[JJJ19] Return of the SigFig

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Bookwyrm
Champion
Champion

[JJJ19] Return of the SigFig

Post by Bookwyrm » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm

PREVIOUS EPISODE: (~X~)

(Recommended Listening:)
Evening, somewhere in the kingdom of Eldoth.

Village Woman: No, please! You’ve already taken my husband, please, not my son! Stay back! I have a knife! I will cut you!

Arch-Fiend: A knife? That doesn’t sound very peaceful OR stable, does it boys?

Dimmy: Dimmy! Dimmy Dimmy!

Blokkelganger: ...

Arch-Fiend: Very true, teehee! It would be more pleasant for them if they’d just lie down and submit! A shame that you won’t listen, you’ll just have to learn of our peaceful ways by force now! :D :D :D

Arch-Fiend: If they won’t lay down their weapons and pass into the next life peacefully, then I suppose there’s nothing to to but—

Dimmy: DIMMY DIMMY!

Arch-Fiend: A portal gate? But what...

*crackle* *brzzzzt* *zrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRR*

Arch-Fiend: Get back! Everyone get b—

*kaa-zzZZRRRRCCH!!!*

Bookwyrm: I am Quantum Surfer Bookwyrm, Avatar of The Author and Custodian of Axeleron! I know not the reason why thou have called me out from my imprisonment, but thy folly has drawn the attention of the Author, and has deemed you a threat to the Brikverse. Please consider your next actions carefully. A good, enjoyable, fair fight is preferred, but a swift surrender will also be accepted. Either way, you will be removed from this universe. I am The Author’s will, his Red Pen, and the error of your existence will be corrected in swift order.

