BrikSpace

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

BrikSpace

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Okay, so far we (kidko and I) have created a Google Notebook for all of the rules we have so far. It's a game we based off of Vanguard (for those of you who weren't following that thread). You can find that here.

Basically, we go over how you go about calculating and building your ship. We have ship types, engine types, basic size categories, Cp cost, etc. No, you can't edit it. Any complaints go here. Please, no complaints.

The web page that that link leads to changes every time we save our work in the editing window, so that will be updated whenever. So use that link, don't ask me for moar.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Just to clarify, is it a stand-alone game, or is it to be implemented into Brikwars?
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Definitely using the Brikwars rules. Just with some modifications. You can strip that entire section about minifigs and heroes and such right out.

But it is still under development. I'll talk to kidko about trying out some hero ships or some-such. We're trying to keep the spirit of Brikwars, just making it into large scale space battles (kind of like what happened with 40K and Battlefleet Gothic).
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 pm

I've seen fifteen people come and go. Does nobody care?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Flashhawk
Champion
Champion

Post by Flashhawk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 am

Sure we do!!
But we also surely like to see something before getting all raged up :D
So give us a pic or two and some "rules-clarification"
Flashhawk
First things that die in a Battle?
* Innocence
* Truth
* Honor
* Loyalty

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am

Yes, FlashHawk is right. I was waiting for somebody else to post since you didn't put very many rules. It looks like you expect us to know what you're talking about even though we can't read your mind. So please, like FlashHawk said, give us some pictures and clarification.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, that's all the info needed. Thanks! I'll get something up in short order. And, as I said, check the link every once and a while, and there'll probably be something new up. I'm going to try and get some development done every single day besides the weekends (I don't know about kidko). So expect to see new rules ideas and what-not. Also, again, any suggestions can go in this thread.
-=[ Visage ]=-

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 pm

well what we mean is that we go to the page and it's just "well, here you go", and vomits out statistics. i'm sort of understanding it, but only sort of. as stupid as it sounds, throwing in pictures, humor, and more examples will help a lot. that and the fact that you have "damage ratings" without telling us what that means (and i sure hope that you don't mean that a weapon does a set amount of damage every time it hits). that and the fact that we have no idea what kind of hull strengths we can deal with.

and as a side note: people have this boneriffic misconception that a rail gun is some massive weapon that spews out massive amounts of lazorz and death. if you've done research, you should understand that a railgun can be made small enough for an individual soldier to use as a rifle. a railgun simply uses electricity to create an electromagnet with an electric field that launches big chunks of metallic magnetic crap at high speeds. they also fire almost instantaneously - so there'd be no need for a charge phase (although a cool-down phase would be realistic).

and speaking of individual soldiers, what about boarding parties? some of the best ways ships have been taken down (both in actual naval combat and fictional accounts of space combat) by a small (or large) team of marines, boarding parties, pirates, etc. getting on board and either forcing surrender, killing the crew, or blowing the ship from the inside out.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 pm

is this minifig scale or micro scale??? honestly??

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Da Link wrote:1) Set a goal size in inches. Every inch (3 studs) is roughly 150 feet; your average small ship is about 300 feet long, or 2" (6 studs).
I'd say micro-ish.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 pm

it's at least nano. if not smaller (remember, in micro, minifigs are one brik high. in nano, they're a single PLATE in height).

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Doesn't really have a scale. And if you really tried to categorize it, you'd probably end up somewhere in the vicinity of "nano-micro-macro-minifig-molecules". So, pretty small, but insanely huge compared to minifigs. Considering you average Mothership is about fifteen minifigs long... in normal Brikwars, that'd be close to a fighter craft!
-=[ Visage ]=-

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 pm

IVhorse da Man wrote:it's at least nano. if not smaller (remember, in micro, minifigs are one brik high. in nano, they're a single PLATE in height).
Let's see....

Assuming that one minifig represents a human that is 6' in height, and minifigs are 4 bricks high, in minifig scale one brick tall is 1' 6". In microfig scale, one brick represents one minifig, at 6'. In nanofig scale, one brick is 18' tall (6' x 3).

Real LEGO 1x1 bricks are 10mm tall and 8mm wide. So in nanofig scale, 10mm (real)=18' (not real). 18' in milimetres is 5886.4mm, courtesy of Google. If we round that up to 5890mm, the nanofig scale is 10:5890, or 1:589.

Da Link wrote:1) Set a goal size in inches. Every inch (3 studs) is roughly 150 feet; your average small ship is about 300 feet long, or 2" (6 studs).
In the SpaceWars scale, 3 studs (24mm) is equal to 150'. So 24mm (real)=45 720mm (not real), courtesy again of Google. This means the scale is 24:45 720, or 1:1 905.

This SpaceWars scale is way smaller than nano.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 pm

That it is. Oh, and as for IV Horseman's mention of Damage Rating, no, it's not a set number of damage, it's a set number of DICE. D6's, to be exact.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:41 pm

And if anybody's interested, minifig scale is about 1:49.

To Olothontor: Put that in your Google thingie. Actually, you should clarify a lot of things in your Google thing. I can kind of work out what the Maximum Extras thing in your ship overviews is, but what does that include? And do ships have to fit into a category? Another thing is that with your armour the ARs go 4, 8, 22. Is there nothing between?

By the way, as you state that:
Da Link wrote:BrikSpace uses most of the Brikwars rules, minus the sections about minifigs, creations, and heroes. So, attack is a d6 roll, armor is the ships Armor Rating (+ whatever shielding)
I would like to alert you to the fact that attack rolls are skill rolls and armour is also a die value, not static. It only appears so in Minifigs because they're so common. I'm just saying, so if you want to simplify it that's your choice.