CASTLE

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

which is better the old hack your arms off dark ages of the new kill you from a mile away age of guns.

Dark age
64%
Gun age
36%

Total votes: 33

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:40 pm

well... I like argueing and this seems to be the thing to argue about curently so no matter how stupid my examples are I put them out in case someone else who can formulate beter ideas into type beterly decides to translate.

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:06 am

I voted for 'Dark age', for it's much more fun to see some beheaded minifigs and bloody corpses with an axe-wielding berserker next to them.

As for this piltogg-Rayhawk 'debate' thingy, I support Rayhawk all the way. At our gun-involving games we start at least some 20" away, so riflemen can't shoot at the first round. If the battle has only CC weapons, the range will be reduced, maybe to 10-15", depending how we feel, if there is any fast-moving units (horses, ninjas) and something I forgot. The 'long' range is because then you can use some maneuvering. So, even when I understand piltogg a little, I have no idea why he complains about minifig movement.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 am

I was trying to give a smart comment, but my mind seems to have jammed a bit, so all i will say is:
I'd go for dark ages because slashing people with sword is just cooler...
unless you have automatic guns that is...

EDIT.. AND explosives, must have lot's and lot's of explosives
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Carda
Officer

Post by Carda » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:26 am

If you're looking for a good example of no-vehicle warfare, I point you directly to Team Fortress 2, specifically the 2fort capture-the-flag map. The bases are ridiculously close together. In fact, if I were to mix together a little rules cocktail here...

It takes a normal-speed character in TF2 around 7 seconds to run from one base to the other. In D&D rules, a round is 6 seconds long. Which means that in Brikwars, a minifig can move 5/6 of an inch in one second. So logically, if you're planning an infantry-only battle, your bases should only be about 6 inches apart.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 pm

yah that makes sense but who is stupid enuff to build thier base that close to their enemy's base

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:31 pm

People who don't want to take 4 turns to reach the enemy?
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:21 pm

I mean in a real world situation not in a game situation... :roll:

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Hypothetically a border could have two large military forces in rather close range, but I would doubt that 2fort for was built with reality in mind. Wars constantly have (had?) close range combat inevitably (front lines), thus bayonets, trench spikes, shotguns, etc. All this being said, this is not reality, this is Brikwars. If you feel compelled to have a driving narrative as to why the two forces couldn't reconcile their differences over tea and crumpets, fine. If you just want to see groups of miniature plastic models wipe each other out, fine. If you want to equip a 3 story tall metal man with a giant crossbeam saber, fine. It's allowed!
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:32 am

Actually, one of my favorite bits of dark-ages lore is of guys who'd build wooden castles overnight, right outside the walls of an enemy castle. It wasn't a realy common occurrence, since it was hard to get away with, but they'd make pre-fabricated wooden parts in a secret nearby location, then sneak them over in the dead of night and assemble them. Done properly, it looked like the result of wizardry rather than carpentry - imagine waking up one morning to find an enemy castle where there was none before!

Fortresses can also get packed together in a case where two enemies have conquered different sections of the same fortress.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Rayhawk wrote:writing the car manufacturers to tell them their product sucks just because you can't drive it from California to Denmark.
you know, if done right, this has potential to be a hilarious letter to write, ESPECIALLY if you get a response (which is likely).