Command Points

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Command Points

Post by Greenkey15 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Command Points add some “there’s more going on” to any battle. These don’t work well with anything pre-WWII, but anything after that should be great. Here’s how they work.

On any battlefield, there can be some “Strategik Points” represented by flagpoles or other items to signify their importance scattered throughout buildings, important hills, and other areas that seem like they would be worth capturing. Once you clear all the enemies from the area, you can raise your own flag on the area to show that you captured it. After that, every turn, you gain a “Command Point”. Command points are recorded by adding a team-colored pip to your side of the battlefield. These can be spent as well as saved to call in:

- 10 CP of supplies, minifigs, and vehicles
- A bombardment of explosives in strength equal to the amount of command points you are spending, which can be spread to several explosions (EX. you can spend 10 Command Points. You can get one massive 10d10 explosion, or 10 1d10 explosions scattered through the battlefield.)
- Anything else you deem appropriate.

That’s really all there is to it. There is nothing else to say except you can have battles based around capturing all the Strategik Points or amassing a certain amount of Command Points.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:23 am

The trick to this would be designing it so it didn't add huge delays to the game. Building out the possible reinforcements beforehand would work. Like, these "humvees full of troops off to the side of the battlefield are reinforcements, I can call one in whenever I get 10 command points," or something along those lines.

Stuff Is Possible
Hero
Location: Corona, California, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, The Universe.

Re: Command Points

Post by Stuff Is Possible » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:24 am

Greenkey15 wrote:Command Points add some “there’s more going on” to any battle. These don’t work well with anything pre-WWII, but anything after that should be great. Here’s how they work.

On any battlefield, there can be some “Strategik Points” represented by flagpoles or other items to signify their importance scattered throughout buildings, important hills, and other areas that seem like they would be worth capturing. Once you clear all the enemies from the area, you can raise your own flag on the area to show that you captured it. After that, every turn, you gain a “Command Point”. Command points are recorded by adding a team-colored pip to your side of the battlefield. These can be spent as well as saved to call in:

- 10 CP of supplies, minifigs, and vehicles
- A bombardment of explosives in strength equal to the amount of command points you are spending, which can be spread to several explosions (EX. you can spend 10 Command Points. You can get one massive 10d10 explosion, or 10 1d10 explosions scattered through the battlefield.)
- Anything else you deem appropriate.

That’s really all there is to it. There is nothing else to say except you can have battles based around capturing all the Strategik Points or amassing a certain amount of Command Points.
I used something similar to this in my last game except you could only do reinforcements. I like yours more though. Aerial bombing hooray!
Do you dare doubt the possibility?!

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Rayhawk wrote:The trick to this would be designing it so it didn't add huge delays to the game. Building out the possible reinforcements beforehand would work. Like, these "humvees full of troops off to the side of the battlefield are reinforcements, I can call one in whenever I get 10 command points," or something along those lines.
You would have to have some part of your army hang back for reinforcements. There is no question about that.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I do something very simaler to this in my non-brikwars wargameing exploits. Only there, you try to hold strategic areas to win the game, each one being worth a specific number of victory points if held when the time limit for the game is reached (usually midnight), captureing important enemy equipment can also give you victory points. of course this only maters much for brikwars if you are doing very large batles and campainging.

Bennanteno
Officer

Post by Bennanteno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 pm

^Yes, control points/victory locations are common in most wargames.

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:21 am

i love the idea here, i might use the command posts in my next battle and say whoever posseses the most after 10 turns wins.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

dcl32
Minifig
Location: In Afghanistan providing supressive fire with an M60

Post by dcl32 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:17 pm

i use this system all the time, yours is better because of off "map" supports. kind of like end war

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Post by 501stCadians » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:00 pm

This is from CoH-Points,Company Upgrades,Munitions,and Fuel. Thank-You. It's a good idea though.

More Dakka
Champion
Champion
Location: In the marmelade forest, between the make-believe trees.

Post by More Dakka » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 am

This is definitely a good supplement/alternative to just holding points to win. Good idea.
They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many- so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!

Smalex
Champion
Champion

Post by Smalex » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Sounds interesting. I'll have to experiment with this idea, could be funnn.

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 pm

501stCadians wrote:This is from CoH-Points,Company Upgrades,Munitions,and Fuel. Thank-You. It's a good idea though.
You got me. I did get the "command point" idea from COH. The way they are used is actually stolen from Dawn of War (the Requisition resource), as people are dropped down from space in the animations for the Space Marines. It is a good system, though, and deserved to be in BrikWars.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 am

Idea approved.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"