BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:28 am

So here's my latest thought while driving down the coast for the past several days:

What if we get rid of Skill as a stat? Now that Skill is used for all kinds of actions instead of just tests of skill. Just make the Skill die an Action die and be done with it. Spend an Action = spend an Action die.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 pm

stubby wrote:So here's my latest thought while driving down the coast for the past several days:

What if we get rid of Skill as a stat? Now that Skill is used for all kinds of actions instead of just tests of skill. Just make the Skill die an Action die and be done with it. Spend an Action = spend an Action die.
What exactly does this change?
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 am

stubby wrote:So here's my latest thought while driving down the coast for the past several days:

I kind of like that. It makes Actions and Reactions easier to keep track of (If you spent the die on your turn, you can't use it for reactions), and in general goes along with the other dice-spending mechanics.
It would definitely still need to be in the statblocks in the same way as Skill, but the semantics of how they're used become a bit easier.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am

Silent-sigfig wrote:What exactly does this change?
Mechanically, nothing. In terms of game concepts, it makes the connection between rolling a Skill die and spending an Action a lot more immediate and obvious, and it makes it more obvious that you roll the die for all kinds of actions and not just the ones based on skillfulness.

So now instead of rolling a Skill Die and spending an Action to see if your action is successful, you'd roll and spend an Action Die - the same as you roll and spend a Benny or roll and spend an SN die. It makes the game's dice mechanics one step more unified: rolling a die also spends it.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I see no problem with a simple name change like that.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:16 pm

So would you get multiple action dice if you have multiple melee weapons? So you can counterattack? Or are you doing away with that altogether?

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:So would you get multiple action dice if you have multiple melee weapons? So you can counterattack? Or are you doing away with that altogether?
Attacks are a special case (you can also attack with multiple ranged weapons, if you're piloting a mech or a fighter jet or something). It still spends the die, but you get to roll it a bunch of times for attack rolls and melee damage and so forth. The die is still spent, though; you don't get to use it to bail or sprint or anything else once it's spent on attacking.

I had a funny idea that one of your options for Overskill (which would have to get its name changed also, now that it wasn't skill-related, probably to OTT for Over The Top Action or something so we could have OTTers) would be to just get another action, but it ended up being better just keeping it as-is. Largely because of the multiple-rolls problem when you have a bunch of weapons, leading to many potential extra actions instead of just one, but also because multiplying actions can add a whole bunch of dice of effectiveness rather than just one when you're operating large weapons or machinery.

I thought about changing it to just attacking multiple times with the same weapon, which seemed like a cool thematic solution but still ended up being unbalanced for larger weapons. Parrying multiple times also seemed cool but ends up slowing down the carnage too much. So none of my ideas for mechanical changes panned out, but the name change still seems like it'll give players fewer buzzwords to keep track of.

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I like the word "skill" here, because it gives a bit more meaning to the die roll, and explains why different minifigs might have different sized dice.

Merlok
Champion
Champion

Post by Merlok » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am

Any updates on a PDF for the 2010 Rulebook?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Currently scheduled for October 2008.

Merlok
Champion
Champion

Post by Merlok » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Now that's funny. Did you mean 2018 or 2008?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:26 pm

It's been scheduled for 2008 since 2006. I can't change the schedule now, we're too committed

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm

What happens if a parrying unit hits the OverSkill? Does it apply additional Deflection?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Another question: if a minifig with Deflection suffers a non-die type of damage (like crashing into a wall from high velocity knockback), does this damage ignore Deflection?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Texhnophille wrote:What happens if a parrying unit hits the OverSkill? Does it apply additional Deflection?
Sure, that seems reasonable
Texhnophille wrote:Another question: if a minifig with Deflection suffers a non-die type of damage (like crashing into a wall from high velocity knockback), does this damage ignore Deflection?
If there aren't any dice to eliminate, then Deflection cancels 1d6 worth of Damage points.