Band of Heros

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Master JJ
Champion
Champion
Location: Bridge of my Lego Super Star Destroyer orbiting the planet

Band of Heros

Post by Master JJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 am

Ok, so the basic idea is this: Player 1 has 10-20men, heavily armored, and in a bunker/good defensible position. Everyone else (depending on the number of players), from 1-infinity (don’t try infinity, you can’t feed them all, or fit them in your house for that matter), gets 50-100men, speeders, and other LIGHT vehicles. Troops are setup surrounding Player 1, with everyone teamed against Player 1. Player 1 doesn’t stand a chance right? Wrong! All of Player 1's minifigs are heroes, and no one else is allowed to use heroes, although one or two as enemy generals may be acceptable. The hero’s also do not have heroic ego, as they are all chums. Player 1 then has to survive for a set number of turns (depending on how hard you want it), and then reinforcements arrive. One or two heavy units, 10-50 minifigs, and some speeders (all depending on how many other players there are, and how many enemies are left). Throw in LMS, and Johnny NO! Rules as necessary. (For Johnny No! rules, count all Player 1’s starting units as a squad.) Post your thoughts or comments please.

Hey...this is my first topic! Do I get a trophy or something?
If I have to chose between surrender and death, ill take death. Cause I get to take a few of you down with me.

-Me

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 am

I really liked the idea up until the part where everyone on Player 1's team is heroes. I think that 20 heavily armored men in an easily defensible position would be more than a match for 50 lightly armored men, even with vehicles. It's called a siege. Sure, if you had 10 heroes vs 100 men it would be a little more fair, but when taking stupendous feats into account it's hard to say. The biggest problem is that when finding people to play with, who wouldn't want to be the team with all the heroes? Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe some people wouldn't mind having 100 minifigs Zerg a base full of heroes.

Other than this, the idea is kickass. I like the whole "survive for this many turns" aspect and I think you should run with it. Only it doesn't lend itself well to the whole mass destruction aspect of Brikwars, so you need to come up with a scenario somewhere along the lines of, the planet is about to be blown up so Player 1's team needs to fix their spaceship in X turns while everyone else tries to break in and steal it.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 am

Almighty Benny wrote:The biggest problem is that when finding people to play with, who wouldn't want to be the team with all the heroes? Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe some people wouldn't mind having 100 minifigs Zerg a base full of heroes.
uh. me. and basically any korean. everyone loves ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKE.

but i strongly agree with benny here. 10-20 heroes on one team with no ego? way too intense. honestly, i wouldn't even try any more than 5.

but the idea is still great. survival matches are great! personally, i'd just end it when the turns are up: the rescue dropship lands and picks them up or the sun comes out and all the enemies were vampires.

this is also similar to a trek-battle: group of 5 must go from point A to point B out gunned and out numbered. utilization of cover, smart tactics, and massive explosions all fit their way into something like this very well.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 am

Remember the Alamo! That's a great example of a fort full of heroes facing down a Zergling rush. It's also a good example of the way a battle like this has to work: the only way it's fun is if the heroes have absolutely no chance of survival. They have to know from the start that they'll be overrun eventually, and their only option is to to take as many of the bastards out in the process as they can.

So I'd run it like this.

1: First of all, the attackers never run out of units. Every time an attacker's troop or vehicle is destroyed, it respawns instantly at the edge of the field, ready to rush in again on the next turn. You can replace the dead bodies and machinery with random gore and rubble to indicate how much carnage has gone on.

2: Second, start with a medium number of attacking troops, and add more each turn, until you run out of minifigs. The best way to add more vehicles is less obvious, maybe use die rolls or something at the beginning of each turn.

3: The attackers' goal is to overrun that base as quickly as possible, because score is kept by the number of turns it takes. Therefore the attackers must always rush; no holding troops or vehicles back in reserve. But it's okay to try maneuvering around to attack from different angles or whatever other strategies you might think of.

4. When the defenders are finally killed to the last man, switch sides and see which player lasts the longest.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:24 pm

with mikes rules i would say the army 1 gets <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of gernades and the door has swinging axes

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:36 pm

THIS. IS. BRIKWARS!. This is essentially the same thing as the movie. It's awesome! I'm definitely going to try this at some time. It's sweet!
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Master JJ
Champion
Champion

Post by Master JJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Wow, I didn’t think everyone would like it THIS much.

And I said the 20heros because I was envisioning me vs. my friend, and he has about 250infantry, to my 60 or so. So the 20men in the bunker face down 200+ men (10 to 1 odds), for 5-10 turns until I get the rest of my troops. And they wouldn’t all have to be hero’s, just most of them. :D

But I like Mikes idea, and ever 5-10turns on so, the doomed defenders get 10reiforcements to help, just so they can hold out longer. Of course, if they get wiped out in the first 3turns, that doesn’t matter much.
with mikes rules i would say the army 1 gets allot of grenades and the door has swinging axes
I was thinking they would have an unlimited amount of grenades, just too even things up.
If I have to chose between surrender and death, ill take death. Cause I get to take a few of you down with me.

-Me

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:10 pm

This thread is making me want to build some Zerglings...
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Master JJ
Champion
Champion

Post by Master JJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Your welcome, if you need anything else, just ask.

-Me

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Why doesn't one person have 300 minifigs, and the other one have 100, 000? 8)
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

LegoEggo
Champion
Champion

Post by LegoEggo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I'd take 100,000 minifigs any day 'o the week! For someone as obsessed with LEGO as I am, I have a pretty petty collection.

As for the idea... I loves it! Maybe have minefields leading up to the bunker, and booby traps 'n stuff. A medieval version would be fun... a huge castle, deserted, that's kinda falling apart. Minifigs can knock briks looses and get crused :twisted: ... ya know.
Member of ULUG

Master JJ
Champion
Champion

Post by Master JJ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:46 pm

I wasn't acually going for sumthing that big, but im sure you could do it. I was thinking more like a bunker barely big enough to hold them all. Bobby Traps on the other hand sound perfect. Gives the defenders another little way to stay alive for those extra turns. I can't wait until the next brikwars battle we have around here, i've got this and a few other things I want to try. Too bad I have to wait a couple months.

-Me

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 am

the heroic ego rule would kill all the heroes i mean like -5 per roll.
if the defenders had ego that is. :?
Last edited by james+burgundy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 am

james+burgundy wrote:the heroic ego rule would kill all the heroes i mean like -5 per roll.
You didn't even read his first post, did you? He said that the defenders wouldn't have ego, they would be just Heros without ego.

The idea itself is pretty cool. So movie-alike and brikwarsy. But if the bunker is just barely big enough to hold every defender, they would be gone after just few grenades. So maybe that bunker should be slightly bigger :P
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

Master JJ
Champion
Champion

Post by Master JJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:11 pm

Well, who ever said the other team HAS grenades? They have plenty of men, so they can throw rocks. :D

-Me