Forum Battles Thread (NEW RULE #5) (defunct)

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Forum Battles Thread (NEW RULE #5) (defunct)

Post by pesgores » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

The Official Forum Battles Thread

This thread contains all you need to know about all the forum battles created so far. Started by pesgores.

What is a Forum Battle?
-A Forum Battle is a BrikWars game that involves people from the forum. The players send their orders via PM to the Host, who then executes the orders on the battlefield, takes pictures and uploads them to the BrikWars Forum.
-It is currently limited to our Forum (BrikWars Forum), and I don't see any reason to put it elsewhere, since here it will be viewed by lots of people who really like it.

SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO PREVENT A FORUM BATTLE FROM BEING DISCONTINUED:

1: Don't put it on a commonly used area since it might get stepped on;
2: Don't put it on your bedroom floor (might happen the same as #1);
3: Don't put it where small children can get to it;
4: Don't put it somewhere where it will need to be moved;
5: Remember that some battles go on for months, so don't get all angry if your battle takes more than a week;
6: Post at least 1 turn per week so people (and you) won't forget your battle.

NOTE: Most suggestions were suggested by tahthing.

The Official Forum Battles Rules:
1-Every forum war must have a "Top Thread". This thread can be also the signup thread. In the Top Thread, the host most include links for all days/rounds/whatever you call it of the battle. This will help for the organisation of a trusty database.

2-Battles will only be put on the list when they are finished

3-Hosts may choose or not to include a deadline for the players to send orders to their factions

4-Only plastic building blocks allowed. Digital builders are okay. Not using LEGO or any clone brand is not considered a Forum Battle and can't be posted here. I suggest Lesser Games section instead.

5-Hosts must post pictures of the battlefield before the signup stage begins, or in the same thread as signup.

The Official Forum Battles List
Last edited by pesgores on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:10 am, edited 57 times in total.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:41 am

I'd like to add one thing to the "official rules".
This is really an honor code rule, since there's no way to enforce it, but forum battle hosts should pre-plot their moves for the turn before looking at other players' orders; otherwise they would gain an unfair advantage. I played the first turn of Project TBD without this rule, and ended up practically wiping out one faction. (I did a do-over when I realized how unfair that was).

I see nothing wrong with Pesgores being mod. I mean, he did invent the topic of this forum and all. And SOMEBODY needs to move the top thread for Project TBD to this forum.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:33 am

Theblackdog wrote:I'd like to add one thing to the "official rules".
This is really an honor code rule, since there's no way to enforce it, but forum battle hosts should pre-plot their moves for the turn before looking at other players' orders; otherwise they would gain an unfair advantage. I played the first turn of Project TBD without this rule, and ended up practically wiping out one faction. (I did a do-over when I realized how unfair that was).

I see nothing wrong with Pesgores being mod. I mean, he did invent the topic of this forum and all. And SOMEBODY needs to move the top thread for Project TBD to this forum.
Not bad thought, but still...

I guess players should take the weakest factions, but it is not obligatory, so I can't make it a rule.

Well, maybe I can.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 am

Actually, I don't think we need a rule about hosts taking the weakest faction. Natalya's battles have been my favorites so far, and in each of those she gave herself a relatively powerful faction. In each one I had fun trying to beat her. (The plan I developed to kill her cruiser in the Death War was never needed, but still). The rule about pre-plotting, though... from my own experience, it's very important.

Some new awards categories, like Best Scenario (most creative/fun team objectives and house rules) and Best Photography (self explanatory, and good photos are VERY important in forum battles) might also be a good idea.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:43 am

Good idea. Those awards will be up in the voting for the 2nd generation battles.

I think I'll add the Awards Description.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks. I can't wait.

Also: What about having the players and host of a battle nominate the battle's Best Character?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:11 am

Theblackdog wrote:Thanks. I can't wait.

Also: What about having the players and host of a battle nominate the battle's Best Character?
...then use the chosen characters in the voting?

Looks cool, but some battles don't have characters at all while others have lots of them.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:26 am

I'm talking about: people nominate characters, and then the person running the awards -- YOU -- chooses a single nominee. Every battle has some characters, even if it's just a unit which got a lot of kills or did something cool or entertaining.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:05 pm

If you ask me, hosts shouldn't even have their own teams if you want to be totally fair.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:46 pm

But what's the point of having a totally fair battle if the host doesn't get to have some fun too?
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Niflheim
Hero

Post by Niflheim » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 pm

When I make my forum battle, I plan on having my own faction that's weak and fodder. There going to be Hobos.

*~*Niflheim*~*

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:09 pm

the host could control things like weather and animals.
hehe 1 turn game when lightning hits everyone
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Or we could gravitate more towards a videogame-type format, where the host is a Game Master with an infinite supply of enemies for the players to fight as they perform their other objectives ... the thing I like about Natalya's battles is that she DOESN'T give you a "fair" battle, she gives you a challenge that a team of players has to take on.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Hmm.. GM. That sounds like a RPG online, only it would take longer. It would also be the ultimate campaign. Idea!
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:45 pm

MasterEcabob wrote:But what's the point of having a totally fair battle if the host doesn't get to have some fun too?
I agree with this opinion. If you don't feel comfortable about the way a certain host is going to run a certain game, then don't volunteer for that one. But they're the ones putting in all the work, so as long as their own players are happy with the setup, I don't think there's any reason they should feel any special obligation to live up to anyone else's standards of fairness.