Trapped Between Mountains: Came From the Sky

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Trapped Between Mountains: Came From the Sky

Postby militaryfreak » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 am

In 2013, following the South Mirthanese military's reclaiming of the island of Narische, rebel groups in the largely muslim area originally backed by South Mirthan, later became supported by international terrorist groups, thus beginning a one and a half year insurgency in the region. During Operation: Red Scorpion, forces of the 6th Army proposed a plan to place troops in the mountainous terrain overlooking the town of Dornhaus, with the goal of observing and disrupting movement of enemy militants to and from the stronghold.
Credits:
Maria Morgentaler: as Captain Sabina Wissman.
Timothy Reinhold: as Captain Benjamin Jentzsch
Hans Teller: as Sergeant Robin Bodekar
Torsten Schnee: as Master Sergeant Adelbert Ribbentrop
and Armin Shottenstein: As Major Sebastian Thorn

Capt. Wissman: Private Weigl?
Pvt: Weigl: Yes ma'am?
Capt. Wissman: I got the name right didnt I?
Pvt. Weigl: Yes ma'am Private Weigl.
Capt. Wissman: Havent had the chance to ask yet, why did you join up?
Private Weigl: Ma'am?
Capt. Wissman: you're new, I like to know those in my squad. I know who you are. you're that artist, the one with the sculptures in Polis Central Park? what made you come here? You have talent.

Spc. Steinhauzer: Wait, you're THE Oscar Weigl? I read an article about you! some kind of high school prodigy!
Pvt. Weigl: yes, yes. Its I, the famous artist...
Spc. Hering: what the hell are you doing here then?
Pvt. Weigl: Well, you know the term starving artist? That was me fame only gets you so far. So i figured, Id go volunteer, get benefits go to art school overseas.
Capt. Wissman: Why airborne though? Theres plenty of non-combat jobs.
Pvt. Weigl: Well... I wanted to experience things few other do, see people in a new light. I could shape these experiences into my art.
Spc. Steinhauzer: ~laughs~
Pvt. Weigl: you see that helicopter? Its beautiful... nothing unnecessary. This artist, Michelangelo, he said to create sculptures he would take stone and remove everything unnecessary. see? Beauty is when nothing is unnecessary.
Spc. Hering: So weapons are beautiful?
Pvt. Weigl: Yes, they are. In war there is only life and death, nothing unnecessary. War is beautiful.
SPC. Steinhauzer: Whatever you say kid ~rolls eyes~

(Major Thorn rolls up on an ATV.)
Major Thorn: The Operations tent said you fixed the problem?
Mechanic: Yes sir! Gun is good and ready to go whenever you give the order.

Major Thorn: HEY! EVERYONE! I'M LOOKING FOR CAPTAIN WISSMAN!
Capt. Wissman: right here Major!
Major Thorn: Get this platoon loaded up and stand by! We're off hold!
Capt. Wissman: Yes sir!

Capt. Wissman: Alright, you heard the Major! Load up and standby. Squads Alpha, Bravo! you'll be landing at the base of the hill to secure the farmstead and the trail uphill. Squad Charlie you're landing at the summit to deploy ATGMs, myself and Squad Delta will be positioned with you. lets go people!
Spc. Steinhauzer: ~sigh~ Hurry up and wait...

Capt. Wissman: now... we remeber what happened last time...not naming names...
Spc. Hering: ~cough~ ~cough~ Buckhardt! ~cough~
pvt. Buckhardt: Hey!
Capt. Wissman: Ahem, not naming names... does everyone have everything? if not, you have maybe 10 minutes to run back to your tent and get it.
Spc. Steinhauzer: Weapon, bayonet, helmet, sidearm, 2 anti-tank rockets, grenades...and we all have extra socks.
Capt: Wissman: alright, if all is in order, lets mount up!

