Need inspiration...

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

militaryfreak
Officer

Need inspiration...

Post by militaryfreak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I am currently working on a ship for a currently "too be announced" project. But Im a little stumped. this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, and Im not really sure where to go. specifically if anyone has advice or inspiration for shaping the bow and bridge, Im open to hear your advice.

*Edit* This ship is to minifig scale

"The crashing arrival of a large stone does much to humble an arrogant foe"

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Re: Need inspiration...

Post by motorhead fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Just fill it with guns.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Broad strokes:
- What are your favorite ships from sci-fi and from history? What elements do you want to copy, eliminate, or improve on from those?
- What is the role of this ship? Cargo? War? Part of a fleet or a loner? Generic or hero ship?
- Cool spaceships have cool names. What's the cool name for this one?
- Don't be afraid to copy things that you like from other designs
- If there is something that isn't working, just make up a reason why it does work. If the ship is boxy, just pretend that was the plan all along

Nitty-gritties:
- Design interior elements as you design exterior elements, especially around the bridge. That way you make sure the layout is sensible.
- Do a lot of table scraps for greebles, guns, furniture. Use these smaller elements to develop a design language for the whole ship.
- Build small scale models or do sketches to get a direction for blocking out the size of different sections.
- Consider including more headroom in the ship than just 5 bricks so you can have things taller than a minifig.
- If this is going to become real plastic, plan ahead about how it will be displayed. One thing I learned is that LEGO really hates long overhangs so you have to either support the ends or build a very sturdy internal frame.
- What level of access do you want to the interior? You need to plan play features like that ahead of time as well.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm

look at spaceships and warships from a variety of sources. Also look at other stuff and take design elements from that
Image Image

BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Post by BriksKrieg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I personally like to take ideas from UNSC and covnenant ships.
:troll:
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.
ninja_bait wrote:I am vaguely aware that head pats are a weeb thing and weeb things are usually lewd

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:02 am

Put a big face on the front.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 am

A star destroyer styled bridge is an invitation for your bridge to get alpha struck, IMO. I mean that's what I'd do as an opening move against that setup. Assuming you don't have shields or aegis or some other defense mechanism that's reliable.

Weapons? The space where the hull sticks out to accommodate the engines looks, aesthetically, great to mount some huge 4-barrel guns.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

Omega Prime
Cannon Fodder

Post by Omega Prime » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 pm

[quote="AZKAMAT"]A star destroyer styled bridge is an invitation for your bridge to get alpha struck, IMO./[quote]
True, that would be a terrible idea Irl, but this is brikwars! Make a massive command deck for all you care! If you really want to be impressive but still be logically correct, call the giant star destroyer bridge a secondary bridge or make an excuse for having one.
Besides, if we were going to build by real life rules, the best designs would be massive cylinders covered with missile tubes and gun batteries, so really, cool a s t h e t i c s > conventional design here
gotta love knitting needles. i can make you a scarf. i can make a hat. i can stab your eyes out. i can make mittens.

What was that middle part again?

i can make a hat

xhado123
Battlefield General

Post by xhado123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am

Ralph McQuarrie is an excellent artist to emulate for ship design and lends well to brik construktion
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit.