Rockets and Launched Explosives vs Vehicles

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Funky Weasel
Officer

Rockets and Launched Explosives vs Vehicles

Post by Funky Weasel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 am

My friends and I had our first relatively large Brikwars recently - 300 points each with four players on a roughly 4x5 baseplate area. I loaded a few Size 3" BlackTRONium Rockets onto the BlackTRON Battlebus and launched one at a Size 6" Jupetron Rampant Rover Vehicle (pics when I nick a digital camera off a mate).

Due to the BTBb having an onboard AI (basic, D6 skill) and some good luck I managed to drop it in the lap of the driver. Firstly we discovered that crotch-aimed rockets were really funny when used against open-topped vehicles. Secondly there was some concern that rockets were really good for their CPs (yeah, we're new, we still care about some pretense to game balance :P ).

There was some confusion at the penalties for aiming a rocket generally at a vehicle for structural damage (as opposed to component damage), and how the expanding damage would be applied. Does it get applied from center of mass, or do you need to aim for an area of a vehicle with a rocket even when going for structural damage?
CONGRATULATIONS - you just WON The Game FOREVER. Or you can carry on being a humourless nugget - your call.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

When hitting for structural damage, the shot lands anywhere the defender wants it to land, as long as it's somewhere on the structure. Generally though, you're not supposed to really care, but sometimes it does in fact make a difference.

Funky Weasel
Officer

Post by Funky Weasel » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 pm

It does make a difference when you are dealing with larger than Size 1" heavy explosives:
For a multiple-d10 Explosion, after handling Damage for all the objects within the first two inches, remove the lowest die in the roll, and count the new total result on the dice that remain. All objects within the next two inches of radius take this new result in damage, and loose objects are Knocked Back a number of inches according to the number of dice remaining. Continue removing one die for every two inches and distributing damage and KnockBack accordingly, until no dice remain in the Explosion Damage.
Does the explosion ripple keep doing structural damage for each ring in the ripple? If you aim a Size 3" rocket at the center of a Size 6" vehicle you could do up to 3 structural damage. Hmm, now that I type it that seems reasonable - the ripple weakens further out lessening the likelihood of structural damage. Now a Size 6" rocket...

This is going to become interesting when I finish off my Size ~15" mobile command center my friends have asked me to build for an upcoming game of BrikWars: Ogre.
CONGRATULATIONS - you just WON The Game FOREVER. Or you can carry on being a humourless nugget - your call.

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm

crotch mounted weapon slots should be reserved for sticky cream guns(fires a stream of sticky cream that sticks minifigure to the spot).
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:52 pm

Crotch Mounted Weapon

Anyway, when a building gets attacked, I let the defender decide where the attack hits unless the attacker's skill roll was a critical success. That way, someone who makes a very skilled shot has the benefit of being more accurate. A critical failure is just a complete miss.

I don't bother calculating ripple, although it seems reasonable the way Funky Weasel put it.

The more awesome the explosion, the more blown-to-hell the vehicle/building gets. After a while you get pretty good at eyeballing how much destruction to cause. For example, I've watched enough action movies to know that shooting the front end of a jeep with an RPG would of course cause the thing to do a monster flip and then explode in midair (Regardless of how much you actually rolled for damage).
Last edited by Almighty Benny on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:53 pm

I occasionally calculate ripple, but only really if there's a chance that a fuel tank or an engine was caught in the blast.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Like IVHorseman said, it would be applied anywhere the defender wanted it to hit and the damage would be from there.

You could do this if you wanted the attacker to decide where it hits though:

Say you want the explosion to hit everyone in the middle of an open topped convertible straight on and expand the damage from that. Then you would target the central minifig (size 1) or a central element (like a seat, which you would then have to measure). Then you would adjust the use rating accordingly. It's explained somewhere in the ranged rules.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:58 pm

that sounds like it would take way too much time to be worth it

For me, a lot of what makes BrikWars fun is the pacing. Battles that take 20 minutes per turn get reaaaaalllly boring for everyone else involved. I know that some of you guys would have just as much fun measuring distances and calculating trajectories, though.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

tahthing
rather undermines the point of ranks.

Post by tahthing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:56 pm

a 20 minute turn can be fun if 19 minutes of that are used for messing around :lol:
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
How's that compression ratio?

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:40 pm

It really doesn't take that long if you have the rules open already. You just measure two things, distance and the size, then subtract or add a few numbers, roll a few dice, and then measure some more.

I like the mechanic side of things though, you're right.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:54 am

OneEye589 wrote:Like IVHorseman said, it would be applied anywhere the defender wanted it to hit and the damage would be from there.
Pretty hard to decide when you're playing Solo without rooting for anybody. Go for the funnyist thing that could explode, if there is any.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Funky Weasel
Officer

Post by Funky Weasel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:37 am

pesgores wrote:Pretty hard to decide when you're playing Solo without rooting for anybody. Go for the funnyist thing that could explode, if there is any.
Brikstubation?

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Funky Weasel wrote:
pesgores wrote:Pretty hard to decide when you're playing Solo without rooting for anybody. Go for the funnyist thing that could explode, if there is any.
Brikstubation?
Lolwut?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:46 pm

generally i reverse the table in the brikwars 2005 edition and apply it to the use rating of the weapon so that you nknow the number you have to get. to hit what you want compared to just hitting the vehicle.
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Fulizer
Minifig

Post by Fulizer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:02 am

how about dead in the middle of the side your aiming at? (can also be top (artiller) or underneath (landhark) in some circumstances)