Second Brikspace Playtest

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

kidko
Officer

Second Brikspace Playtest

Post by kidko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:22 pm

Olothontor and I had a serious playtesting session during which we revised the Brikspace rules quite a bit. Our second game, while cut short, was a lot more balanced at fluid than the first. So, without further ado... The First Public Brikspace Game!

Here's the initials setup:

And closeups of the fleets... I'm red, Olothontor is the yellow fleet.

Now, a quick note. For the rest of the images, the fighters and missiles will be hard to make out. I've highlighted them: red for my Fighters & Bombers, yellow for Olothontor's, and green for any Missiles.

So, turn 1. I won the initiative roll. Even after moving, we're far away. All I can do is launch Fighters & Bombers and take potshots. One of these hits managed to knock off a Sensor Package from a Frigate. Here's how everything stands at the end of my turn:

Olothontor launches every fighter in his holds, and sends some Missiles my way. Potshots cripple my Missile Barge early on.

Turn 2. I release the rest of my Fighters & Bombers, and send some retaliation Missiles and continue to barrage the Frigate, taking its engine down. Missiles directed at the other Frigate start to wear it down as well.

Olothontor retaliates. First, he scatters the Fighters that a Shrapnel Missile was sent at. He starts picking off my Fighters/Bombers, and they drop pretty fast. Both Frigates come under fire; one is even destroyed.

It's my turn again. More missiles are directed at the good Frigate, and a Burst is sent towards the Missile Barge, but it hits Olothontor's Flagship and Freighter as well. My Flagship starts to lay down the wood, directing fire at the Missile Barge.

Olothontor starts to close in with his Fighters & Bombers:
Missiles start raining down; my Missile Barge is destroyed, and my Carrier, Flagship, and other Frigate are hit. The Frigate goes down, along with some of Olothontor's own Fighters and Bombers. Some ineffective potshots are directed at my still-operating Flagship.

Turn 4. Missiles take down a Frigate and Missile Barge, and start smacking around his Carrier and Flagship. Through some crazy luck of being in the right place at the right time, a lone Fighter takes down the other Frigate.

It's a last-ditch effort to finish the game, as Olothontor's dad is coming soon. He launches a Sub-Space Nuke, harming my Flagship and several Fighters, along with some of his own Bombers:
Some shrapnel rains down on my Flagship just as the game is prematurely ended.

The final battlefield, Olothontor poised for the win:

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Epic. Awesome. Sauce.

Also, my fleet from left to right: Aurora, my Freighter. Swordwind, my Carrier. Steel Chrysanthemum, my Flagship. Albatross, Frigate #1. Hammerstrike, my Missile Barge. Pelican, my Frigate #2.

kidko's force, left to right: Western Wind, his Frigate. Red Montana, his Flagship. Wandering Crab, his Freighter. Restless, his Missile Barge. Fallen Misery, his Frigate #2. And... a Carrier I can never remember the name of.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Great battle, good to see that fleet vs. fleet battle works great!

I'm thinking about running a solo brikspace battle sometime in the near future, any particular scenarios you want me to try out?
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmm. Any rules you want to see put into the game (for instance that tractor beam you seem to adore) you can test. Post results to the forums and we'll see what we can do.

You're certainly not limited to tractor beam. ANYTHING you wanna see (ship classes included (Interceptors)). Type up the adapted rules and play with 'em, see how well they work.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Got it, I was thinking about having a carrier and it's fighters take on a task force of space pirates or something to that effect.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 pm

As long as they're equal... gotta be careful about differences in fleet size. it's hard to make balanced. That's one of the few problems you get when you don't have an OVERALL max Cp limit.
-=[ Visage ]=-

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 am

You could make one fleet crowded but weak and make one the opposite. That would kinda balance the fleets.

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 am

Did you read the Battlefleet Gothic rules for Fighters? They work better than individual ships.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 am

My whole family plays WH40K and WHF, but nobody I know plays Battefleet Gothic. So, no, I haven't.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am

The rules are free, I'll post a link.

EDIT: here

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks, I'll look into it.

EDIT: The Scenarios PDF also looks promising for BrikSpace inspiration...
-=[ Visage ]=-

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm

this is some serious stuff. you should get rayhawk to post it in the offical brikwars rules.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:31 pm

I've sent him a PM asking him to look it over. He doesn't frequent the forums however, so I have no response from him.

Although I COULD send him a message on Facebook, I'm not sure it would be advisable to bother him with it. It IS after all Facebook, and nothing one brings one's work into.
-=[ Visage ]=-