(30 minutes later)
Command: Longbow Flight, you are cleared for takeoff, happy hunting. wind is four-zero-five at five. gusts at five-zero-five. weather is calm all around.
Longbow 2-1: Copy that Camp Control, Longbow 2-1 quick climb to 1000. Longbow flight acknowledge.
Longbow 3-1: Three-one!
Longbow 4-2: Four-Two!
Longbow 5-9: Five-Niner!

radioman: Major, Longbow flight is airborne. Should reach objective in 20 minutes.
Operator: Sir, drone Two-Zero-Three is approaching landing area.
Major Thorn: You mean we don't have eyes yet? why wasn't I informed?
Operator: mechanical failure on takeoff, had to scramble the spare. only 5 minutes out. Thats well before Longbow flight arrives.
Major Thorn: Alright, let me know when its there. What about Longbow's flight path?
Radioman: should still be clear, a drone went over yesterday, found nothing.
Operator: Do you want me to redirect 203 to observe?
Major Thorn: negative, verify safety of the LZ first.

Pilot: 5 minutes to LZ!
Capt: Wissman: Be ready to disembark!
Co-Pilot: Arnold, Helena. Keep those guns ready, scan for anything remotely hostile!
Gunner: You got it L-T.
Spc: Hering: hey Weigl, whats that you're drawing?
Pvt Weigl: oh, its the helicopter. (points to Longbow 3-1 flying alongside)
Spc Hering: damn, Thats fine talent there.

Gunner 1: sand....sand...more sand... You see anything Helena?
Gunner 2: I see a dingy little house... thats it.
Gunner 2: I grew up in a village with a house like that.

Gunner 2: I remember we- OH SHIT!

Gunner 2: CONTACT! CONTACT!
(lets loose with the minigun)

(rounds splatter all around, striking 2 insurgents. As he falls, and insurgent fires an RPG.)

Pilot: SHIT! HOLD ON TO SOMETHING!
(The pilot narrowly dodges the incoming rocket. While one soldier manages to brace, Steinhauzer is thrown from the aircraft.)

Capt. Wissman: SHIT! Steinhauzer!

Capt. Wissman: Dammit! Man down! Man down!
Pilot: what? is he hit?
Capt Wissman: No! he fell!.
Co-pilot: Shit, command! this is Longbow 2-1, we have a man down scramble Search and Rescue assets, repeat!

(a rocket strikes Longbow 2-1, the tail breaks away, and the aircraft begins to spin.)
Co-pilot: Captain! We're hit!
Pilot: we're out of control, brace for a hard landing!

Longbow 4-2: Command Longbow 2-1 is down. repeat Longbow 2-1 is down!
Longbow 5-9: Five-Niner, we're taking heavy automatic weapons fire! theres to much!

(Bullets pepper the hull of the aircraft.)
Longbow 5-9: Theyre hitting us! they've got-
(bullets sail through the cockpit, killing both pilots. the aircraft stalls, banks, and crashes upside down.

Longbow 4-2: Longbow 5-9 is down... repeat 5-9 is down. Hard crash...
Command: Longbow flight, SAR assets will be mobilized for 2-1 and 5-9, retreat. I repeat SAR assets are being mobilized, retreat!

(a rocket strikes Longbow 3-1's tail.)
Pilot: 3-1, we're hit! loss of tail rotor!
Longbow 4-2: Can you make it back!
Pilot: negative! Im gonna try to set her down! its gonna be rough!

Longbow 4-2: Command, we see survivors at 3-1's crash site! repeat! Survivors at 3-1.
Command: Copy that! Get out of there 4-2!

(bullets rip through 4-2's cockpit. the pilot lurches forward over the controls screaming. blood and broken glass are flung through the cockpit.
Co-pilot: Fuck! FUCK! I can't SEE! There's blood in my eyes! Fritz! Take the controls!
Gunner: Got it! I got it! Im gonna set her down near 3-1!
Co-pilot: command! 4-2! crew severely wounded, Gunner has the stick! landing near 3-1!

