What about Wings?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Ishnox
i don't know why i made this

What about Wings?

Post by Ishnox » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 pm

of the propulsion units (i.e. wheels, treads, legs, oars, sails, copter rotors, and thrusters) can wings count as propulsion units? of course, i can see the obvious problem of taking any ol' vehicle and slapping a couple plates on and automatically start flying around, but if a plane has two enormous wings and a back rotor, if that lil' rotor is shot off, the plane shouldn't just plummet to the ground!
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 am

If an object is what allows your creation to move then yes, it counts as a propulsion unit.

OPTIONAL PROPULSION UNITS YOU FORGOT ABOUT:

Archimedes Screws, jets, slave teams, horse (or other creature) drawn, springs, pontoons, repulsor-lifts, and pure force of will.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:59 am

the wings don't propell a plane so they don't count.
you can't just put wings on some thing and say this can flyy because it has wings.
if the wings flap then yes it can fly.
but if you take a airplane and remove its jet/propeller it wont fly.
the rule i would use is hte wings allow it to glide lossing 1/2 inch of height a turn unless hovering, if it hovers then a roll is taken if above 5 then its on a thermal which allows it to gain 1/2inch in height each turn as long as it hovers, each turn its hovering a roll is taken to see if the thermal remains if below 3 then the thermal vanishs.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 pm

tahthing wrote:the wings don't propell a plane so they don't count.
you can't just put wings on some thing and say this can flyy because it has wings.
But the wings DO keep the plane moving. Hey, look at a glider!

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
tahthing wrote:the wings don't propell a plane so they don't count.
But the wings DO keep the plane moving. Hey, look at a glider!
read my whole post...
wings on a glider are not propoltion a glider can not fly from a stop start on the ground it needs the energy of the wind and it will lose height, thats why gliders need to be taken to high hills where theres wind and a decent drop for a longer flight time
tahthing wrote:but if you take a airplane and remove its jet/propeller it wont fly.
the rule i would use is hte wings allow it to glide lossing 1/2 inch of height a turn unless hovering, if it hovers then a roll is taken if above 5 then its on a thermal which allows it to gain 1/2inch in height each turn as long as it hovers, each turn its hovering a roll is taken to see if the thermal remains if below 3 then the thermal vanishs
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:48 pm

TC is saying that if a plane is flying and being propelled by the engine, then the engine is shot off, the plane will continue to glide. IV is comparing this phenomenon to a glider, which gets its energy from great heights and is able to control its decent with wings.

I agree.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Most engines go boom. Tearing said flyer apart.
everyone < massam

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Blitzen wrote:TC is saying that if a plane is flying and being propelled by the engine, then the engine is shot off, the plane will continue to glide. IV is comparing this phenomenon to a glider, which gets its energy from great heights and is able to control its decent with wings.

I agree.
that is what im saying.
i think the confussion is the fact that i don't count gliding as flying.

Ishnox

Post by Ishnox » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanx everyone! i think i'll just use wings for show and have thrusters as the propulsion unit. BTW, IVhorseman or anyone, where can one find the official brikwars rules and stuff? like the additional propulsion units i didn't know about cause i can only find quikwars so can i get a link or something plz?
I Am.
Don't Doubt Me.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:22 pm

that's not really representative. think of aircraft motive units as a two-part job: the propulsion (engine) and the things that keep it in the air (wings). so you'd need both for the aircraft to continue flying.

tahthing

Post by tahthing » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

birdman wrote:that's not really representative. think of aircraft motive units as a two-part job: the propulsion (engine) and the things that keep it in the air (wings). so you'd need both for the aircraft to continue flying.
helicopters don't need wings other than to stay stable and harrias can hover with there vertical jets without wings.
wings just help like on a glider.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

harriers might as well be called a-grav, but helicopters need rotors, which are technically wings. just lots of them, spinning rapidly.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 pm

tahthing wrote:
Blitzen wrote:TC is saying that if a plane is flying and being propelled by the engine, then the engine is shot off, the plane will continue to glide. IV is comparing this phenomenon to a glider, which gets its energy from great heights and is able to control its decent with wings.

I agree.
that is what im saying.
i think the confussion is the fact that i don't count gliding as flying.
Neither do I bub, but gliding is still movement. I'm just talking flat out what will facilitate moving object C from point A to point B, so it can drop bomb D on target F.

ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Post by ahp77 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Blitzen wrote:IV is comparing this phenomenon to a glider, which gets its energy from great heights and is able to control its decent with wings.

Control its decent what?

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Handy guide to wings -

Blow off the wings, and it falls.

Handy guide to aircraft propulsion destruction-

Plane = Glides

Helicopter = Falls

Blimp = Drifts away
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.