Zupponn Paints a Mini

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Zupponn Paints a Mini

Post by Zupponn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 pm

I've had this mini for a year or two now and finally got around to painting it. It's one of those plastic Bones ones from Reaper Minis. They're fairly nice in that they don't need any primer and they weigh almost nothing. The mini is supposed to be a town undertaker, but I want to try to use him for some kind shovel warrior in an RPG. Yes, I know. Shovel Knight haha.

I like how the base came out, but I'm not sure if I should have glossed him when I was done. On one hand, the paint is better protected and on the other hand, he looks a bit too shiny now. Oh well. Had fun painting him either way.

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Re: Zupponn Paints a Mini

Post by Captain-Camper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Base looks great but
Thin thy paints!

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 am

I never really do a finish on my minis :oops: but it might be worth getting a matt finish

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Typically, you want to avoid a gloss finish unless the model calls for it (like a slimy tyrannid thing, for example). Get yourself a cheap can of matte clear spray and give your figs a once over. It's not really necessary for basic display but is essential if you're handling them a lot.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:Base looks great but
Thin thy paints!
Are you saying that I should have used a wash over the top for detail? If that's the case, then I'd have to agree with you. I just only learned what that is after I finished this guy.
AnnoyedZebra wrote:I never really do a finish on my minis :oops: but it might be worth getting a matt finish
Quantumsurfer wrote:Typically, you want to avoid a gloss finish unless the model calls for it (like a slimy tyrannid thing, for example). Get yourself a cheap can of matte clear spray and give your figs a once over. It's not really necessary for basic display but is essential if you're handling them a lot.
The matte finish sounds like a good idea. All I have is a very basic set of paints right now, so maybe I should pick up a few more things for what ever I do next. Considering the time that it took between the two minis that I've done so far though, that might be in a couple of years. :lol:

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Dude, mix your paint 50:50 with water, you should be applying paint that is milky in consistency. Start with your black/white primer coat, then go for a coloured basecoat over the whole model. You want to be applying multiple thin coats of paint. After that, you can do whatever it is you want to make the model pop, whether that is dry brushing, edge highlighting or just drowning the fucker in wash. Matte spray finish is a good option if you are handling your models, but they shouldn't be glossy to begin with.

Also, you seem to be limited in paint choice, can't guarantee anything, but try a bit of mixing. It is what I used to do to get my preferred shade of green for my Salamanders. Might allow you to turn these 4 colours into something a little more interesting.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Or use Acrylic paints instead of oil based ones. Testors paints, for example, typically come with model planes and cars and stuff and they're oil based. Oil is a motherfucker to work with, imo. You don't even have to go in on the way too expensive Citadel paints (which are water based acrylic). Although, it can be worth doing so for the lighter colors like white and yellow and some metallics. But, I mean, most of my paints are Apple Barrel or Folk Art acrylics. The kind that you can buy at a Walmart or whatever for a quarter as much. And you get four times as much paint. And you don't have to water anything down unless you're making washes. It does still help to become a master of color mixing, though. And bonus here too, acrylics mix easier.