Trying to fit DMC's Dante into BW (plus some stat cards)

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Texhnophille
Minifig

Trying to fit DMC's Dante into BW (plus some stat cards)

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 am

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.
Updated version
Spoiler
Show
Texhnophille wrote:Here's the updated Stat Card.
Last edited by Texhnophille on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Re: Trying to fit DMC's Dante into BW (plus some stat cards)

Post by Bragallot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 am

Fig looks cool but I think a peach face and white hair might work better for him.

The ability seems cool but is it 1 extra ability per turn or 1 per roll (giving him potentially an infinite number?).

I wouldn't make OverSkill rolls give even more actions since it's gonna lead to a lot of rolling and really slowing the pace, just grabbing the extra d6 damage is nice enough (especially against armoured / shielded targets). Remember 'cos he's a Hero he's gonna Overskill it about half the time normally speaking.

Heroes can already parry any attacks as if they were holding shields so Royal Guard may need to be reworked, maybe to giving him a bonus level of deflection.

Add a cliché (Demon Hunter I guess) and a CP cost for the ability and you're good to go I think.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 am

Bragallot wrote:Fig looks cool but I think a peach face and white hair might work better for him.

The ability seems cool but is it 1 extra ability per turn or 1 per roll (giving him potentially an infinite number?).

I wouldn't make OverSkill rolls give even more actions since it's gonna lead to a lot of rolling and really slowing the pace, just grabbing the extra d6 damage is nice enough (especially against armoured / shielded targets). Remember 'cos he's a Hero he's gonna Overskill it about half the time normally speaking.

Heroes can already parry any attacks as if they were holding shields so Royal Guard may need to be reworked, maybe to giving him a bonus level of deflection.

Add a cliché (Demon Hunter I guess) and a CP cost for the ability and you're good to go I think.
I'd like to give him white hair myself, but I just don't have any at the moment. Don't know about the peach face, that yellow nexo knight head looks so damn cocky.

It's 1 extra action per turn. So if you roll 4 or 5 against a sword's UR of 3, you get 1 extra action, or 2 extra actions on Overskill, depending on your style. If you roll Overskill on that additional action, you won't get any additional actions, so it doesn't stack. The max amount of actions such character can get per turn is 4, including the initial one.
As for the "extra damage vs. extra actions" thing, the ability doesn't force you to go for additional actions if you just want a bonus d6 damage. I wanted to transition the crazy matrix-like action of DMC into turn-based format. Additional actions should work best in "one versus many" scenario, where you have a ton of enemies to kill and you need to maneuver around the battlefield and manage your pool of additional actions.

The Royal Guard is supposed to work even without a weapon in hand, but you have a point, I'll try to do something about it.

I have that Cliché in the description, above the Armament section. The Stylish ability costs 4 CP.

So here's the updated version: I added the ability to Taunt an enemy and made Royal Guard Disrupt enemies if your parry roll exceeds theirs.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am

Another brainstorm incoming.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm

That's better. Is he likely to be bare-handed at any point in time though? It seems he either has 2 pistols or a pistol and sword combo. I guess he could lose them by failing a parry against a heavy or two-handed weapon, but if that happens he's either gonna die or be stuck in combat and have to withdraw and not be able to parry if another attack comes in without failing to withdraw. It seems very situational.

The troopers seem cool. The line of sight thing is something I've also put on my Neo-Prussian infantry, not so much for reactions but for being able to shoot stuff. The other abilities I hadn't thought about. I guess red-shirting for a guy who's carrying the objective or has a better weapon could be worth sacrificing a fig for even if it's to save (and disrupt) a similar fig.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 am

Bragallot wrote:That's better. Is he likely to be bare-handed at any point in time though? It seems he either has 2 pistols or a pistol and sword combo. I guess he could lose them by failing a parry against a heavy or two-handed weapon, but if that happens he's either gonna die or be stuck in combat and have to withdraw and not be able to parry if another attack comes in without failing to withdraw. It seems very situational.
That's where the parry disruption comes in. If his skill roll is higher than the attacker's, the latter becomes Disrupted. Since parrying happens mostly on the attacker's turn, this allows you to disengage from the enemy on your turn, provided there are no additional enemies in CC. And even if there are, you still have a chance to get Overskill on the initial roll that will give you 3 parries.