Msgt Ribbentrop: Command! this is Master Sergeant Ribbentrop! Captain Wissman is down with 2-1 direct orders to myself! we have wounded. we are moving away from crash sites. there is an abandoned farmstead nearby. all survivors will link up there and await backup!
Command: Copy, will notify 3-1 of farmstead. Drones report hostiles moving in, troops ad light vehicles. Help is coming! repeat help is coming!

Radioman: SAR is deployed already for a downed pilot! nearest assets have 45 minute ETA!
Major Thorn: thats too long! Find me Captain Jentzsch! get his company mobilized and get out there! APC's trucks, I don't care! whatever his company has, tell him I want it all.
Soldier: Yes sir!
Radioman: 4 choppers down sir! can't raise 2-1 or 5-9!
Major Thorn: We can't write them off, get that drone over the crashsites! we need a visual.
Operator: Yes sir!

Operator: No movement at 2-1. moving to 5-9.

Capt. Wissman: ugh... dammit. is everyone alright?
~silence~
Guys? Hey! Soundoff!

Capt. Wissman: no...no... there has to be someone...

(A technical vehicle pulls up carrying militants
Capt: Wissman: dammit.

Militant: Search for survivors! if you can't find any, loot what you can!

Militant: We want prisoners here! no executions!

Militant: and hurry, rescue teams will be arriving any minute now!

(a militant spots Wissman with an anti-tank rocket)
militant: Fuck! rocket-

(the rocket hits home, the vehicle explodes into flames)

(a militant falls from the vehicle on fire) Militant Driver: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Militant Driver:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(his screams grow quieter and quieter until the only sound is the roar of the flames. Captain Wissman steps back in horror, and flees the scene)

Operator: Sir! we have an explosion at 2-1! and a survivor headed north! I think they're headed for a ruined structure nearby!
Major Thorn: Captain Jentzch! secondary objective, there is a single survivor headed for ruins north of 2-1 rescue him if you can! first priority are 3-1 and 4-2!
Capt: Jentzsch: Yes sir!

Sergeant: MOVE! MOVE! MOVE! GRAB ONLY WHAT YOU NEED FOR COMBAT AND MOUNT UP!

Captain Jentzsch: We're mobile! Command, repeat. Company is mobile! Im leading from Lancer 13!

Major Thorn: Copy that. Master Sergeant Ribentropp! Help is mobile! ETA 30 minutes! whats your status?

Msgt Ribbentropp: Not sure if we're going to last that long major! Weve linked up with 3-1, taking fire from multiple positions, we have casualties!
Major Thorn: Copy That! just hold out a little longer!

Soldier: SHIT! The MG is jammed!
Msgt: Ribbentropp: Dammit! Covering fire! get the damn thing fixed!
Soldier 2: I've stabilized the wounded sergeant!
Msgt. Ribbentropp: Grab a weapon and fight then!

Soldier: dammit! man down!
Msgt. Ribbentropp: I don't hear the MG firing! hurry it up! Help is almost here!

Vehicle Commander: Taking fire from the ridge! get some suppressing fire up there!

(a soldier in an open top truck is hit, comrades rush to his aid.)
Captain Jentzsch: All vehicles maneuver! put the armored vehicles between the trucks and the ridge. don't let up on surpressing that ridge!
Vehicle Commander: Captain my truck has casualties!
Vehicle Commander 2: we have dead too!

(a bullet strikes Captain Jentzsch's gunner, she crumples to the floor lifeless.)

soldier: Erica is down! I've got the gun!
(the soldier climbs up to the gunner seat.)

Captain Jentzsch: sir, we're taking heavy fire from the ridge! casualties on multiple vehicles!
Major Thorn: keep pressing, I have air support inbound to clear the ridge.
Operator: Sir! no movement from 5-9! looks like a total loss.
Major Thorn: Dammit!

(Captain Wissman approaches a set of ruins, seeking shelter.

(militants appear around the corner. She takes cover, hoping they will pass by. They instead stick around. her belt of ammunition becomes unraveled and clatters to the ground.
Militant: what was that?

