Myst, anyone?

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

jmatthew
Minifig

Myst, anyone?

Post by jmatthew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 am

Myst, Riven, etc.

Apart from Legos, these were what I played the most growing up. Even without mass-destruction or an ungodly amount of severed torsos and de-spleened corpses, the extensive backstory and ridiculously difficult puzzles made this my favorite game series of all time.

In my opinion, the fourth one was the best.

Actually, now that I think about it, I vividly recall constructing my own surreal landscapes out of Legos immediately after playing through the first game. I had absurd little puzzles and mechanical doo-hickies that didn't actually do anything together, apart from me saying "ok, that lever just made this bridge rotate so now you can access the chamber over on that island."
I made my little sister "play" through them.

God, I was such a nerd.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

I remember when myst came out I was too young to appreciate it. I proceeded to click about three things, get stuck in a loop, and call the game stupid.

Then I played with my neighbor's action figures. Guy had Predator guys, Alien aliens, a giant tub of jurrassic park crap... he even had the trailer!

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 am

That's one of those games I have but I never played.

NO, IT'S NOT COPIED OR PIRATED LIKE ALL MY OTHER GAMES ARE
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:49 am

I sorta liked it..
it had some nice graphics, but somehow I never really got past some of the puzzles and abandoned the game. (I was around 12 at that time)
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:23 pm

yeah, I was around 12 as well when I played the first one... the puzzles made so little sense so much of the time, but somehow I managed to get through it... I definitely used a walkthrough for most of Riven (the sequel) though... The puzzles in the later games became much more intuitive and makey-sense-ish.

I just realized that I used ellipses way over my daily quota in this post alone.

And man-oh-man, I wanted jurassic park dinosaurs so badly when I was growing up--especially the "battle-damaged" ones with chunks of flesh that came off to reveal bones and gore.

My parents wouldn't buy me any.

That was the very first PG-13 movie my parents let me watch. I think I was 8.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:17 am

jmatthew wrote:That was the very first PG-13 movie my parents let me watch. I think I was 8.
The first for me too! Except it was 11+ in Sweden and I was 10...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 am

jmatthew wrote: And man-oh-man, I wanted jurassic park dinosaurs so badly when I was growing up--especially the "battle-damaged" ones with chunks of flesh that came off to reveal bones and gore.
Yeah my neighbors had like five of those ones. They seriously had somewhere around 25 to 35 dinosaurs, the biggest of which being a T-rex with a mouth big enough to eat the people that came with it. And I had a couple dinosaurs myself, so we seriously would make jurrassic park, have our four Jeff Golblums drive around in a car, and then kick ass when the dinosaurs broke out.

jmatthew
Minifig

Post by jmatthew » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm

i did the best that i could with my Land of the Lost<sup>TM</sup> Treehouse playset. There were some fierce log rolling battles, let me tell you.