Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated June 14th

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated July 21st

Post by ikensall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Kalvinator wrote:Yeah, I just thought I'd do something constructive.
Thanks, but be careful, some folks around these parts object to you using the "c-word" in public.
ALSO: Expect some pictures of Fat Bill II when I finally think I've improved it. To clarify; the rather chunky feel was by design, as I did want it to feel like a compressed plane, but aside from that there are some areas that I think need cleaning up.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm

I really like how detailed this stuff is.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Silverdream wrote:I really like how detailed this stuff is.
I do try to get lots of greebles in, although I have to be careful to avoid a clusterfuck, and I was worried for a moment that the floating fancy would become a :j+b: , but that was probably a bit of paranoia on my part.

As of 6:30 pm GMT Today, Fat Bill II is now ready for service. It's no less brutish (sorry Kalvinator), but now hopefully more suitable to Indiana Jones cameos should the need arise, and it's generally a little bit nicer to look at. Pictures coming soon... (pointless teaser post is pointless!)

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 am

Right then, looks like I finally got my act together with the pictures, so here we go... (It's in the first post too.)

The Viquers-Vicount company received complaints from various disgruntled buyers claiming that their new aircraft was woefully under-armed, and that the disproportionate losses by collision figures were the result of pilots trying to hack their enemies' faces off with the prop after their single machine gun didn't work. The old aircraft were recalled, and modified, with the aim of better armament and a slightly less stupid look. Despite the fact that it still looked pretty chunky, and the only new weaponry was facing aft, crews concurred Bannable offence! that it was superior to the old plane. Because I'm not rebuilding it again -I've changed as much as I can. I'd have an easier time building a new plane altogether!

So yeah, here's "Fatter Bill":

There, that one probably shows all the changes the best. A new machine gun cupola where the useless crewman used to sit, I changed the tail a bit to give it less stumpy ailerons and the fuselage itself is also 2 studs longer.

The MG cupola, I have the idea in my head that I felt redesigning the plane involved changing a lot more than it really did, probably because I spent most of my time wrestling to get the inner workings back the way they were before I took it apart, instead of spending time altering stuff. But still, MG cupola, all good. (Small continuity error here, the MG should be attached to the plane on a different stud, but whatever.)
Spoiler
Show
Flying past and shooting people in the back, that's how it's done!

I also improved the stumpy wing-fuselage length ratio. The fuselage is 2 studs longer, but the wings are 4 studs wider.

The underside, it's pretty spartan, but it's not like the infantry will notice as it flies over head. After all they have no necks, so it's not like they can look up.

The second crewman now sits precariously high on the plane, but he does at least fit quite snugly in his little perch behind the gun.

ImageImage
Comparison of old (top) and new (bottom). From which we can conclude that it's basically the same build, I hope you didn't have high expectations.

Okay, so here's the pile of extra pictures, for anyone who hasn't already killed themselves.
Spoiler
Show

Minor C&C welcome, but if you think I should to reshape her, then it's not going to happen- I did try, but it wasn't working.
Last edited by ikensall on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated July 28th

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 am

The cupola looks really good, but I think you could fit more weapons on the wings- either machine guns or bombs and rockets.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Theblackdog wrote:The cupola looks really good, but I think you could fit more weapons on the wings- either machine guns or bombs and rockets.
Although there's never enough dakka, I'd leave it be. I like it's simpleness. Goes well with it's classic look.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm going to agree with BFenix on this one, perhaps if I was going to take it into a brikwar the I'd kit it up a bit more, but whilst it's an aesthetic piece, I think it'll be fine without more dakka. Don't kill me guys, BFenix said it first! On a side note, I'm temptingly close to being able to locate all the parts I would require to give Fatter Bill a friend. I don't quite have all of the stuff I'd need, but it's conceivable that I could cobble something similar together. It might not even happen, but if anyone has ideas for names...
Spoiler
Show
Next time I make a (different) plane, I'd like to have a go at a twin engined heavy fighter-bomber, like the beaufighter. See those under the wings, I've just realised those are small rockets, now that looks interesting.
Last edited by ikensall on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm

I love it. The gun looks extremely good.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Took some group shots after erecting a kind of lego altar that shouted out "put all your stuff on me and take pictures", many more later when I've got some time, I've also got another small build*/ minifaction to post... stay tuned.

