Prologue: Gordell's Grove

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

Prologue: Gordell's Grove

Postby Sir Sporktimus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm

'Gordell's Grove is not a moon blessed by much', the old man thought as he pushed through the raking autumnal winds.  

No abundance of fuel and resources, no inherent powers like the worlds that gave rise to space nations and star empires. In the tome of the galactic expanse, Gordell's Grove was a footnote in the seventh appendix. The moon was known for only one thing, which in a way precipitated his presence - it was home to a particularly large and unpleasant variety of demon squash. The massive gourds pulled foul nutrients from some well of evil deep within the surface of the moon, giving Gordell's Grove a permeating eldritch power that attracted demons, ghosts, and worst of all students. The Gordell Academy of Supernatural Science had now been open on the moon for over a century, attracting anyone who could afford astronomical tuition fees to learn how to channel the true powers of the universe.

What had led Halvard to retire from the field of magical archaeology and become a teacher there, he'd never know. Maybe he'd been looking for a way to further his understanding of the incorporeal beings who held the universe in their clutch. Instead he'd gotten twenty years of trying to keep the brats of royal families from killing each other with newfound magical power. He was tired of it, and ready for a change. Finally, he approached his quarry.

"Professor Evergreen," he grumbled in greeting, "might I request a word?"

"Oh! Ah, yes!" A familiar voice piped from the top of a prodigiously large gourd, and momentarily Mississippi Evergreen peered down from the edge. "If this is about that incident with the tea kettle, I really am sorry and..."

"Nothing of the sort." Doctor Halvard Moon adjusted his spectacles. Miss Mississippi was a recent addition to the Gordell Faculty; a professor of alien geography noted for her eccentricity. Along with much of the staff, he'd learned never to acknowledge her flowing blue tail. "Are you familiar with the Crimson Eye?"

Mississippi slid down the side of the squash, landing deftly on her feet. "Not really - secret society, finds magical artifacts, sends spiffy letters?"

"That's the one. A letter arrived from them this morning. They lost a covert transport ship with a valuable cargo over Didaxi Prime..."

"I don't know that one."

"It's an outlying world; sandy. There were some sights worth seeing before scavengers and junkers tore the place up. Anyways, they're asking for two of our faculty to track down their shipment. In exchange they'll give Gordell access to whatever it is they've found. The board wants me there, and I've been allowed to choose my companion."

"And you want me?" Miss Evergreen blinked in confusion. "I've hardly been here six months."

"Didaxi Prime is home to some treacherous terrain." Professor Moon shrugged in the cold. "You're the most knowledgeable member of our staff when it comes to alien environments - and frankly, you're less likely to get stuck in a sandbog or eaten by a Ravenous Rotworm than most of my peers."

Professor Evergreen smiled. "Of course! I'd be happy to join - monitoring pumpkin radiology was getting quite boring, anyhow."

"Excellent. I'll notify the board immediately; you'll want to pack your things." Halvard turned, making his way out of the dubious orchard and towards the twisted towers of Gordell. Mississippi hurried next to him, a battered grimoire in hand."So what are we trying to find, exactly?" she queried.

"Apparently they had little time to study the artifacts before the crash, but they were documented as 'antique magical apparatus'. I suspect they'll supply us with more details once we're bound for Didaxi."

"That could mean anything." Evergreen shook her head.

"They also mentioned that the artifacts could be disastrous in the wrong hands. Then again, what artifact isn't."

Professor Mississippi Evergreen bounced along next to Halvard Moon, clambering along the trail out of the gourd patch. A note of concern crossed her face. "Do you think it'll be dangerous?"

The aged professor shrugged, yawning. "Oh, not too likely. Didaxi Prime is a quiet world mostly, and a few petty scavengers shouldn't be any trouble for two of Gordell's most powerful professors."

She nodded, relaxing. "Yeah. I mean, what could go wrong?"

Upcoming: The Crimson Eye - a BrikwaRPG.
Sir Sporktimus
Minifig

Re: Prologue: Gordell's Grove

Postby Tzan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:42 pm

:D
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby ninja_bait » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 pm

elegantly soaped.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Postby Duerer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Dang, I was just thinking about you earlier on today. Welcome back. Nice presentation of this soap btw.
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Postby Sir Sporktimus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Duerer wrote:Dang, I was just thinking about you earlier on today. Welcome back. Nice presentation of this soap btw.

Thanks! Nice to be back. There was a long brickless gap in my travels, but I had to get back into the fray.  :)
Tzan wrote:Violence is a renewable resource.

Natalya wrote:Overwatch died. Put this in your profile if you miss Overwatch.
Sir Sporktimus
Minifig

Return to Magic Soap Opera Board