Killing people bare-handed

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Killing people bare-handed

Post by pesgores » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Something that bugs me is this:
The BrikWars Rulebook wrote:Minifigs lack the ability to clench their clawlike hands into fists, and the limited range of minifig leg motion means that the groins of their enemies will never be exposed to their nonexistent knees. As a result, unarmed combat between minifigs is an almost complete waste of time. The only worthwhile use for Bare Hands is in grabbing someone else's dropped weapon.

Bare Hands cannot be used to Attack or Parry. They may only be used to Shove, and only if both hands are empty, in a desperate attempt to get away from the real warriors who remembered to come armed.
What? Why can't I kill someone with my bare hands? Can't I punch someone to death if I have the patience to do so?

(I have a way of doing this, but let us hear Rayhawk's explanation first).
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 pm

the way i see it, this is a compromise on the actual physical minifig. Since something with hands like that probably couldn't punch something, it's all well and justified. If you do want to hit things with bare hands, see the 2001 rules, there's a few bits in there about this very situation.

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 am

Bare hands are good for shoving minifigs off of cliffs. Cliffs kill.

Otherwise you might want to follow birdman's advice.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 am

Have you ever actually tried punching somebody to death? It's a freakin' pain in the ass. Playing a game to simulate punching somebody to death would be like playing a game to simulate filing your income taxes, that's like the opposite of fun.

Now that I think of it, the 2001 rules actually were a lot like a simulation of tax accounting.

2001 actually did cover fistfighting pretty well - first you punch to Stun, then you punch the Stunned minifig to knock him Unconscious, and then once he's Unconscious you can punch him some more to try and land the killing blow. Like I said, a pain in the ass, non-lethal stuff like that just slows down the game for no real reason. Surely you can pick up a loose rock or something with which to bash the other guy's brains in instead.

Eliminating punching was more of an action-focus thing than anything else. I wanted to keep players focused on doing things that are exciting, and not give them options to do things that are boring. Because if 2001 taught me anything, it's that a lot of wargamers are just dumb and they'll jump at any opportunity to not have fun.

ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Post by ahp77 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:41 am

Rayhawk wrote:Have you ever actually tried punching somebody to death? It's a freakin' pain in the ass. Playing a game to simulate punching somebody to death would be like playing a game to simulate filing your income taxes, that's like the opposite of fun.
I've been experimenting with minifig flexibility, and found that, contrary to popular belief, minifigs can kick their enemies' balls.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:49 am

A hero with an appropriate cliché could make his fists count as weapons or something through a Feat.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

Maybe just to make pesgores happy:

An unarmed attack is a use rating of two. After you hit the use rating flip a coin. Heads it hits and deals damage, tails you hit and deal NO damage. If you hit you deal one damage to target minifig, BUT said target gets to double their defence.

That way it's much harder to kill someone if you wanted to, but an angry mob sure could get the job done (or someone who rolls all ones).

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 pm

How about trained army guys who aren't any heroes but still can kill someone easily when bare-handed?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, you could obviously make an ability for like 1CP or so to get rid of the coin flip. You could make another one as well to up the damage of the hit.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm

pesgores wrote:How about trained army guys who aren't any heroes but still can kill someone easily when bare-handed?
They can maybe kill somebody bare-handed if they aren't expecting it, but in BrikWars everyone is expecting it.

At best, a Hero might be able to hurt a regular soldier, and a soldier might be able to hurt a civilian. But it's still a waste of valuable playing time that you could be spending on real combat.

Shaeph
Cannon Fodder

Post by Shaeph » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:21 pm

maybe you could knock people out? I mean like for the entire game? that would be not as difficult as killing them but would still effectively remove them from the game
Spend each day as if it were your last.
------------------------------------------------------
"Weekends don't count unless you do something completely pointless." - Calvin

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 am

Rayhawk wrote:
pesgores wrote:How about trained army guys who aren't any heroes but still can kill someone easily when bare-handed?
They can maybe kill somebody bare-handed if they aren't expecting it, but in BrikWars everyone is expecting it.

At best, a Hero might be able to hurt a regular soldier, and a soldier might be able to hurt a civilian. But it's still a waste of valuable playing time that you could be spending on real combat.
What about something like a sneak attack? whenever a minifig makes an attack on a minifig that doesn't have a line sight to the minifig, their attack is instantly upgraded to a sneak attack? I'm just gonna go by DnD rules and say that a sneak attack does +1d6 damage. That said, a bare-handed minifig who would normally do 0 points of damage does 1d6 points of damage (but damn does having a knife help).

Incidentally, I'm going to have to agree with Mike. Beating someone to death bare-handed is really, really, really hard. Unless a minifig is specifically being curb-stomped, it's best to just shoot the bastard. Or of course, if your minifig is Bruce Lee. If your minifig is Bruce Lee (or knows brik-fu), then their hands count as small melee weapons. +2 CP.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:

What about something like a sneak attack? whenever a minifig makes an attack on a minifig that doesn't have a line sight to the minifig, their attack is instantly upgraded to a sneak attack? I'm just gonna go by DnD rules and say that a sneak attack does +1d6 damage. That said, a bare-handed minifig who would normally do 0 points of damage does 1d6 points of damage (but damn does having a knife help).

Incidentally, I'm going to have to agree with Mike. Beating someone to death bare-handed is really, really, really hard. Unless a minifig is specifically being curb-stomped, it's best to just shoot the bastard. Or of course, if your minifig is Bruce Lee. If your minifig is Bruce Lee (or knows brik-fu), then their hands count as small melee weapons. +2 CP.
Sneak-attack! that was my idea in the first post.

Close-Quarters-Combat.

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Well i have, after reading all the comments, come up with an easy solution that I feel emphasises Brikwars carnage. Bring a weapon. don't be a brikwussie. Quite brilliant, actually.
but in the case of not having a gun, he screams in frusturation and blows up, spraying acid-blood over his enemies.
Amen.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I know I'm necroing but this topic should stay alive, besides I'm using a heroic feat. personally I think that if a minifig is towering over another one the one who is about to be axed would be moving to suffer the most hilariously painful death possible instead of trying to fight back but if your minifig's a sissy he could punch which is punching someone once, this may give them a bloody nose but minifigs don't have them so it is futile. If your minifig is a hero who could incap an enemy in one punch then why is he punching instead of using the attacking minifig in a joust with the nearest wall