Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Arkbrik wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:
Arkbrik wrote:Katanas can only be used for slashing. A longsword can skewer, hack, etc. A katana is also unable to parry as heavy attacks as a longsword can without breaking.
Have you ever actually held, or even attempted to swing a longsword?
I read it in a webcomic, surely it must be true?
To an extent. Longswords are incredibly heavy, and require a lot of strength and training to use properly. If you're skewering with a longsword, you'll be absolutely defenseless.

Katanas are also (generally) made out of steel, while most medieval longswords were Iron, which is heavier and breaks easier. Of course, the weight and girth of a longsword makes it a lot less fragile. Regardless, a Katana's not going to break unless you try to parry an absurdly heavy blow (ironically, a longsword could do it).

Katanas have their advantages of being lighter and more precise than the longsword. But you're right when you say they're not as versatile.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Longswords are incredibly heavy? Try 3 lbs.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Consider what these weapons were made for.

Katana is mostly but not exclusively a cutting edged weapon for slash edged attacks against wood? and light chainmail/padding style armour... if that.

Longswords are for battering the holy crap out of heavily armoured persons. You needed the extra brute force for Longswords due to the likely armour you would encounter.

Both were made for what they do and must have been good at it as they were a mainstay in their respective fields. They do not really compare.

There was a story from the Crusades that is similar.

A Moorish King wished to show off to some visiting Knights during an uneasy truce. Throwing a piece of silk into the air he asked one of the Knights to cut it in half.
The Knight swung his sword only to have the fine silk wrap around the blade as he attempted to cleaved at it.
Laughing the Moorish King threw the silk again and using a Tulwar he cut the silk in two with one stroke and smiled smugly at the Knights.
With one mighty swing a Knight split the Moorish King from his golden crown to his armoured chest. The truce ended.

Each tool to the job at hand.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 am

^^^ exactly ^^^

The Katana was/is awesome at cutting flesh, bone, and wood, but harder metal starts making it less effective. Both have their uses, but the Longsword is generally more effective.

Also blitzen, the longswords are closer to 7-10 pounds. Swing that around for a few minutes and note how winded you get.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 am

I would think all swords are made for their owners, ideally. I know the Scottish Longsword the Claymore comes up to the users chest and weighs a good 10-15 lbs. IIRC. In a fight you'll get tired no mater what your swinging. Adrenalin has an expiry date.

Can we get back to Hand to hand combat. I think it can and does kill. It's not as hard as you may think, no I haven't killed anyone but I still know what 'm talking about. :roll: (Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kung Fu and good old bare knuckles, forehead, elbows and knees.)

I know I'm new here but... Rules?.. Why not Fudge it? Or for them as don't want it in their games, leave it out. Simples.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 am

Warhead wrote:I would think all swords are made for their owners, ideally. I know the Scottish Longsword the Claymore comes up to the users chest and weighs a good 10-15 lbs. IIRC. In a fight you'll get tired no mater what your swinging. Adrenalin has an expiry date.

Can we get back to Hand to hand combat. I think it can and does kill. It's not as hard as you may think, no I haven't killed anyone but I still know what 'm talking about. :roll: (Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kung Fu and good old bare knuckles, forehead, elbows and knees.)

I know I'm new here but... Rules?.. Why not Fudge it? Or for them as don't want it in their games, leave it out. Simples.
Rayhawk more or less covered it. Beating someone to death is a long and arduous task. Take boxing for instance. They're professional fighters, and are punching the living crap out of each other. Several rounds go by, and MAYBE one guy passes out. To actually KILL someone bare-handed, you'd need to break bones and organs with your fists (IE, punching someone's brain out of their skull). Sure, a kung-fu master could possibly do that, but not your average joe minifig.

If you really want to have someone with hands that are lethal weapons, just classify their hands as small weapons. 1d6 damage, UR 2. There's no reason for them to cost any more or less than a regular weapon (if you use CP): Sure they may be weapons that can't be dropped and can hold other weapons, but they also can't be thrown to deal damage either.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:40 am

Oops, sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread. I thought I had read through it all but may have missed it. Ok, I'm satisfied. Superstrong minifigs really should be allowed to punch others through walls etc. Normal minifigs not so much.

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm

as far as average minifigs go melee is not really effective but with training you might be able to use your hands as random objects(try punching someone, you probably won't do it very well but if you are a black belt you can rupture their spleen)

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Don't forget the ninja death punch...it is possible, they proved it.
everyone < massam

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:14 pm

No it's not, and no 'they' didn't.

It's <i>really</i> hard to kill a resisting opponent, especially if you're exactly the same.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Watch fight science. It's pretty much reverse C.P.R. Instead of restarting the heart, you stop it. And ninjutsu is all about nerves, so you can immobilize your opponent.
everyone < massam

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:29 pm

CPR doesn't work like that. And ninjas? Are you honestly serious?

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Ninjutsu is a legitimate style. And CPR works by compressing the heart( I've taken CPR classes), that what the death punch does. Only, instead of merely compressing it, your goal is to bruise it, or puncture it.
everyone < massam

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Massam wrote:instead of merely compressing it, your goal is to bruise it, or puncture it.
That's the key word.

Ninjutsu is a serious martial art, but even though the hits are dangerous they are not deadly.

In fight science they showed how the punch paralyzed the heart for not even a half a second. When you sneeze your heart stops as well. Pretty much it's equivalent to making you sneeze. With more pain.

There are moves you can do that will knock your opponent unconscious with one hit, but usually that's if they are unaware and you have a lot of time to prepare.

Massam
Dimmy

Post by Massam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Dammit, that's what happens when you argue about something you saw a year ago. Oh well, I'm still sort of right.
everyone < massam