CONTINUED...

~~~~~~~

Additional Shots:

A few more angles with the “night lighting.” The blue/violet light makes the neon portal elements especially vivid.

Some comparison shots in more normal light so you can get a better look at the details

A closeup of Bookwyrm in his Vermillion Edge Raiment and some of the transparent effects.

A couple overhead shots to give an Overwatch of the scene itself

Last edited by Bookwyrm on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bolicob12
Officer

Re: [JJJ] Return of the SigFig

Post by Bolicob12 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Love the fire details :D

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm

Just Fucking Awesome
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 am

Nice special effects! The blue lightning cloud is super cool.

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Style - 10
Substance - 8
Photography - 7 (some too bright, some too dark)
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:14 am

Style - 10 - the technical skill and part usage here are beyond each doubt

Substance - 9 - concluded vignette with nicely designed baseplate, and so many nice details here (I especially like how he shields the fleeing family in the background)

Photography - 8 - since I assume the blue lighting is on purpose most of the time, and it really accentuates the transparent parts

Theme - 10 - seamlessly continues your Ragnablok storyline
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Fantastic buildup and entrance!

Bookwyrm
Champion
Champion

Post by Bookwyrm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks gang for all the compliments! :lol:

Part Two is considered as such only for story purposes, and shouldn't factor into judging.

Part 2:

Arch-Fiend: Ahhh! No! Please! You wouldn’t hit a minidoll, would you? I wouldn’t hurt anyone!

Bookwyrm: Don’t give me that line, I can almost smell the Ruinous Peace emanating from you. It’s tainting the very air around you. Beg for your existence all you want, filth, you’ll get the same response you gave to those innocent NPCs from me. What are your vile ilk doing on my planet, and are there any more of your verminous underlings here?

Arch-Fiend: Please! I don’t know anything! I’m just middle management! We just sensed untouched territory through a rift and followed the trail here! We didn’t know this area was protected by a Quantum Surfer!

Bookwyrm: Hmmh, more rifts are bypassing the Plot and allowing access to this world. This isn’t good. You. Scum. What are you called?

Arch-Fiend: Uhhh, Staesciee?

Bookwyrm: Well then, Staesciee, you tell your boss Pacifass and whoever is in charge of those damn blokbots to stay the hell off Axeleron, or Author help me, I will personally hunt down every last one of his miserable lackeys, including yourself, and teleport them directly into Brikthulhu’s labyrinthine, non-euclidian colon. Is that abundantly clear?

Arch-Fiend: Ah, yes, well I…

Bookwyrm: Don’t bother answering that question. Greater Banish Monster.

*YEET*

Bookwyrm: Paxophages. Disgusting creatures.

???: Couldn’t agree more lad, glad to see you took care of this little problem!

Bookwyrm: Do my eyes deceive me? Is that you, Vasith Vindelvuur you old fart?

Vindelvuur: Indeed! It is good to stand before you once again, young master Jareth.

Bookwyrm: Actually, since the Sundering, I’ve been going by just Bookwyrm now. You know, Author stuff.

Vindelvuur: Been going by? In what circles? Did you often have the need to be addressed formally by the aberrations you shared the Plot Hole with?

Bookwyrm: Point taken. But enough about all that rot, what are you doing here? I scanned the planet with the very clairvoyance spells you yourself taught me countless times during my imprisonment, and I never picked up any Hammerheart technology on the planet, so you can’t have been on Axeleron this whole time.

Vindelvuur: Much has happened in the Brikverse since you vanished beyond Axeleron, and the Majistik Order recalled my contingent back to my homeworld following our time together. They had need of my future sight to prepare for events that are now beginning to come to pass.

Bookwyrm: Let me guess, Ragnablok?

Vindelvuur: Ragnablok indeed.

Bookwyrm: It seems like everything is related to Ragnablok these days.

Vindelvuur: It is the end of literally all of our existence, so yes, everything is related to Ragnablok these days. The fabric of the Brikverse is so strained and damaged now that even seemingly innocuous things can smash holes in it with almost no effort, and pulling a Quantum Surfer out of a metatextual prison beyond the borders of the Outer Dark is significantly less innocuous, hence the sudden appearance of those Heralds on Axeleron.

Bookwyrm: Okay, so it was you that pulled me out of the Plot Hole, not those arch-fiends. I was wondering about that. Also, why did you call them Heralds, is that what we’re referring to the bastards as now?

Vindelvuur: Heralds, as in Heralds of Ragnablok. We’ve seen a drastic spike in the activity of certain groups of the Brikverse’s denizens since the tremors of Ragnablok began some months past, especially amongst those that follow the banners of the Four Horsemen of the Brickpockalypse. Creatures of Peace, like those that you just slew, dungans, anorak rules lawyers, entire legions of blokbots, and more. They’ve begun to coalesce.

Bookwyrm: Coalesce? Wait, you mean they’re ORGANIZING?? What the fuck?

Vindelvuur: Indeed, and that is not the worst of things. Entire planets have been wiped off the star-maps in the past months with no knowledge of what happened, and many more are under attack by a great green tide of destruction.

Bookwyrm: Uhhhh… Green?

Vindelvuur: Ye gods boy, you ask so many questions. I will explain more on the way if you wish, but time is of the essence at this point and we must get moving.

Bookwyrm: Whoa whoa whoa, wait half a second. First of all, I’ve literally been stuck outside of existence for the past century and a half, you’ll have to forgive me if I’m a little out of the loop on this whole End of All Reality thing. I’m powerful, not omniscient. Second, I can’t leave right now! You saw how easy it was to free me from the Plot Hole, now Metavoth is trying to break free too and eat the planet, and the only guy besides me that knows how to deal with it is like 17 years old and just got stabbed in the kidney on his first real adventure. I appreciate that you freed me, but I need to take advantage of that to deal with this situation before going anywhere!

Vindelvuur: Oh nonsense, Axeleron will be fine without you micromanaging it to death for a few months. This is a real and present danger that is going to cause an exponential growth of problems if it reaches here, and you are key in making sure that doesn’t happen, but to do that, you will need to trust me. After all, I am a Majistik of Divination, I see the path to victory you must walk, and that path is leading you away from here for the time being.

Bookwyrm: *Sigh.* I suppose you’ve already looked into those magic looking-glasses of yours and saw the answer I was going to give, yes?

Vindelvuur: Indeed! And we must depart at once, we are running out of time before the crossover window closes.

Bookwyrm: I’d forgotten about how much you like to use the word “Indeed…”

Vindelvuur: Indeed I do!

Bookwyrm: *Louder sigh.* Well, I guess this was to be expected. Now that I have nigh absolute power here on Axeleron, it only makes sense the universe would force me to go galavanting off away from it as soon as I get back home. Alright, lead the way then. I’ll open up a Dimensional Gate, where are we headed?

Vindelvuur: To meet with another of your kind. It’s high time you finally paid a visit to Medivo!

End

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Excitement!
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Style: 7
The effects are great, as is the group of assorted heralds of Ragnablok. I also like the way you've made the ground out of hexagonal plates, it makes it feel a bit like it's taking place on a game board. That being said, I kind of wish the landscape was a little more populated.

Substance: 7
The effects are very well put together, and I imagine they were a pain to set up. That being said, there's not really much else to comment on build-wise.

Photography: 7
I like the way the night lighting brings out the fluorescent colours, but I don't find the "night" effect super convincing. It would have been cool to see it transition from normal lighting to night lighting as the portal opened.

Theme: 9
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Vindelvuur: To meet with another of your kind. It’s high time you finally paid a visit to Medivo!
Ohshit whaddap.