BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes: 46

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:37 am

To solve the engine problem more simply, just assign a number to each class, going from smallest to biggest (Fighters are Class 0, Frigates are Class 1, Destroyers are Class 2, Cruisers are Class 3). I did this for my rules, and it simplified a lot of rules which related to ship size and class immensely. For example, the Class number times some fixed multiplier determines how many missiles of a certain type a ship can hold.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:15 pm

The Board of Developers is insistent on giving each ship class a movement rating, and then allowing ships to buy Engines on top of that.

I say that ships should simply start with a 1" drift move, and that they should buy Engines individually.

I also believe that there should be a two engine Maximum for every ship, so that you won't have ships jumping across the field turn one and ramming something. Suicide Frigates were apparently underestimated on my part.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:06 pm

suiside missile barge!!
fire all the missiles and then crash into something!
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:13 pm

These updates can you like post them on the first page so we don't have to go sifting thro all the pages
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:14 pm

There's no sifting involved. If there's an update, it's here, and if there's an update, it's in the rules. If you desperately need an update and are too lazy to do it yourself, simply ask me to find it for you.

Although I may harangue your lethargy.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:51 pm

I think that weapons shouldn't be destroyed when hit, but each armor class has a certain amount of hitpoints (I.E. Light Armor has 1, Medium has 3, and Heavy has 5), and those are normally taken out, though you can still target the individual parts of the ship with fighters, bombers, and interceptors.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Hmmm. It's a nice idea, but I think more than anything else I'd like to keep this simple. That would be straying from the path just a bit.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Just a thought, but Destroyers are normally thought of as being smaller than Cruisers.

EDIT: Unless they're Star Destroyers.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Star Destroyer was kinda what I was going for.
-=[ Visage ]=-

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 pm

but a star cruiser must be bigger?
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't imagine so. I think Cruiser, and I think of something not small, but not overly large either.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 am

MasterEcabob wrote:I can't believe I didn't think about it eariler, the easiest thing to do would be to devide the ships into three classes.

Command Ship Class:

Flagship
Dreadnaught
Space Station

Capital Ship Class:

Destroyer
Carrier
Missile Barge

Support Ship Class:

Cruiser
Frigate
Freighter

We could use these three classes to make determining base engines, armor values, and cargo limits a TON simpler than they are now. But as for using it to unbreak ramming...

When ramming, each class of ships gets to roll a certain number of die, with the Command ships getting 3, the captial ships getting 2, and the support ships getting one. Fighters/interceptors/bombers don't get to roll any dice.

Once a ship has rammed another ship, both the ramming and defending ships roll their die and whoever has the higher roll survives while the other one is destroyed, which is basically a really dumbed down version of Rayhawk's charge rules.

But if we make it like that ramming will be completely up to chance? Not intirely, because we keep in your Add-an-extra-point-of damage-for-every-inch-the-ship-goes-before-they-ram rule. This means that any ship ramming will have the advantage over the other ship since they will be moving while the other ship won't. It also means that a single fighter can do an automatic six points of damage to a ship. While that doesn't sound like much against heavy armor, imagine a full squad of them ramming together. The catch though is that a fighter always dies when ramming, even if it destroyes the other ship. And since they don't get to roll any dice during a ram, any fighter that gets rammed by another ship automatically dies, which gives ships another way to kill those impossible-to-hit interceptors AND another usable dogfighting tactic.

I also though of a way to make the defence batteries actually useful. First though we would need to change the rule on destroying missiles so that they have no armor and instead have a agility rating of 16. We keep the part about the batteries automatically destroying missiles, but instead of leaving it at that, we give them 4d6 accuracy and set it so they only kill something when they get LOWER than the target's agility rating. This makes them very useful against missiles, fighters, and even frigates, but literally useless on anything bigger than a cruiser.
Holy crap! You've been doing some insane brainstorming! Great job, Ecabob. I think these are brilliant, but I figured that I should pose them to the BrikSpace "fanbase" (if I can even call it that) and see what you all thought of them. They certainly outshine the current rules.
-=[ Visage ]=-

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Post by halo 3000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:21 am

I like it, especially the defence batteries. we now have a good anti fighter weapon.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

Dragonfire666666
Officer

Post by Dragonfire666666 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I thought burst cannons were anti-fighter weapons its what I used them for.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Burst cannons are pretty much anti-swarm weapons, they're useful against a hoard on incoming enemies, but not nessesarily good at taking down single ships (only 50% chance to hit).

Defense batteries, on the other hand, were designed to be used against a single, fast and hard to hit ship/missile.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!