adviser (he was the one who finally got the Spartans to fortify Delium [to which Thucydides attributes a large share of the eventual Athenian defeat] and to pursue a more offensive strategy than they had dared to previously.) Even though Alcibiades double-defected back to the Athenians a few years later, the damage was done and all the best ships and the highly trained oarsmen and coxswains which had been destroyed and killed in Sicily could never be recovered.

It is interesting to note that after Alcibiades became prominent after the Peace of Nicias, he was always winning, whichever side he was on, as long as he was given authority to do what he wanted. The man was unbeatable. Lysander was not able to defeat the re-built Athenian navy until Alcibiades was removed from command; and then the defeat was a direct result of the Athenian commanders disregarding a specific warning that Alcibiades had given them as a private citizen. I imagine that when I do fill out my Greek faction I will make it Athenian, just so I can have an Alcibiades hero.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Coriolanus wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: This is correct on all accounts. In fact, during the early stages of the Peloponnesian the Athenian strategy was to surrender their land to Sparta and destroy the Spartans and their allies with their navy. This strategy would've worked too, if not for Athens getting wrecked by a Plague and a series of incompetent leaders after the death of Pericles.
Spoiler
Show
The plague was bad, but Athens survived that still in good shape and I'm not sure incompetent leaders was any greater problem with the Athenians than with the Spartans.

I would lay the chief cause at Athens decision to both undertake the Sicilian expedition and to try Alcibiades for a capital crime (which caused him to defect to Sparta). Had they undertaken the Sicilian expedition but left Alcibiades in command it would at least not have failed so disastrously and perhaps even have succeeded. Had they gotten rid of Alcibiades and not gone on the Sicilian expedition, they would have lost their best commander, but they would at least have retained the militarily dominant position they had achieved with the Peace of Nicias.
By doing both, they ensured the failure of the Sicilian expedition (which was slaughtered almost to a man and destroyed their superior position) and gave the Spartans an excellent adviser (he was the one who finally got the Spartans to fortify Delium [to which Thucydides attributes a large share of the eventual Athenian defeat] and to pursue a more offensive strategy than they had dared to previously.) Even though Alcibiades double-defected back to the Athenians a few years later, the damage was done and all the best ships and the highly trained oarsmen and coxswains which had been destroyed and killed in Sicily could never be recovered.

It is interesting to note that after Alcibiades became prominent after the Peace of Nicias, he was always winning, whichever side he was on, as long as he was given authority to do what he wanted. The man was unbeatable. Lysander was not able to defeat the re-built Athenian navy until Alcibiades was removed from command; and then the defeat was a direct result of the Athenian commanders disregarding a specific warning that Alcibiades had given them as a private citizen. I imagine that when I do fill out my Greek faction I will make it Athenian, just so I can have an Alcibiades hero
Okay thanks. My Greek history isn't too complete. When I read Thucydides it was to focus on the philosophical part--what makes a good government and such.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

mercury19
different
Location: The dark corners of my brooding, angst filled mind.

Post by mercury19 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:10 pm

On the note of Thermopile, if you haven't already, you guys should read Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire. And any of his other books, they are dang good. He wrote about Thermopile, the Alcibiades episode, the Amizons, and tons of other stuff. I really can't vouch for the historical accuracy, but I think it's better than the 300 movie. As a story and historically. Easily the best book I've ever read, made me cry. Matter of fact, I think I'll go read it again when I finish my current book...
Ask now what I'm doing, even for me :mystery:

Tzan wrote:
"The frontiers of space are a giant sausage fest." ~ Admiral Ackbar

http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... han_Empire the Avokhan article

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Post by Brikguy0410 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Coriolanus wrote:

It is interesting to note that after Alcibiades became prominent after the Peace of Nicias, he was always winning, whichever side he was on, as long as he was given authority to do what he wanted. The man was unbeatable. Lysander was not able to defeat the re-built Athenian navy until Alcibiades was removed from command; and then the defeat was a direct result of the Athenian commanders disregarding a specific warning that Alcibiades had given them as a private citizen. I imagine that when I do fill out my Greek faction I will make it Athenian, just so I can have an Alcibiades hero.
You have to have some Spartans man, they are just so awsome

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 am

Nם איקט שרקמאץ
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:25 am

Hebrew for "no they're not?" I prefer yiddish as my language of choice, as i'm about as Jewish as brikguy is spartan.
Only problem with silver bullets is the price of silver.