Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

WestNordOst
Officer

BW 2010 Statcard Generator

Post by WestNordOst » Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 am

I present to you the statcard generator for the BW2010 rules
http://westnordost.de/statcard/

Just enter your MOC's size, weapons, stats etc., the stats are automatically validated and the costs are calculated on the fly.
Additionally, a statcard is generated for you to customize and then download or print out directly.

Rather than enumerating all the features it has, I dare to say that it is compelete and that you can use this for any Brikwars 2010 creation. It covers everything. Tell me if I am wrong.

(Somewhat obscure) features missing that I currently do not plan to implement:
+ Constructs
+ Rules and things that are only applicable to minifigs and not to any construction
+ some kind of automatic "your unit is too complex to fit on one statcard" detection with options to cut descriptions etc short -> :wtf: make your unit less complex!
Last edited by WestNordOst on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

WestNordOst
Officer

Re: BrikWars 2010 MOC calculator

Post by WestNordOst » Sun May 04, 2014 9:20 am

By the way an old calculator for the 2001 rules is here: http://westnordost.de/misc/bwplatforms2001.html
But don't bother to report any error/missing thing, I don't work on it anymore.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 am

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for making this, I've always hated having to constantly flip between tabs to find the right table while I'm stating out a new unit.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun May 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Awesome, you even got armor plating to work! Nice job.

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Sun May 04, 2014 1:25 pm

An update:
+ Added BastardWeapons. (They can be mounted too)
+ Added default checkbox for propulsion: if checked, the default will be updated on change of size
+ Added clear button, form is cleared on reload of page
+ examples include boats
+ small layout changes (e.g. disabling flight on armor plating)

Everything except the turrets should be in now. Can someone explain them to me?

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sun May 04, 2014 7:49 pm

WestNordOst wrote:Everything except the turrets should be in now. Can someone explain them to me?
I don't recall there being any rules related to turrets. Can you explain what information you're looking for?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun May 04, 2014 9:56 pm

They're in the section for the Heavy (8.6).
Turrets
Most minifigs and Vehicles abide by the agreement (an unspoken agreement, since few Vehicles can speak) that minifig Weapons are for minifigs, and Vehicle Weapons are for Vehicles. There are occasional contrary-minded minifigs who refuse to play along, however, and insist on hauling around Weapons that are too big for them. For normal minifigs, this means hauling a portable Turret into position in the field, and trying to keep that position secure long enough to set up the Turret and Weapon and lay down fire.

A standard Turret costs 1CP, measures 1" in Size and can mount a Size 2" Weapon. (Larger Turrets are occasionally seen, and are purchased as regular Creations of the appropriate Size.) For minifigs hauling Turrets and Weapons into position, remember that a single minifig can haul a 1" object at regular speed (although they can't Sprint), or a 2" object at Half Speed (7.3: Field Construction).

Once in place, whether the Turret and Weapon were transported separately or already attached, it takes a Full-Round Action for the Turret to be properly Set Up. Once Set Up, the Turret is stationary and the Weapon may be fired normally starting on the following turn. It doesn't take an Action to pick up the turret, move it, or detach the weapon, but if the Turret is moved or knocked over then it must be Set Up all over again before it can be fired.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Sun May 04, 2014 10:34 pm

So,... I understand that turrets are irrelevant for MOCs since they are just tiny creations to mount a big gun on it?

By the way, a turret seems to be a creation of 1" with structure level 1" (if any), which has enough power to mount exactly a 2" gun. (Or bigger with "Gather all power!") So, why a special rule for this at all if the rules are general enough to cover this under the normal construction rules?

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Whoops, I did not read the creatures chapter and field hazards yet. Update!:

[*] added applicable field hazards: energy shield, exposure damage .oO(nuclear radiation tank)
[*] added Minds: skill boost, half minds, multidexterity, extra action
[*] added SuperNatural Abilities: all the dice
[*] added Spawner as device
[*] added links to the rulebook
[*] reorganized fields, enhanced stylesheet

Only one thing left to do, but I will wait for feedback: special abilities (mostlye Chapter 10: Creatures)

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 pm

It might be easier to just add a section where you can note that the unit has a special ability of some given cost (just a little slider with a range of CP values would be all you need), without stating what it is. Since so many players will add on various custom traits to tweak and buff their units, trying to list off all the possible traits that we've already come up with (let alone what other ones we'll come up with in the future) just seems like it would be a futile, effort-intensive task.

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Thu May 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I am planning to automatically generate a printable statcard from the information entered in the form. Thus, I strive for the calculator to be cover everything.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm

WestNordOst wrote:I am planning to automatically generate a printable statcard from the information entered in the form. Thus, I strive for the calculator to be cover everything.
That does sound very useful, and if I remembered anything from my programming classes I'd volunteer to help you out. I'm just trying to point out that rather than putting all the possible traits into the calculator, it might be easier to set it up so the user can put in their own custom traits.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu May 08, 2014 2:59 pm

WestNordOst wrote:I am planning to automatically generate a printable statcard from the information entered in the form. Thus, I strive for the calculator to be cover everything.
:tiger: HYPE

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm

If you'd like to help out, you could find out for me about this fancy HTML5 <canvas> element:

I want to draw the template statcard onto the element and then dynamically color the two colorable surfaces. E.g.
the blueish background and the red box around the figure.

And then more stuff - like adding an own title image etc.: But the above is what I am wondering about if it is possible at all.

WestNordOst
Officer

Post by WestNordOst » Sun May 11, 2014 2:03 am

**WIP** (everything has been automatically generated)

Click this link to find bugs: http://www.westnordost.de/statcard/