CASTLE

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

which is better the old hack your arms off dark ages of the new kill you from a mile away age of guns.

Dark age
64%
Gun age
36%

Total votes: 33

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 pm

piltogg wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:
piltogg wrote:hmmm that could realy be hard since MFs move 5 inches a turn coffcoffcangeitnow!!!plzplzplzplzplzcoffcoff :)
Uhhh
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
5 inches (infantry) is not enough to move across large fields so i said you should change it (possibly 6 inches) or make nice rules about spending extra cp to train your army to walk faster.
I had this feeling that that's what you were going to say, but somehow I wanted to convince myself that it wasn't true. Now all my hopes are dashed. Just how far apart are you starting your armies? And why?

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:43 am

Can you believe that there are some people who like to simple shoot there victims vs. Hacking them to pieces and being drenched by there blood. Man there are some lazy people out there!
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Zahru
Officer

Post by Zahru » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:26 am

I prefer combining them too.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:10 pm

actually i prefer shooting. what can i say? sure you've got good old fashioned sword dueling combat where two warriors go out and do battle for hours until one finally falls in glory. or you could always just, you know. shoot him from a couple feet away.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Rayhawk wrote:
piltogg wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:
piltogg wrote:hmmm that could realy be hard since MFs move 5 inches a turn coffcoffcangeitnow!!!plzplzplzplzplzcoffcoff :)
Uhhh
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
5 inches (infantry) is not enough to move across large fields so i said you should change it (possibly 6 inches) or make nice rules about spending extra cp to train your army to walk faster.
I had this feeling that that's what you were going to say, but somehow I wanted to convince myself that it wasn't true. Now all my hopes are dashed. Just how far apart are you starting your armies? And why?
about 12 inches so with a castle game if an attacker moves up to a defenders position it would take 3 full turns

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:24 pm

piltogg wrote:
Rayhawk wrote:Just how far apart are you starting your armies? And why?
about 12 inches so with a castle game if an attacker moves up to a defenders position it would take 3 full turns
All right! So far so good. Next, those in the audience who who have the courtesy to read things before hitting the reply button may have noticed that that was in fact a two-part question. I'd like to point your attention to the two words "And why?" with which I concluded the post. To expand the question further, now that I have more details:

If you know that it takes three full turns to reach the defenders, why are you starting 12 inches away?

sullis3
Warrior King

Post by sullis3 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:34 pm

piltogg wrote:5 inches (infantry) is not enough to move across large fields so i said you should change it (possibly 6 inches) or make nice rules about spending extra cp to train your army to walk faster.
The army-upgrade rule is already there. For every additional 1CP per trooper, you can increase their speed by 2" (see: Fleet Feet).

You could also take advantage of the extra effort rule and force your troops to overexert themselves. You get to move further, at the risk of watching them crumple into helpless balls of jelly (see: Extra Effort).

There are problems with increasing the speed, too. In some ways, it can diminish the overall experience. If somebody can sail from point A to point B in one turn, then they have no incentive to interact with the environment between points A and B. It's much cooler when your trooper has to run and dive behind a tree to get some cover from archer fire, then dash into an open door the next turn to avoid the incoming mortar shells. (see: otherwise you might as well fight on a boring open field like a doltish British Soldier in the Revolutionary Era).
"Forsooth, mine eyes doth rove of their own accord." - CBG

ninkybob
Champion
Champion

Post by ninkybob » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

Both!

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:54 pm

sullis3 wrote:The army-upgrade rule is already there. For every additional 1CP per trooper, you can increase their speed by 2" (see: Fleet Feet).

You could also take advantage of the extra effort rule and force your troops to overexert themselves. You get to move further, at the risk of watching them crumple into helpless balls of jelly (see: Extra Effort).
Man, I grant you "Old" privileges for less than an hour and already you're coming in to confuse the young people with outdated ideas from a forgotten era. Fleet Feet and Extra Effort are from the 2001 book, they're so last edition. Please take a minute to consider his reading comprehension skills before sending Piltogg into that decrepit and dusty omnibus.

The proper sections to look at are Sprinting (in 4.1: Movement), which lets minifigs spend an Action to run 1d6 extra inches, and 7.2: Propulsion, which lets you buy additional Movement at 1CP per 2" (although watch the Speed Examples table to get an idea of "reasonable" movement limits).

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 pm

I already knew about both of thouse rules. (yes I did read 2001) also my group has come up with a solution to the movement problem...
ignore mikes silly odd number and just go with 6 anyway because then to make meashureing sticks just cut a ruler in half.

also we start 12 inches apart because it looks nice and the two turn head start makes it more easy for the defenders to set up

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:55 pm

piltogg wrote:we start 12 inches apart because it looks nice and the two turn head start makes it more easy for the defenders to set up
Okay, so to recap the discussion so far: the reason you don't like the current move rates is that it takes the attackers a couple turns to reach the defenders, but the reason you setup that way is because you want to give the defenders a couple turns before the attackers reach them. Am I following correctly?

Commander Evil
Hero

Post by Commander Evil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 am

i just pile in whatever weapons i can find and use them, regardless of setting.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Rayhawk wrote:
piltogg wrote:we start 12 inches apart because it looks nice and the two turn head start makes it more easy for the defenders to set up
Okay, so to recap the discussion so far: the reason you don't like the current move rates is that it takes the attackers a couple turns to reach the defenders, but the reason you setup that way is because you want to give the defenders a couple turns before the attackers reach them. Am I following correctly?
ok so those where bad examples. but what if (like me) you have a battle spanning your entire house and the objective is to capture cans of pop because otherwise you must drink water hahaha :twisted: that would require fast moveing minnifigs (yes, i did do this)

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Commander Evil wrote:i just pile in whatever weapons i can find and use them, regardless of setting.
I do the same, while also adding in a theme somewhere. Undying Tek, for instance, has lots of spears and hand weapons, and not as many guns. But they are still there. Also vehicles with bigger guns.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:27 pm

piltogg wrote:ok so those where bad examples. but what if (like me) you have a battle spanning your entire house and the objective is to capture cans of pop because otherwise you must drink water hahaha :twisted: that would require fast moveing minnifigs (yes, i did do this)
Well if you're going to choose a battle type that requires vehicles, then put vehicles in it! This is a dumb example, you might as well tell me that minifgs need to be fixed because it didn't work when you tried to use them to assault the Death Star.

It's like saying that cars are useless because they can't drive across the Atlantic. If you have to cross the Atlantic, the solution is either to get on a plane or boat, or to choose a different trip that doesn't involve crossing large bodies of water, or really almost anything besides writing the car manufacturers to tell them their product sucks just because you can't drive it from California to Denmark. All that would do is make it obvious that anything you could possibly have to say would never be worth listening to.