(She pops over, spraying them down with the LMG.)

militant: you bitch!
(a final militant pops around the corner. he shoots, a three round burst into Wissmans thigh.)
Capt. Wissman: Urgh!

(Wissman falls to the floor, she pulls her side arm and empties the magazine into the enemy)
Capt. Wissman: FUCK YOU!!!

Capt. Wissman: Dammit...dammit...

(her leg is bleeding heavily. she removes her belt and uses it as a tourniquet.)
Capt Wissman: If help doesn't get here soon... Im losing this leg...

Vehicle Commander: Dammit! they have mortars!
Captain Jenzsch: Command! we are taking mortar fire! where is the air support!

Major Thorn: Air support has just arrived captain!

Captain Jentzsch: fire is letting up! our thanks to the air force! Coming up on survivors!

Squad leader: MOVE MOVE MOVE! COVERING FIRE!

Soldier: ARGGHH! Im hit! AGGGHHHHH!
Soldier: dammit! how many guns do they have up there!

Msgt Ribentropp: GO GO! get on that truck! You! help him carry out the wounded! leave no man behind!

Radioman: Major! survivors have been recovered!
(Major Thorn drops to the ground, relieved)
Major Thorn: what about the survivor from 2-1? Captain Jentzsch? Can you make a recovery?

(Captain Jentzsche hesitates to respond. he looks back at his squad, piled dead on the vehicle floor.)
Capt. Jentzsche: Yes sir... ill send a team over now.

Capt Jentzsche: Lancer 15 and Crusader 09... Sergeant Bodekar, I have a final task for you... we have a surivor north of 2-1's crash site in a ruined structure. I need you to recover him.
Sgt. Bodekar: Yes sir, we'll get him home safe!

(minutes later, the vehicles pull up to the structure and disembark.)

Sgt. Bodekar: Fan out, be ready! we could be fired at any second-
(he stops when he sees Capt. Wissman... covered in blood, shaking from shock, and a thousand-yard stare.)

Sgt Bodekar: ...oh shit...

Sgt. Bodekar: ... hey, c'mon guy... lets get you out of here...c'mon...

(Fire erupts from a nearby building, striking a solider, bullets whiz overhead)
Sgt. Bodekar: Dammit! COVERING FIRE! LETS GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!

(A soldier drags his dead comrade back to the vehicle as the others return fire. Sgt. Bodekar picks up Capt. Wissman and carries her to the APC.)

A bullet ricochets off the APC and strikes Sgt Bodekar's helmet. the force staggers him and he is knocked to the ground, dropping Captain Wissman on her injured leg.)
Capt. Wissman: GAAAAHHHHHH!!!! FUCK!
Sgt. Bodekar: Easy girl! easy! we're almost out of here!
(he pulls her into the vehicle.)

The troops load up and vehicles speed away, machineguns still blazing

Radioman: Captain Jentzsch reports that the 2-1 crash survivor was Captain Wissman. Major... its over... theyve recovered all survivors and are headed back. they are no longer taking fire.
(Major Thorn leans over a crate, breathing a sigh of great relief)
Major Thorn: ...Jesus Christ...
(he walks away.)
Radioman: Sir? where are you going?
Major Thorn: I have to see how many...

Major Thorn: You! Soldier! I was told you have Captain Wissman!
Sgt. Bodekar: Yes sir... she's still in shock though...

Major Thorn: my god...

Capt. Wissman: Major... its like he said...
Major Thorn: who?
Captain Wissman: private Weigl... he said beauty was when nothing was unneccesarry... war is life and death... nothing unneccesarry... war is beautiful...

Major Thorn: ...No... its not beautiful... There is plenty unnecessary. This was my fault... it shouldn't have happened.