*I tried building an "aerosani", they're basically armoured motor-sledges with guns on, although mine isn't quite as bulky as this WWII Russian one:
Spoiler
Show

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Okay then, this is a little micro faction I pulled together (you've seen some of them before modelling stuff), the back-story is that they're mercenaries (I hope you appreciate the hours of thought that took me) and their colour is black. The only real reason I scraped these guys together is because I needed some more figs to man my machines- my fig: creation ratio was way too low and even with some new figs, I wouldn't be able to field a suitable amount of figs for a Brikwar if I wanted to use all my creations at the same time.

Here they are (commander in black, sniper/anti-tank rifleman on the left end), I took these pictures in a stupid place with crap lighting, so get ready for some grimdark style lighting for the rest of this mini update.

These guys are the would-be users of many of the builds in the last update, but I thought that they could use their own proper build.
Now for something a bit more interesting, I wanted to build something unusual, so...

I built them a DethSledge Aerosani, I've no idea what relevance a snow sledge would be in a brikwar, but it looks pretty enough, and I fulfilled my two aims:
6. Make something that moves (surprisingly difficult given the fact I've all but run out of wheels/ tracks for things that move; overcome with the skis!)
7. Make something with a disproportionately large propeller/ power unit strapped on the back.
Spoiler
Show

Cockpit shot, probably one of the best framed photographs I've ever taken.

The massive rear end somehow doesn't overbalance the whole thing, although it just about balances on the middle pair of skis.

C&C welcome.

The pictures of my entire collection will be up tomorrow.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

The Aerosani looks really cool, it has a great cobbled-together feel. And damn, I didn't realize how many of these guys you had until you lined them all up. That's a lot of very strong builds.

Also, having built a Britannian fighter based on the similar-looking Mosquito light bomber, I would love to see you build a Beaufighter.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated August-9th

Post by ikensall » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:06 am

(The Dethsledge and that pic pf the minifaction are in the OP now.)
Theblackdog wrote:The Aerosani looks really cool, it has a great cobbled-together feel.
Thanks, that's probably because it was cobbled together; although I do sometimes appreciate a bit of a "rugged" appearance in my builds, and anything that has a massive propeller on the back like this qualifies for that. :P

As for building a beaufighter, I don't intend on making a carbon copy of the beaufighter - I'd like it to be a bit more original than that- but I do find the two engines and a forward cockpit layout just looks awesome on the beaufighter, and I'd like something that's similar to that.
Spoiler
Show
Having said that, although I do have some of the parts I'd need, I'm going to have to do a lot of searching for useful parts in my boxes of random Lego. So in the meantime, here are those group pictures:

This is pretty much everything, apart from one of the (Blue) empire's field guns and the Buzzard fighter plane, which lies in a state of disrepair (although I intend to rebuild it properly some day). If you spot something you think has changed from the original post (which was about a year ago now) then it probably has changed.
Spoiler
Show
I put the new faction in charge of the gun truck and field howitzer from the last update, hence a black flag on the truck.

Here you can see just how low my fig:build ratio is, but I'd still rather have a lot of builds and not all that many figs than a load of figs but no impressive builds.

I wish it was possible for me to string all of these pictures (that you're about to see) together into one big banner, but what the hell, here's some close-ups:

These were all taken with the same grimdark lighting as before, so that's why it looks like I live underground in some of the pictures.
Last edited by ikensall on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 pm

I like the artillery and the tractor. I also like the overall presentation, but I think you could use a bit more lighting.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 am

Natalya wrote:I like the artillery and the tractor. I also like the overall presentation, but I think you could use a bit more lighting.
Thanks, I was quite pleased with how the wheels and the gun-shield on the howitzer came out and I did always want a big red tractor in my lego collection. As far as the lighting is concerned you are right; the setup I have now is in a particularly poorly chosen place, especially when it's cloudy (as it is most of the time), so hopefully I'll have found the right place to take pictures in my house (if one exists) before I next compile an update.

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:39 am

I can't truly convey how much I adore this work. Empire is my favorite, but thanks to Shogun 2, I will always imagine those odd accents whenever they tell, say, a battalion of tanks to go blow some shit up.