UPDATE

I've playtested Dunte against a squad of Greymachine Mercs (4 ranged guys, 1 CC guy, 1 BFG guy, 1 Hero). First of all, choosing style at the beginning of each turn is too limiting; you can either have 3 parries, 3 CC attacks, 3 shots or 3 dashes. That's boring. So I've got rid of these styles completely, now you can do anything of the above in any order, e.g.: slash, shoot and then dash. With this tweak enabled, Dunte had almost managed to kill the entire squad in two turns. The only reason he failed was the fact that the BFG guy said "fuck it" and decided to blow everything up with 4" 2d10 explosion, even though all remaining combatants were within the blast radius.

Here's the updated Stat Card.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:40 am

So, as a follow-up, I thought what DMC4's Nero would look like, and here's what I've managed to come up with.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 am

I like the Dunte update, gives more freedom (FREEEDOOOOM!). You'll just have to clarify when the special parry disrupts.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am

The Disruption may kick in either when Dunte's Parry roll is higher than an enemy's Attack roll, or as part of a Heroic Feat rolloff. Gonna have to playtest it to see which one works better, but I'm currently leaning towards the former.
I also wonder if I could implement the Devil Trigger system into BrikWars format. I think creating some kinda pool system of Almighty Bennies is a good place to start. So that whenever you do something insanely stylish, you gain a Benny d6 and can use it at any moment to become [devil triggered] and add those Bennies to your Armor, Move, Skill, or all of the above for a turn or two.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Probably the former yeah since you only get one Feat and you might wanna use it for something different. I'm not familiar with these games (although I know of them) but giving him a Benny if he manages a certain number of kills (3 seems reasonable) on a single turn could work.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 am

Having posted Greymachine PMC in the Armoury, I decided to create stat cards for some units and heroes. As always, feedback is appreciated.
These guys can be used as close encounters kamikazes to make use of their tendency to explode and torch everything upon death. I increased their armor for better survivability since they will want to get as close to their enemies as possible.

Revok is the "end-game boss" type of hero that should only be present once shit hits the fan. No staff or wand for SN dice, but he can use his 2d8 for range and firing arcs and add to them 1d12 phased damage to go full sith-lord mode. He can also attempt to mind control enemies with his SN dice which makes him even more nasty. And yeah, two energy shields, because why the fuck not.

Feats-wise, Stoker is a support type of Hero, buffing his allies' Armor and shit like that. He can also be a reliable tank, having both the nova sword and the shield to parry incoming attacks. Maybe I'll revise him one day, but right now I'm happy with the way he turned out.

This guy needs no introduction to those of you who participated in my first Forum Battle. I decided to give him the specialty that allows him to increase his minigun's damage output. Plus one energy shield in order to make that option of standing still more appealing.

This one I had a great fun putting together, mostly because of the Green Transparent mechanic. Since Green Transparent element represents Pandemic and destruction and stuff, I decided to increase Rossy's GT Rockets' critical chance by two points, so that when rolling explosive d10s, the Overkill occurs on 8+ instead of 10+. And yeah, 4+ invun save because he's a Maniac. Giving him extra HP just seems kinda "meh".

Nothing too fancy about Gunny though. He's got a jetpack, he's got a Heroic Artifakt, giving him more flexibility in terms of feats, and some defensive options with his smartgun's free reaction shots.

Overkill's thrust movement is limited to his standard on-foot movement and doesn't include flying since he's obviously clad in heavy armor. As for the rest of his abilities, I just wanted to create something overpowered.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 am

BeerOps :D I like the hazard armour and the fact you can make them explode.
he can use his 2d8 for range and firing arcs and add to them 1d12 phased damage to go full sith-lord mode.
mother of lord :shock:

I didn't realize you could change the weapons' stats.

I agree with the more random nature of that 4+ roll thing on the Maniac instead of giving HP.

I think you can guess who my favourite is... :D
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am

Bragallot wrote:
I didn't realize you could change the weapons' stats.
Well, I'm a sucker for homebrewing new rules, and it's not like I intend to make my Forum Battles with 100% vanilla rules anyway.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 am

No, I meant, that it was actually possible to change them on the stat card generator thingy. ;) Or are you using other software?
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:41 am

I do use westnordost's stat card generator, yeah.