The "Battle of Dornhaus Ridge" took place on June 16th 2013. It was operation was a disaster which resulted in the deaths of 29 South Mirthanese service members 31 were wounded. and estimated 200 militants were killed. Among the fallen soldier were, an accredited artist, beauty pageant queen, and an internet star. A day later, one final survivor of Longbow flight was found. Lt. Franz Adelman, the copilot of Longbow 2-1 was found by advancing South Mirthanese troops, strapped to his seat with a traumatic brain injury. He remains crippled to this day. Major Sebastian Thorn accepted responsibility for the disaster, he resigned over the failure.

THE REAL CAPTAIN SABINA WISSMAN
Sabina Wissman ended up losing her leg, and was discharged for medical reasons, with full benefits. She was awarded The Army Outstanding Achievement Medal for her feat of survival following her crash. the incredible story prompted Prime Minister Hansel Braun to award the medal in person. in 2015 she published the story, titled "Trapped On a Mountain" She currently lives with her Husband and 2 children in the city of Wusteland, a 3rd child is on the way!

THE REAL MAJOR SEBASTIAN THORN
Sebastian Thorn accepted responsibility for the failure at Dornhaus ridge. He resigned, divorced, and lived alone in the city of Kurana. In his isolation, he wrote his memoir "Fell From the Sky" which was published in 2016. Later that same year, he took his own life.

THE REAL MASTER SERGEANT ADELBERT RIBBENTROPP
Adelbert Ribbentropp earned the nations highest honor, The Royal Heart of Iron, for his accomplishment in keeping the crash survivors alive. He appeared on several talk shows and became a minor celebrity for a time. In 2014 he accepted an offer to train as a member of the KSK, the Army special forces, he completed training in 2015 and serves to this day. He lives with his wife and daughter at Castle Base, in Polis.

THE REAL CAPTAIN BENJAMIN JENTZSCH
Benjamin Jentzsch was promoted to Major after the battle. He continued to command a motorized company until his retirement in 2016. He lives with his Fiance in Jagerstolz. He was present for the premiere of this film. But could not stay, citing "too many bad memories"

THE REAL SERGEANT ROBIN BODEKAR
Robin Bodekar was awarded the The Army Outstanding Achievement Medal for his rescue of Captain Wissman. He serves to this day as a Master Sergeant. He has a husband and 2 adopted children. they live at Fort Von Kramm in Konigsberg. He too was present for the premiere of this film, and said he was glad the story was told.
TROLOLO
militaryfreak
Champion
Champion

Re: Trapped Between Mountains: Came From the Sky

Postby Scratch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 am

Magnificently done, I am surprised no one else has used the "Black Hawk Down" style of dramatized storytelling as the framing for a soap, not to mention the great focus on the soldiers on the ground.  :tiger:
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.

All you have to do is flatten his head.

Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.

Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.
Scratch
Reihawk

Postby stubby » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 am

militaryfreak wrote:THE REAL CAPTAIN SABINA WISSMAN
Sabina Wissman ended up losing her leg, and was discharged for medical reasons, with full benefits. She was awarded The Army Outstanding Achievement Medal for her feat of survival following her crash. the incredible story prompted Prime Minister Hansel Braun to award the medal in person. in 2015 she published the story, titled "Trapped On a Mountain" She currently lives with her Husband and 2 children in the city of Wusteland, a 3rd child is on the way!

I know she's not likely to figure heavily in military stories, but I hope wee see more of Captain Wissman
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby TastySkippy123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 am

This was such an amazing read, good job.

Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Postby Duerer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am

A bit lengthy but definitely worth the read!
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016
Forum Champion 2016

Postby TheVengefulOne » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 pm

One of the most amazing stories I ever seen someone tell in Lego, on Brikwars or elsewhere, great job.  :tiger:  :tiger:  :tiger:
Blunt the swords and bend the figs!
Shred the paper and burn the briks!
Chip the molds and crack the plates!
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
- Tzan

My faction's backstory: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16445

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/
TheVengefulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train

Postby Steel_Valkyrie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:18 pm

I really love how you inflated the troop's numbers there, well done!
Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Return to Magic Soap Opera Board