Ambush in Sector XIX

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Ambush in Sector XIX

Post by MasterEcabob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Off in the remote Sector XIX, the Slindonian flagship Capricorn is ambushed by a trio of Space Pirates! The flagship quickly scrambles its fighters, and prepares for the fight of it's life...

The Slindonian interceptors open up on the Pirates first.

When their attack fails, the fighters launch their assault.

And when they fail, the Capricorn fires its laser cannons.

First blood! The Space Pirate missile barge Splintered Jewel looses a missile port and a sensor array!

But the Pirate frigate Unlucky Charm strikes back with a powerful blast from its burst cannon.

Which claims fighter, interceptor, and bomber in the blast.

It then follows up with a light missile.

The main Pirate ship, a destroyer known as the Winged Vengeance, dazzles the Capricorn with its two powerful laser cannons, overwhelming the flagship's shields.

It then fires off a single missile to deal with the incoming bomber threat.

The Splintered Jewel then fires at the Capricorn with it's giant laser, but is unable to penetrate the ship's powerful armor.

So instead it makes due with aiming a volley of missiles at the flagship instead.

As it is now the end of the first turn, this would probably be a good time for an Overwatch. Unfortunately I can't seem to find one for some reason. Anyway, on to turn two...

A pair of fighters regroup and, with the help of a bomber, pummel the Unlucky Charm.

KABOOM! The attack destroys the frigate's missile launcher and burst cannon, leaving the ship weaponless!

Meanwhile two interceptors dispatch a pair of missiles.

Next up, the last three fighters gang up on the Splintered Jewel.

And knock out it's second missile port!

Then the final bomber, joined by two interceptors fire at the Winged Vengeance, but their attacks bounce harmlessly off the destroyer's shields.

Finally, the Capricorn preps its engines...

Aha, here's that Overwatch, not too bad I guess, just a half-turn late.

The remaining two missiles close in on the Capricorn, and one of them hits.

Knocking off one of it's laser cannons!

Defenseless and weaponless, the Unlucky Charm does the only thing it can do: ram the nearest enemy ship.

The Winged Vengeance decides to even up the score a bit.

Success! The Capricorn's other laser cannon is destroyed!

It then fires off two missiles at the last remaining bombers.

The Splintered Jewel also tried to fire it's giant laser at the Capricorn, but rolled a critical failure and missed.

And now for a quick Overwatch (in the right place this time!)

And now on to turn 3...

With the Unlucky Charm out of the way, two interceptors and a fighter take the liberty to fire on the Winged Vengeance. Unfortunately though, their attacks simply bounce off the destroyer's shields.

Meanwhile, a trio of fighters open up on the Splintered Jewel, but their attacks are unable to breach the missile barge's armor.

On the other side of the battlefield, the Capricorn suddenly bursts into flames!

But wait! It just as suddenly reappears behind the main debris field. It warped!

And now it's escaped the wrath of the last missile!

Or has it? Thanks to the missile's state of the art seeking capabilities, it quickly relocates the Capricorn and changes course!

The Winged Vengeance turns and fires its last missile at the fighter trio. Unfortunately, the missile fails to kill even a single fighter.

The Splintered Jewel, on the other hand, is slightly more lucky.

Oh no! There go the Capricorn's engines! One more hit and like that and it's done for!

Another quick Overwatch. Man, look at the size of that debris field!

And now for turn 4...

The remaining fighters and interceptors unleash all of their firepower on the poor Splintered Jewel.

Their barrage destroys the frigate's giant laser and its engines, reducing it to little more than a giant floating hunk of space debris.

The missile impacts against the Capricorn vulnerable flesh, but the armor holds just barely.

The Winged Vengeance opens up on the fighters, but its big lasers don't even stand a chance of hitting them.

Another handy Overwatch, only a handful of ships left now.

And on to turn 5...

The interceptors finish off the Splintered Jewel.

The same can't be said for the fighters, who still can't seem to get through the Winged Vengeance's shields.

Realizing that he doesn't stand a chance against the remaining fighters, the Space Pirate captain decides that a tactical retreat is in order.

And thus the Slindonians win by default with four fighters and four interceptors left along with their flagship.

A final little Overwatch.

For a test of the new brikspace rules I'd say this battle went rather well. I was interesting pitting a group of fighters and their flagship against a group of missile barring Space Pirates. I've learned a lot from this test and will be sure to take that knowledge into account when I do my forum battle.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:28 am

Great battle nice job!

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:39 am

I laughed when the Unlucky Charm rammed an enemy only to blow up itself... ramming is truly the greatest form of space combat. If I ever do Microspace war, I'll stick huge pointy things on the bow of all my ships. Troll swords would look nice.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 am

Whoa, awesome work. It wasn't frictionless, was it?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 am

Nope, he was just using my rules.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Post by halo 3000 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 am

cool! any plans for bigger battles?
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 am

Theblackdog wrote:Whoa, awesome work. It wasn't frictionless, was it?

Nope, if it frictionless the Winged Vengeance would have been able to turn around and blast the fighters.

Your rules were great TBD, but like I said in the Brikspace thread, Olothontor's simple rules are the 2005 Brikwars rulebook to your 2001 one. And I personally prefer the 2005 version.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Really? Admittedly the movement system is much simpler in Olothontor's version, but his weapons and stats are a lot more complex. Of course, I do always say that complex stats are better than complex gameplay, so I guess that you're right.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 pm

His accuracy/agility system is a lot simpler than your silhouette one and he his "keep playing until everything important is destroyed" hp system is simpler too.

But mainly the movement system. I'm sure frictionless space is an awesome and realistic system, but its way too complicated for me and honestly when has brikwars ever been about realism anyway?

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:25 pm

I honestly don't see how the accuracy system is simpler than mine. In both games the attacker rolls a number of dice which is (usually) inversely proportional to the weapon's firepower vs. a fixed value which is inversely proportional to the target's size, and if he rolls higher than that value he hits.
I will concede that his damage system is simpler than mine, but I don't like the fact that it limits ships' abilities as they're damaged. In reality (I think I said this somewhere else on the forum) the most likely result of an attack on a ship is that structural supports take damage until the ship crumples like an accordion under acceleration stress.
I think his rules' biggest advantage over mine is that my Brikspace rules can't handle giant epic fleet battles or huge swarm attacks with fighters and missiles. That's realistic too; the spaceships we have now cost us billions and it's unreasonable to expect that ships which are bigger and more complex will cost us any less.
And, finally, about movement: the point wasn't really about realism -- the "realistic" view of space combat is that weapon ranges will be so great and velocities so high that movement isn't really a factor But my intention was to create an experience that was as different as possible from regular Brikwars, or Brikwars with all tanks or planes or seagoing ships or whatever, and that's why I put the frictionless movement rule in.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:19 am

Lol OK looked nice I didn't read the whole report.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

benkim123
Dimmy

Post by benkim123 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 am

I don't think necessity is the mother of invention - invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble.
Agatha Christie