RedRover's WIP Magik System

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny, Falk

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: RedRover's WIP Magik System

Post by aoffan23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 pm

What about trans-black/brown? Or giltter-trans colours?
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:45 am

I think glitter falls into the artificial category.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 am

stubby wrote:It'll be interesting to see how this interacts with other people's magic systems where the trans colors have different meanings.
I remember seeing this awhile back and even giving the very rough idea of my system linked to emotions / ideas instead to Scratch. I tried to devise a system that could be used without impeding too much onto anything that exists already. Essentially my system doesn't limit what you can do magik wise by the color of the conduit you use. I did want to give some reason as to: why IM uses light blue transparent, why Trion and other edge lords lean towards red trans, why Poland might use dark blue trans, why we always see necromancers with neon green, and why orange transparent is so popular etc. I know that system gives explanation, but I didn't want to limit colors in what they could do / be used for while still establishing relationships between them.

In all honesty, I might go back to the drawing board with some of the namings and relationships and structure it closer to the tree of life haha
Duerer wrote:I think glitter falls into the artificial category.
I would say either this or that the sparkles are impurities. The chart mentions the pure affinities so I would imagine there would be some variations, especial on the continuums or combinations of colors.
aoffan23 wrote:What about trans-black/brown?
Trans brown doesn't exist, at least in official lego terms, so I didn't make it.

As for black I have an explanation for excluding but also a place to fit it in if it needs to be included.

Excluding: I mostly based the colors off of what was available in the gem piece, and trans black is not available. I also always thought of it as smoke/glass (glass argument could be made for for other colors as well)

Including: I thought of it as a darker (in color and nature) version of balance. Trans Clear is thought to be the strongest as it is all encompassing. Few wield it to its potential, and those that do seek true balance in detachment, so they are not really using it against anyone. While clear balance is detached, trans black would be an aggressive balance, like those that want to bring piece by eliminating everything. Colette used a good example in chat: The Jedi way vs Anakin's corrupted jedi way (not sith way though)
Last edited by RedRover on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 am

RedRover wrote:The Jedi way vs Anakin's corrupted jedi way (not sith way though)
From my point of view the Jedi are corrupt!
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am

RedRover wrote:I remember seeing this awhile back and even giving the very rough idea of my system linked to emotions / ideas instead to Scratch. I tried to devise a system that could be used without impeding too much onto anything that exists already.
I don't think anything impedes anything else unless you try to force it to be universal. Like "RED TRANSPARENT ONLY WORKS THIS ONE WAY" rather than "red transparent works this way in this system of magic." Even if 99% of all minifigs use that system of magic, it still leaves things open for magic users coming in who have a completely different system, and having interesting interactions between them.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm

I'd like to see how this is implemented in-game and how things like GP affect rolls and stuff.
I'm pretty hyped for any battle/playtest that you might do.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Texhnophille wrote:I'd like to see how this is implemented in-game and how things like GP affect rolls and stuff.
I'm pretty hyped for any battle/playtest that you might do.
I never really thought about battle implications, it was more for lore and background fluff. Battle implications could be interesting, I’d probably have to add strengths and weakness

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 pm

RedRover wrote:Trans brown doesn't exist, at least in official lego terms, so I didn't make it.
Trans brown is what some people call trans black. It can also go by trans smoke (I think that's the official Lego term for it).

I like both of your explanations for trans black, though I'm not sure which I like better.

Is glow-in-the-dark trans included in this? That could be an interesting one (though I imagine it wouldn't pop up very often, being a retired colour and all).
Last edited by aoffan23 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Did you make a wiki page for this? If not, you should. Then, we can link it to the Transparent Elements page.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:Did you make a wiki page for this? If not, you should. Then, we can link it to the Transparent Elements page.
Maybe I will work on this today. I have a bad wiki track record as far as keeping up to date.

Edit: Update, I made some wiki edits today on IM! Planning more for tomorrow. With that said, the likelyhood of me making a wiki page for this is higher!

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 pm

RE Trans Brown, Trans Brown is the official name of the smoked color.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.